Poserverse News Page

• A lot of times while I'm looking around the internet, I run across articles I think may be of interest to you guys. I'd like to post them here to Share them with you.

Blender 2.8 will have a Principled Hair Shader

This shader is an implementation of the paper by Chiang et al., which was used in the Disney film, “Zootopia”®. Documentation is available here.

Landed in both master and Blender 2.8. Will it come to EEVEE? Eventually parts of it can be made compatible but it won't look the same as this is quite raytracing heavy.

Artwork by Chris Chuipka, thanks!

https://www.blendernation.com/2018/07/18/new-hair-shader-blender-2-8/

• BTW, I can already hear some of you asking If it's in Blender, why post that here in the Poser Forum. Well, because it's a Cycles shader for hair is why, which means that eventually it could find it's way into Poser's Superfly. Just letting you know about the development.

• Poser Ambassadors

Both the 2.79b daily and the 2.8 builds have the new node.

• YouTube Blocks Blender Videos Worldwide

If you tried to view any videos on YouTube that were uploaded by the Blender Foundation, you may have been stymied from viewing the video due to You Tube blocking access to the videos.

Why? Well, according to the Blender Foundation, uh, they're not quite sure.

Last night the Youtube Support team contacted Francesco Siddi by phone. As we understand it now it’s a mix of coincidences, bad UIs, wrong error messages, ignorant support desks and our non-standard decision to not monetize a popular Youtube channel.

The coincidence is that Youtube is rolling out their subscription system in Europe (and Netherlands). This subscription system will allow users to stream music and enjoy Youtube ad-free. They updated terms and conditions for it and need to get monetized channel owners to approve that. Coincidentally our channel was set to allow monetization.

Anyway, as of today, YouTube has unblocked all Blender Foundation videos and they are once again available for viewing.

• Poser Ambassadors

Och, it is always the same thing with these money hungry "inventions".

First you launch YouTube. The thing becomes popular and advertising companies want a piece of the cake.
    Then the site becomes more and more popular but gets flooded with adds till the number of viewers start dropping due to the adds saturation..
    Then viewers have to pay to NOT see the adds.
    Then the advertising companies complain and the circle goes on and on.

In the end? ? As always? ? It all about the money.

And we? ? ? We pay the lot.

• @eclark1849 ??? I can access all of their videos on YT. Is this only happening to users in the Netherlands?

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship The service is first started in europe. It's a music streaming service kinda like spotify.

• @ghostship They should all be back by now. According to the notice from the Blender Foundation, YouTube has unblocked all the videos and made them available again.

• @eclark1849 I use an ad blocker on my PC and NEVER see ads on YouTube. The videos play without pauses or interruptions. Blender Foundation should just go ahead and monetize their channel and then donate the revenue. People who are smart use ad blocker anyway.

• @ghostship said in Poserverse News Page:

@eclark1849 I use an ad blocker on my PC and NEVER see ads on YouTube. The videos play without pauses or interruptions. Blender Foundation should just go ahead and monetize their channel and then donate the revenue. People who are smart use ad blocker anyway.

Me, too.

BTW am I the only one slightly puzzled by the sentence "Europe (and Netherlands)"?

Last time I looked, The Netherlands were firmly placed IN Europe ...

• CGBYTES Owner Passes Away

CGbytes has released the following statement in their forum:

It is with deep sadness that we must inform you that Andrew, the owner of CGbytes Inc., has passed. Andrew was a dear friend and colleague to the entire CGbytes family and he will be sorely missed. It was through Andrew’s vision and leadership that the CGbytes family of sites have grown to the amazing offering we all enjoy today and we are grateful to him for sharing so generously of his time and talents.

The CGbytes team would like to ensure all customers and artists that Andrew’s vision will continue into the future. Over the past year, Andrew had already stepped away from day-to-day duties of the site and the same amazing team he put in place will continue to operate all of the CGbytes Inc. sites.

We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude to all of our customers, artists, and friends as we grieve together for our lost loved one.

Andrew had an ambitious road map for the future, and we will continue to bring new content, technology, and innovation to this marketplace as he would have wanted.

Sincerely,
    The CGbytes Family

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl said in Poserverse News Page:

@ghostship said in Poserverse News Page:

@eclark1849 I use an ad blocker on my PC and NEVER see ads on YouTube. The videos play without pauses or interruptions. Blender Foundation should just go ahead and monetize their channel and then donate the revenue. People who are smart use ad blocker anyway.

Me, too.

BTW am I the only one slightly puzzled by the sentence "Europe (and Netherlands)"?

Last time I looked, The Netherlands were firmly placed IN Europe ...

Netherlands was probably added separately because the Blender contact was dutch.

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl Yep, just looked on the map. You are still there and not drifted away like Avalon :D

• India plans to use 3D paintings as virtual speed-breakers to make its roads safer

0_1532195814310_0ba8a06e-edb0-4017-9b31-44eff1a9bfcb-image.png

BY SONAM JOSHI
    APR 26, 2016
    The Indian government may use 3D paintings as virtual speed-breakers on major highways and roads, in a bid to check speeding and rash driving, and ultimately make its deadly roads a little safer.

Full story: https://mashable.com/2016/04/26/india-3d-paintings-speed-breakers/?utm_content=29653573&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#N6kMcOl4oPqJ

• While that's an interesting idea, somehow, I don't think it will help much. I will refrain from giving a full critique as posting it here would do no good.

I do like this news thread. There's plenty out there to miss and this can help us catch more.

• @Ladonna said in Poserverse News Page:

@trekkiegrrrl Yep, just looked on the map. You are still there and not drifted away like Avalon :D

Oh, but I'm in Denmark, a bit more to the north ;)

Also still attached to the rest of Europe, last time I looked ;)

• @eclark1849 said in Poserverse News Page:

@trekkiegrrrl Convenient map link: ;)

https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/europe_map.htm

Hahahaha I'm perfectly capable of knowing how Europe looks. And what is attached to which. ;)

Hard pressed, I can mention most US states, but apart from a select few, I wouldn't dare to place them on a map of the US XD

• Russian court finds in favour of FStorm, OTOY seeks reversal of the ruling
    Jul 10, 2018 by CGPress Staff

In a copyright dispute between OTOY and FStorm, the Russian Court have ruled in favour of FStorm, the GPU renderer developed by Andrey Kozlov, a former employee at OTOY who had formerly worked on Octane. Andrey Kozlov, was accused by OTOY of using IP from Octane to develop his software. The accusation was upheld by Justice Muir in the High Court of New Zealand who awarded  Otoy $50,000 in exemplary damages and granted permanent injunctions preventing the sale, download or supply of infringing versions of FStormRender
    Following this, the lawsuit continued in the Russian courts, and according to documents shared on the FStorm website, have ruled in favour of FStorm in a recent appeal.

CGPress has received the following statement from Lavely & Singer, P.C. the law firm acting as litigation counsel to OTOY in the case of OTOY v. Kozlov:
    OTOY is proceeding with all of its appellate rights, as the ruling from the Russian court last month is still subject to review by the Court of Cassation. In the meantime, the only final judgment in this matter is the one issued by the New Zealand High Court in 2017 whereby the Court entered a permanent injunction against Mr. Kozlov and ordered him to pay exemplary damages for infringing upon OTOY’s copyrights in and to Octane Render. Accordingly, OTOY is seeking reversal of the Moscow City Court’s ruling based on the overwhelming evidence of infringement, including the testimony of an independent expert witness who compared the two software programs and found substantial evidence proving that FStorm was unlawfully copied from Octane Render.

Full Story here: http://cgpress.org/archives/russian-court-rules-in-favour-fstorm.html