Poserverse News Page

• Poser Ambassadors

@vilters I am not active over FB since last year also.
    Had even nothing to do with the spying out. After they change stuff, I had a real pain over there. I get flooded with the same crappy posts over and over again , my subscriptions from CG stores , galleries don't pop up anymore, but the same selfies over and over again.
    My posts disappear also in the Nirvana . I got so p...of that I never return anymore.

• @vilters This is why I never got involved with social networking of any type. I do all my online socializing on my graphics forums. I don't need tweets, and other such nonsense constantly interrupting my day.

• That's cold: Japan tech blasts snoozing workers with AC

TOKYO (AFP) -
    Japanese office workers hoping to nod off on the job may need to sleep with one eye open thanks to a new system that can detect snoozers and blast them with cold air.

Air conditioning manufacturer Daikin and electronics giant NEC said Thursday they have begun trialling the system, which monitors the movement of the employee's eyelids with a camera attached to a computer.

The computer can automatically lower the room's temperature if it detects dozing at desks.

Full Story here: http://www.france24.com/en/20180726-thats-cold-japan-tech-blasts-snoozing-workers-with-ac

• 5G could change the video game industry forever
    by Eustance Huang

Long seen as one of the last frontiers of consumer cloud services, companies have been attempting to go the way of Netflix and Spotify by bringing video games to the cloud.
    Yet, issues such as high latency remain a common occurrence, resulting in inconsistent and inferior experiences as compared to their non-cloud-based compatriots.
    According to several analysts and researchers, 5G could be the answer to solving many of the critical issues faced.

Full story here: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/27/5g-could-change-the-video-game-industry-forever.html

• SO YOU WANT TO GET INTO THE GAME INDUSTRY…

WITH TYLER LOPES

During my time here at Boss Key, I’ve noticed that one of the most frequent question we’re asked is, “how do I get a job in the game industry?” Well, on the latest Boss Room (you can watch the embed below), we dove head-first into the subject by asking our veteran video game developers to give their tips on how to get into the industry. Some of this advice was brutal, and really adhere’s to the ‘No BS’ notion. I thought it would be good to get all the advice in one place and share with you all!

Full story here: http://bosskey.com/news/community-spotlight/want-get-game-industry/

• Using Blender for Movie Production

For the popular short films “Cosmos Laundromat” and "Agent 327, Operation Barbershop" - the Blender team, headed by CG pioneer and producer Ton Roosendaal, developed and used a complete open source creation pipeline. Developing and sharing open source technologies is a great challenge, and leads to great benefits for small and medium animation studios.

In this presentation, four people from the Blender Studio in Amsterdam will give their perspective on production and realization of high quality 3D animation movies in Blender. Topics that will be presented include production and funding, pipeline setups, asset management, modeling and texturing, character animation, lighting and shading, compositing and rendering. Examples of the latest short film "Spring" (in production) will be shown as well.

As a special bonus the presentation will start with the festival premiere of the short film "Hero" (3 minutes) - a short film showcasing the upcoming Blender Grease Pencil technology, which allows the creation of advanced 2D animation in a 3D enviroment.

Full story here: https://fmx.de/program2018/event/12907

• Alternative Paths to Glory

The world is opening up to content creators in unimaginable ways thanks to new platforms for digital production and new tools for data exchange and collaboration. We are already seeing people get new job opportunities because they don't have to go where the jobs are, but what's next? There is new content coming from independents, small studios, outsiders. This is fantastic work including documentary, special effects, and animation. Are we seeing new opportunities in distribution?

Full article here: https://fmx.de/program2018/event/12587

• SIGGRAPH: Performer2 Multi-View Changes the Facial Mocap Game

France-based Dynamixyz has released the world’s first commercially-available software solution to run markerless facial capture on multi-camera streams, in-house, unlimited: Performer2 Multi-View.

Tailored for demanding productions, the tech offers unprecedented 3D precision and organic-looking facial animations, making the most of multiple camera angles to improve both robustness and precision with accurate three-dimensional performance capture. Performer2 Multi-View is also a boost to productivity, as it cuts time spent on tedious steps like annotations and occlusions management and offering an efficient workflow.

While the approximation of marker-based mocap makes sense for body tracking, facial expressions combine motion and deformation of facial skin, exhibiting complex, continuous patterns of appearance changes. So, facial performance is best captured through a dense analysis of face geometry and texture, with every pixel acting as a measurement, as in markerless technology.

Full story here: http://www.animationmagazine.net/tech-reviews/siggraph-performer2-multi-view-changes-the-facial-mocap-game/

• The 10 rules of photo composition (and why they work)
    By Phil Hall

How to shoot the perfect picture
    (Quick Note: Yes, this is about photography, but many of the same rules apply to setting up your render. We thought it could be a useful read. -eclark)

Poor photo composition can make a fantastic subject look pretty dull, but a well-framed scene can create a wonderful image from the most ordinary of situations. 
    With that in mind, we've picked our top 10 photo composition 'rules' to show you how to transform your images from the mundane to the brilliant.
    Don't feel that you've got to remember every one of these laws and apply them to each photo you take. Instead, spend a little time practising each one in turn and they'll become second nature to you when you're out with your camera. You'll soon learn to spot situations where the different rules can be applied to best effect.

Full story here: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/photography-composition

• @eclark1849

It's like a photographers 101 from what I saw after a short glimpse over the pages.
    Really brilliant!

I think many here (esp. those with a non-photographic background) can make perfect use of the techniques described, to overall improve their renders.

I just wonder how the dickens you still can spare some time to hunt for such gems, besides all the other jobs you do?

Thank you a lot for all this!

Karina

• How to become anonymous online
    By Desire Athow

Where the internet was once seen as a bastion of privacy, online life today is quickly eroding our feelings of personal anonymity. Popular sites like Facebook have paved the way for people to delve into our personal lives like never before.

From the sites we visit to the transactions we make, everything we do online relies on some form of anonymity – or lack thereof. And while it may never be possible to be completely and utterly anonymous, there are several steps you can take to stay hidden on the web, and even some that can reduce the amount of spam and ads you’re often subjected to.

Your browser knows a lot about you, including the sites you visited and the services you use. If you visit an unencrypted website (i.e. one that doesn’t include HTTPS in the URL), your network could also be exposed. That means usernames, passwords, and credit card numbers are openly visible and are at risk of being exploited.

Perhaps worse, some websites also use the services of so-called tracking companies to monitor traffic. However, by installing a small piece of JavaScript on the site, people can monitor a lot more than just numbers of visitors.

The script is automatically downloaded and run when you open the page, and details such as your IP address, ISP, browser, and even screen resolution can all be monitored. While this may help web designers to create better websites, it's also possible to trace IP addresses to a general geographic location without ever having to go near your ISP's logs.

Full story here: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-become-anonymous-online

• AI-based framework creates realistic textures in the virtual world

Researchers to present new tool, much needed by virtual world artists, at SIGGRAPH 2018
    Many designers for the virtual world find it challenging to design efficiently believable complex textures or patterns on a large scale. Indeed, so-called 'texture synthesis,' the design of accurate textures such as water ripples in a river, concrete walls, or patterns of leaves, remains a difficult task for artists. A plethora of non-stationary textures in the 'real world' could be re-created in gaming or virtual worlds, but the existing techniques are tedious and time-consuming.

Many designers for the virtual world find it challenging to design efficiently believable complex textures or patterns on a large scale. Indeed, so-called "texture synthesis," the design of accurate textures such as water ripples in a river, concrete walls, or patterns of leaves, remains a difficult task for artists. A plethora of non-stationary textures in the "real world" could be re-created in gaming or virtual worlds, but the existing techniques are tedious and time-consuming.

To address this challenge, a global team of computer scientists has developed a unique artificial intelligence-based technique that trains a network to learn to expand small textures into larger ones. The researchers' data-driven method leverages an AI technique called generative adversarial networks (GANs) to train computers to expand textures from a sample patch into larger instances that best resemble the original sample.

Full Story here: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180716114557.htm

• @eclark1849 said in Poserverse News Page:

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-become-anonymous-online
    Link is "403 forbidden?

I think this technique might be highly interesting! Just think how it might improve large scenes like "Stonemason"s sets which all suffer from the poor resolutions of the texture maps (==unfit for close renders)!

If I understood that correctly, and this really works then we could feed n a relatively small texture map and get a tileable, high resolution map back, without the need for procedural texturing which all work differently in SF, FF, Octane, or DAZ.

That would solve a lot of us lowly prop creators a lot of extra work.

K

• For Model Makers
    Best 3D Design/3D Modeling Software 2018 (15 of 30 are Free)

by All3DP

Poser makes the cut! Comes in 24th of 30 of modeling software tools.

Full story here:
    https://all3dp.com/1/best-free-3d-modeling-software-3d-cad-3d-design-software/

• @eclark1849 said in Poserverse News Page:

For Model Makers
    Best 3D Design/3D Modeling Software 2018 (15 of 30 are Free)

by All3DP

Poser makes the cut! Comes in 24th of 30 of modeling software tools.

Full story here:
    https://all3dp.com/1/best-free-3d-modeling-software-3d-cad-3d-design-software/

That's actually a shame. Because it will make some people think that Poser's a MODELER, which it is not. Sure, you can make some things inside it, Dr Geep Showed us that, but it's just ... not a modeler

• @trekkiegrrrl I think it's a matter of how you look at it. First of all the actual title of the article say 3d DESIGN( which Poser claims to be) and 3D Moldeller (which as you say, Poser doesn't reaaally do).

• But you know how good people are at reading :P They read what they want to read ;)

• @trekkiegrrrl just like how I read that Smith Micro has bought E-On and will merge Vue with Poser!!!! Oh, wait, that was just a dream. :-( ;_;

• @eclark1849 why have they got four ears (or at least three visible ones)? I've heard of four or eight eyes, but ears? D-X