Attention PE texturers! Eyelid correction coming up.

• Recently it was discovered that PE's eyelids' UV vertices were so close together that they left little room for adequate detail. If you used 3d painting apps like zBrush or 3Dcoat, you wouldn't have noticed, but if you rely on photoshop to add stuff like make up, things would start looking bad. Besides that, it resulted in @bagginsbill almost reciting ancient demonic spells, which is not a good thing. So this did need to be changed.

However, I wasn't sure I could pull it off since poser likes working in polygroups which not all applications understands. Finally, especially after seeing people still being so enthusiastic about PE here, I just manually edited the UV map in UV mapper (yes, uvmapper) and now it looks a log better.

So, I have decided (together with my team) that its for the better to come with the new eyelid UV now, especially since we're actually coming out of the 'Early Edition' and going towards the official ONE version.

If you are a texturer and you've already made stuff for PE, please email me here: erogenesis.art AT gmail dot com and will send you the new mesh that you can replace with the old one to see if you need to do any adjusting. Give me a few days though because I need to make absolutely sure everything is absolutely ok.

Also, if you know any other texturers that need to know this, let them know!!! I will also look around!

Please look at biscuits' post here to see the difference.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hello guys,
    Just uploaded a video on how to rework an existing UV-Unwrap in Blender using PE (with Ero's permission to use PE), and I used this eyelid discussion as example.
    Hope you all enjoy, and best regards, Tony

• @vilters said in Attention PE texturers! Eyelid correction coming up.:

Hello guys,
    Just uploaded a video on how to rework an existing UV-Unwrap in Blender using PE (with Ero's permission to use PE), and I used this eyelid discussion as example.
    Hope you all enjoy, and best regards, Tony

hehehe that's cool. Thank you vilters. This can really help. Blender is so strange with how they've set up the UI and shortcuts, you need tutorials to use it. This is a good one.

I found a trick with max what all I need to do is edit the UVS in max with a welded mesh, and make sure I have the materials in tact, and then after exporting, all I need to do is make sure all the groups and mats are ok for that one bodypart, and I can export and import the UVS for that bodypart back into the old UV map, essentially replacing it. The blender way seems a LOT easier though, but I think I'll have to get used to blender's controls first.

I much appreciate your time for making this tutorial. It will probably prove helpful soon.

• Poser Ambassadors

Thanks for the comments Ero.

Yes, if you use the correct import and export settings for the obj file, (that can be found here, but also in my very first Poser2Blender2Poser video), you don't have to worry about the obj file at all.

Vertex groups and UV fields, all are taken care of by using the correct import-export settings. :-)

For the actual work? => It is just a matter of isolating the head Un-wrap by selecting it, and forget all the rest. LOL.
    Export the fresh obj using the correct export settings, change both lines in the cr2 to the fresh one, and you are good to go.

3D is always about having fun and learning the tools at hand. Ha-ha-ha-ha-, and yes the shortcuts... LOL.
    Every app has them . LOL. That's why I payed so much attention to naming them properly. LOL.

All the best with PE.

• @Vilters.

Nice tutorial.

Question time now.. Whereas you just worked with one side of the UV Map in the tutorial. Does blender have a way to mirror the changes you made to the the other side, or perhaps symmetry as you are making the changes, or do you have to do the both side selection, which doesn't work so well if you have to move things left/right.

Look at your tutorial and you'll see what I mean, the double selection thing, if you drag left/right both go left/right instead of mirroring and one side going left the other right.

As you can tell I don't use blender much. Lol.

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis Thanks for the update Ero. I am glad till now I had no time to begin with texturing Evo.
    Otherwise I would have already a nervous breakdown lol.
    Yeh, Blender is tricky. The UI is something where I many times mess up and sit there and WTF?...Still a lot to learn.

• @Ladonna said in Attention PE texturers! Eyelid correction coming up.:

@erogenesis Thanks for the update Ero. I am glad till now I had no time to begin with texturing Evo.
    Otherwise I would have already a nervous breakdown lol.

I think I can understand why hehe. But its such a tiny adaptation, you would have probably managed easily

Yeh, Blender is tricky. The UI is something where I many times mess up and sit there and WTF?...Still a lot to learn.

Blender is amazing with what it can do, seeing its for free and built by a community, but yeah that UI is other-worldy. I hear they're coming with an update that improves this though. I hope so because I'd love to start using blender more.

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis It is worth to switch. We switched to and never regret it. As hobby modeler like we, continuous updates ,or now Autodesk cloud are not worth the price. Here in Blender you have updates, upgrades for free and we support Blender while we buy sometimes from the market or we subscribe in the cloud.
    And the UI, i think after a while I get used to it too.
    At last , like my husband say, When you could use LW's freaking weird UI, than you can use Blender too lol.

• @Ladonna I actually think LW's UI is worse lol. Yes one day I'll probably make the effort. My girlfriend uses it on a regular basis so I've picked up a fair bit from looking over her shoulder. Its like with zBrush, also probably the most atrocious UI in the world, but it was worth suffering through it. Although I have to say, after so many years of using zBrush, it still confuses the hell out of me sometimes. I've actually switched to max for painting because zBrush just gets a bit ridiculous at times.

• @Ladonna Blender is the only modeling app I've ever used, so I learnt the UI while I learnt modelling so it wasn't that big of a pain for me.

• Poser Ambassadors

@erogenesis ZBrush, yeah, the UI is on my hate list on the top. I a always searching for some tools there and never can remember.
    With Blender I got now familiar and have to say, the more often I use it , the more I like it.
    It gives me all the tools I need for modeling and the support is amazing.
    And yes, LW is out of the box lol
    @amethystpendant I learned on Cinema4D modeling, switched to LW and also use very often 3DSMax from my husband .
    Blender was a huge challenge for me ,but I really like it now.

• @vilters Yes, I watched your video carefully, and I would also recommend it for anyone who is learning how to use Blender3D. I could also do the same in Shade3D, as what you are showing in Blender3D. Very helpful video, nonetheless. Thanks.

• @erogenesis the thing that always irked me the most about these other applications' UIs was that they predominantly required the use of a 3-button mouse. Having been an Apple trackpad fan for so long I don't think I'd remember which end of the mouse to plug in, the apps lack of consistent trackpad equivalents to the mouse buttons has mostly been a show-stopper for me. Even with a plug-in to emulate three buttons, it's as though the creators haven't even realised that not everyone has or wants a three-button-mouse.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.