Should Motion Blur Be A Default setting?

• So I was just watching a video on YouTube and I had to hit the pause button, and when I did, there it was the effect that most of us never use. Motion Blur. Now Wikipedia defines Motion Blur this way: Motion blur is the apparent streaking of moving objects in a photograph or a sequence of frames, such as a film or animation. It results when the image being recorded changes during the recording of a single exposure, due to rapid movement or long exposure.

Now here is a still frame of the video I happened to be watching when I paused it:
    0_1531439929512_469b3204-ff36-4796-843f-58658722995a-image.png

Now admittedly, the effect is very subtle here as she wasn't really moving that much at the time, but it is there. You can see it best around the hair and face.

• @eclark1849 not as obvious on the subject as on the background emitters, which are already out of focus, and exhibit discernible elongation. Maybe that's just because we're not seeing the contrast with the actual video. The human eye, retina and visual cortex have a similar effect called persistence of vision, due to the finite time to recycle rhodopsin in the rods and cones of the retina and the brain's inherent need to make sense of what the optic nerves present to it, IIRC, TL;DR.

Given my propensity to render still frames only (my animations are only ever done in preview mode, as I can't be bothered with postage stamp sized videos, and am not patient enough to wait for hundreds of frames to render in a decent size, and since Poser insists on terminating the animation render as soon as I switch to another application, so I can't do other things like browse, or post interminable, contrary opinions to pi... [bad hand, no soup for you!]

Anyway, the last time I actively used motion blur, many, many Poser versions ago, every frame was blurred, which wasn't what I was expecting. (OK, so the camera was orbiting the stationary figure, so nothing was static, so that was probably a bad example).

• @anomalaus You can also use Motion Blur on a single frame. I's not just for animation. For example let's say you wanted to show the blurring motion of helicopter blades in a still shot. Artisically, motion blur adds a little more realism into a render.

• I would love a simple way to have motion blur in still frames. Especially on things that spin.

• @eclark1849 true. IIRC from a previous thread the blur is calculated from the following? frame, rather than the prior frame.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here I have motion blur on a photo. Photo taken during driving ( I was not the driver :) ) Single shot .

BTW , this is the Croix de Lorraine . The departement where I live.

0_1531464925064_croixlorraine.jpg

• @eclark1849 said in Should Motion Blur Be A Default setting?:

@anomalaus You can also use Motion Blur on a single frame. I's not just for animation. For example let's say you wanted to show the blurring motion of helicopter blades in a still shot. Artisically, motion blur adds a little more realism into a render.

I think motion blur being a default on option would be more of an issue for new users.

Speaking of the helicopter blades, it's neat to see it used that way but it can get complicated very fast. The amount of blur you see on the spinning blades should be different than the blur on the blowing grass on the field which will be different than the blur on the guy running away/towards the helicopter and I have no idea how that could easily be done. I haven't worked with motion blur in Poser very much and even when I did it was super simple blurry single arms and hair flicks (like that video screen shot) to convey small fast movement for a slow shutter speed effect. If you're going for more realism you also need to consider using DoF along with motion blur. But I find both very annoying to work with in Poser even with being well versed in both techniques from college to my freelance photo/video work, yet somehow it doesn't translate as well in the 3d world... at least for me and Poser.

• It's sorta the same as a default Depth of Field, isn't it? I use Depth of Field in 99.9% of my renders now, bcause Superfly makes it fast(ish) and it just adds to the realism. At least if you want things to look like a photo.

IRL you don't notice DoF, because of course your eyes adjust depending on what you're looking at.

• @johndoe641

Motion blur for objects moving at different speeds in the same frame of the still is very easy. The amount of motion blur in a Poser frame is dependent on the movement change of the objects in the frame. Move two objects at different speeds and the amount of blur each object has in the rendered frame changes. It is not a static across the frame effect like DOF. It is a simple as it would seem. Move faster, more blur.

• Can someone confirm which frame the motion is compared to, if I'm rendering frame 15 is the blur calculated from Frame 14 or as someone has suggested frame 16?

• Poser Ambassadors

Tested for FireFly --

It is the motion TO the next frame that is captured. As well, you can choose what part of that motion from current frame to next using the camera parameters shutter_Open and shutter_Close. They are fractions of the interval from currrent frame to next. So for example, if the open-close is 0-.5 then you get the motion half-way to the next frame. If your open-close is .5-1 then the motion is starting half-way to the next frame and finishing in the position of the next frame.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's a thread from 2015 talking about various things regarding motion blur and DoF.

Lowest decent FF render settings for animation

0_1531481046123_d2b11388-f343-4f84-9c3f-792c1531d231-image.png

• Poser Ambassadors

@bagginsbill
    That info is so valuable it should be hammered in stone somewhere.
    Sir, with all respect, you should write a e-book.
    Or? Please put info like this on our site too.

• @bagginsbill Thank you, again! That is really useful knowledge to store.

• Poser Ambassadors

@bagginsbill Awesome, thank you.

• @vilters don't forget the off-planet backups! ;-)