Poserverse News Page

• @anomalaus Just reportin' what I found. :)

• @anomalaus Sorry but I hated Vue. Bought a version of it back in like 2000 and just never liked the interface and the fact that the renders were not anti-aliased like Bryce.

• @ghostship You do realise that this story is NOT about Vue, right?

• @ghostship I'll admit I never played with Vue to the same extent I explored Bryce. I only mentioned Vue because Bryce is dead in the water.

• @anomalaus I remember, back in the day, when I so wanted Vue because everyone always said it was Bryce on Steroids, and I was only using Bryce back then, as I hadn't gotten into Poser yet.

It's unfortunate that Daz was able to get their hands on Bryce, because I'm convinced it would still be viable if it were in someone else's hands.

• @Miss-B exactly. It's the same with Hexagon, Bryce and Carrara. All viable, feature-rich and useful software items in their own right, until DAZ acquired them and consigned them to the Nil-by-mouth Zombie Dungeon. ["Bleedin' favoritism! Wha[t] I wouldn't give ta be spa[t] a[t] in tha face! pp. MP:LoB]

• @anomalaus
    Hexagon is alive!
    It's just had a core re-write, is now 64bit (and is free).

• @prixat Woo! hoo! Off to download it now!
    Hmmm, new public beta, but no 64-bit Mac version yet... waiting, waiting...
    They'd better get their act together before Apple stop supporting 32 bit applications altogether.

• @anomalous How in the name of "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" did we get from an article about weird plastic surgery to Hexagon? :?

• @eclark1849 responding to @trekkiegrrrl 's "read what they want to read", as in "wishful thinking". I simply provided an example of something I wished for. It's just word association football ;-)

• Microsoft's DirectX Raytracing paves the way for lifelike gaming, the graphics holy grail
    By Brad Chacos

The PC industry is finally making a push toward a “holy grail” rendering technique that makes computer-generated imagery in movies appear so much more lifelike than the graphics in games. At GDC 2018 on Monday, Microsoft introduced a new “DirectX Raytracing” (DXR) feature for Windows 10’s DirectX 12 graphics API.

To coincide with the announcement, Nvidia announced “RTX technology” for enhanced DXR support in upcoming Volta graphics cards, as well as new ray tracing tools for its GameWorks library that can help developers deploy the technology faster. Likewise, AMD said it’s “collaborating with Microsoft to help define, refine and support the future of DirectX 12 and ray tracing.” And top gaming engines like Unity, Unreal, and Frostbite are already planning to integrate DirectX Raytracing.

This is a big deal, in other words. Let’s dig into why real-time ray tracing matters, what’s needed to use DXR features, and why DirectX 12’s ray tracing support might make the games of tomorrow look better than ever. It’s a complex subject that we’ll cover at a very high level. But basically, better lighting, shadows, and reflections mean better graphics overall.

Full Story here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3263746/components-graphics/microsoft-directx-raytracing-dx12-features-hardware-software.html

• 3D technology helps assess world heritage sites
    By Tim Sandle

Digital Archaeology is an emerging field designed to address the changing and growing role of digital technologies in all aspects of archaeology and heritage management. This includes the use of advanced digital photography, which help to uncover and preserve the past.
    An example of the techniques available includes Reflectance Transformation Imaging (or 'polynomial texture mapping'). This process involves synthesizing multiple images, which are taken from a fixed camera position at different light angles. This enables a dynamic digital version of an object to be realized. The image quality permits subtle of textures to be revealed in fine detail. This technique has been deployed by Ben Altshuler of the Institute for Digital Archaeology. Altshuler has used the technology to scan the Philae obelisk at Kingston Lacy, plus the Parian Chronicle at the Ashmolean Museum. Considerable volumes of digital archaeological data is now curated in repositories.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-and-science/science/3d-technology-helps-assess-world-heritage-sites/article/528597

• Apple could be used as a 'bargaining chip' in the trade war, Chinese state media warns
    by Arjun Kharpal

Apple has benefited from cheap labor and strong supply chain in China which has helped it boost profit and get to a $1 trillion valuation, the state-backed People's Daily said.
    The U.S. firm should share that money with Chinese citizens, the article urged.
    Apple could be the target of "anger and nationalist sentiment" amid the ongoing trade war.

Chinese state media: Apple could be used as a 'bargaining chip' in the trade war  

9 Hours Ago | 01:05
    Apple has benefited from cheap labor and a strong supply chain in China and needs to share more of its profit with the Chinese people or face "anger and nationalist sentiment" amid the ongoing trade war, an article in the state-backed People's Daily warned Tuesday. The article originally appeared in another state-backed publication, Global Times, last week.

The opinion piece highlights how Apple made $9.6 billion in revenues in China in the June quarter, which helped the U.S. giant to recently hit a $1 trillion valuation.

But the continuing trade war between the U.S. and China could leave Apple and other U.S. firms vulnerable as "bargaining chips" for Beijing, according to the article.

"The eye-catching success achieved in the Chinese market may provoke nationalist sentiment if U.S. President Donald Trump's recently adopted protectionist measures hit Chinese companies hard," the People's Daily said.

Full story here: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/07/apple-china-us-trade-war-bargaining-chip.html

• @eclark1849

And this is why you don't move your manufacturing base to China.

• Thanks for sharing new platforms for digital production and new tools
    3D Rendering

• Real or Rendered? How 3D Imagery Is Changing the Way You Shop

By Alex Southern

The next time you shop for a vehicle, flip through a furniture catalog, or look at clothing online, the images you see may not be photography, but rather a collection of pixels assembled by an artist on a computer screen.

In August, the Wall Street Journal highlighted IKEA's efforts to shift 25 percent of catalog illustrations from traditional photography to computer-generated imagery by 2013. The savings could be staggering: IKEA will print 208 million copies of its 324-page catalog this year. In one of Europe's largest studios, 285 employees work year-round creating and photographing the room sets that make up the book. Altogether, the costs associated with this endeavor make up two-thirds of IKEA's entire marketing budget.

What compels a successful global brand to radically change the way it markets its products?
    When it comes to product marketing, computer-generated imagery is game-changing. Yet the Journal article gave the public a rare view into this booming business that is expected to surpass $1.5 billion in sales globally by 2015. IKEA is just one in a long list of companies realizing the benefits that computer-generated imagery can bring both creatively and economically.

The auto industry was an early adopter in this new discipline. For nearly a decade, companies such as Detroit-based Midcoast Studio have provided CGI, as it is known to insiders, to major automakers. In 2005, Jay Dunstan helped the well-established photography studio expand into 3D image services after seeing a growing demand in mainstream advertising. Today, Dunstan is Midcoast’s director of digital services. "Ten years ago, about 20 percent of automotive advertising was created digitally, and 80 percent was produced via traditional photography. Now those numbers have flipped," he says.
    Full Story here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/techonomy/2012/10/15/real-or-rendered-how-3d-imagery-is-changing-the-way-you-shop/#4d97d0d53e24

• Poser Ambassadors

"News" has some obligation to be "new" - that article is 6 years old.

• @bagginsbill "New" is a relative term. I never read it before so it was news to me.

• @eclark1849 as long as it's not "Fake news" D-X

• I just want all of Ikeas MODELS now ;)