Poserverse News Page

• Nvidia Unveils Quadro RTX Ray-Tracing GPU

VANCOUVER — At SIGGRAPH 2018, Nvidia (nvidia.com) announced its first Turing architecture-based GPUs, which allow artists to render photorealistic scenes in realtime, add new AI-based capabilities to their workflows, and enjoy fluid interactivity with complex models and scenes. Nvidia founder/CEO Jensen Huang introduced the new products, which include the Quadro RTXTM 8000, Quadro RTX 6000 and Quadro RTX 5000. Also announced at SIGGRAPH was the Quadro RTX Server, a reference architecture for highly configurable, on-demand rendering and virtual workstation solutions from the datacenter.

“Quadro RTX marks the launch of a new era for the global computer graphics industry,” says Bob Pette, vice president of professional visualization at Nvidia. “Users can now enjoy powerful capabilities that weren’t expected to be available for at least five more years. Designers and artists can interact in realtime with their complex designs and visual effects in ray-traced photo- realistic detail. And film studios and production houses can now realize increased throughput with their rendering workloads, leading to significant time and cost savings.”

Quadro RTX GPUs are designed for the most demanding visual computing workloads, such as those used in film and video content creation; automotive and architectural design; and scientific visualization. They far surpass the previous generation with groundbreaking technologies. Some of these technologies include new RT Cores to enable realtime ray tracing of objects and environments with physically accurate shadows, reflections, refractions and global illumination. Turing Tensor Cores accelerate deep neural network training and inference, which are critical to powering AI-enhanced rendering, products and services. The new Turing Streaming Multiprocessor architecture, featuring up to 4,608 CUDA cores, delivers up to 16 trillion floating point operations in parallel with 16 trillion integer operations per second to accelerate complex simulation of real-world physics. Advanced programmable shading technologies improve the performance of complex visual effects and graphics-intensive experiences.

The new Quadro RTX products offer the first implementation of ultra-fast Samsung 16Gb GDDR6 memory to support more complex designs, massive architectural datasets, and 8K movie content. Nvidia’s NVLink combines two GPUs with a high-speed link to scale memory capacity up to 96GB and drive higher performance with up to 100GB/s of data transfer.
    Read More here: http://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/Siggraph/2018/Nvidia-Unveils-Quadro-RTX-Ray-Tracing-GPU.aspx

• And yesterday they unveiled their new consumer cards rtx 2080, ti and 2070. Bit closer to affordable, from about 600usd up . Now all we need is for poser (12?) to implement rtx hardware acceleration.

• @j.naylor73 said in Poserverse News Page:

And yesterday they unveiled their new consumer cards rtx 2080, ti and 2070. Bit closer to affordable, from about 600usd up . Now all we need is for poser (12?) to implement rtx hardware acceleration.

Err..... No.

A Nvidia only solution cuts a lot of folks out.

https://pro.radeon.com/en/software/prorender/

I like the idea of stuffing 2 or more video cards (from either team green OR team red) in my box and a render engine that sees them AND the CPUs as 1 render engine.

For example, for around $600, 3 RX 580 GPUs and in my cace 8 CPU cores 16 threads = more render capabilities.

• @ssgbryan said in Poserverse News Page:

@j.naylor73 said in Poserverse News Page:

And yesterday they unveiled their new consumer cards rtx 2080, ti and 2070. Bit closer to affordable, from about 600usd up . Now all we need is for poser (12?) to implement rtx hardware acceleration.

Err..... No.

A Nvidia only solution cuts a lot of folks out.

https://pro.radeon.com/en/software/prorender/

I like the idea of stuffing 2 or more video cards (from either team green OR team red) in my box and a render engine that sees them AND the CPUs as 1 render engine.

For example, for around $600, 3 RX 580 GPUs and in my case 8 CPU cores 16 threads = more render capabilities.

• Although you can take figures with a pinch of salt, as there has been no independent testing of these cards yet,, if what we heard from nvidia is anything like true you might need a lot more than 3 rx 580's to get similar performance, they are talking about these cards being in the region of 5 times faster than the equivalent 10 series in ray tracing ops. I'm not arguing one way or another, but poser already has nvidia only support for gpu rendering, this would just be an upgrade from that.

• Pixar Releases RenderMan 22

EMERYVILLE, CA - Pixar has released RenderMan 22, the highly anticipated new version of the Academy Award-winning 3D rendering software for animation and visual effects. This major release is focused on artist productivity, improved data management, and advanced new features. With version 22, RenderMan redefines production rendering by delivering photorealism with a huge palette of artistic controls, enhanced interactivity, and epic scalability for feature film.
    Major updates to the core architecture allow RenderMan to support “live rendering” at every stage of the pipeline, providing fluid feedback for fast artist iteration. These dramatic improvements to interactive workflows enable new kinds of collaboration throughout the filmmaking process, and will transform traditional pipelines. The latest release also includes advanced lighting technology used on Pixar’s own animated feature films, including Finding Dory, Cars 3, Coco, and Incredibles 2. Pixar research and development also provided important new features for producing superior imagery faster, as well as groundwork for better studio pipeline management with Pixar’s USD (Universal Scene Description).

RenderMan artist interfaces for Autodesk’s Maya, Foundry’s Katana, and SideFX Houdini have all been comprehensively updated for version 22. Interactive shading and lighting are faster and more robust, while entirely new kinds of interactive edits are now possible, including modeling, animation, grooming, LPE authoring, and more. Additionally RenderMan’s Preset Browser and library of materials is now supported in all three applications. New Maya and Katana interfaces are available immediately, with Houdini integration available shortly.
    Original Story Here: http://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/Siggraph/2018/Pixar-Releases-RenderMan-22.aspx

• T-Mobile data breach FAQ: What happened, how it affects you, and what you should do now
    T-Mobile shut it down quickly but says millions of customers may have been affected.
    By Michael Simon
    Staff Writer, PCWorld | AUG 24, 2018 6:44 PM PT

Update 9:30 p.m. EST: T-Mobile now says “encrypted passwords” were included in the stolen data.

T-Mobile has reported that its cyber-security team “discovered and shut down an unauthorized access to certain information, including yours, and we promptly reported it to authorities.” In plain English, that means someone somewhere may have your personal information. Here’s everything you need to know about what may have been stolen and how to protect your account:
    Full Story Here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3300160/security/t-mobile-data-hack-faq.html

• Hackers target smartphones to mine cryptocurrencies
    by STEPHANE DE SAKUTIN
    Has your smartphone suddenly slowed down, warmed up and the battery drained down for no apparent reason? If so, it may have been hijacked to mine cryptocurrencies.

This new type of cyberattack is called "cryptojacking" by security experts.
    It "consists of entrapping an internet server, a personal computer or a smartphone to install malware to mine cryptocurrencies," said Gerome Billois, an expert at the IT service management company Wavestone.
    Mining is basically the process of helping verify and process transactions in a given virtual currency. In exchange miners are now and then rewarded with some of the currency themselves.
    Legitimate mining operations link thousands of processors together to increase the computing power available to earn cryptocurrencies.
    Mining bitcoin, ethereum, monero and other cryptocurrencies may be very profitable, but it does require considerable investments and generates huge electricity bills.
    But hackers have found a cheaper option: surreptitiously exploiting the processors in smartphones.
    Full Story here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/hackers-target-smartphones-to-mine-cryptocurrencies/ar-BBMgZRD?ocid=spartanntp

• Poser World is Closing 3D Model Store

PoserWorld will be closing the downloadable products store on September 30, 2018. Please download your purchases before that date.

All 3D models are now $1.99 to $6.99

We will continue to offer custom 3D modeling services. However, the store portion (i.e. your purchases) will no longer be available after September 30, 2018.

• Maxon Delivers Cinema 4D R20

FRIEDRICHSDORF, GERMANY — Maxon (www.maxon.net) is now shipping Cinema 4D Release 20 (R20), the next generation of its professional 3D application. The latest release contains high-end tools and features for VFX and motion graphics artists, including a node-based material system, new volume-based modeling tools, a powerful CAD import, and a major expansion of the MoGraph toolset.
    “We are proud to finally make Cinema 4D R20 available to all users worldwide,” says David McGavran, CEO Maxon Computer GmbH. “We are looking forward to seeing the first amazing works in the coming weeks and months that artists create using Cinema 4D’s high-end tools and features. Both Cinema 4D as well as the MoGraph toolset have revolutionized the industry since their introductions. With the Release of R20 we are making the next big leap together with our user base.”

Full Story Here: http://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/News/2018/Maxon-Delivers-Cinema-4D-R20.aspx

• Ziva Dynamics launches Ziva VFX 1.4
    by Carrie Mok

Ziva Dynamics has unveiled Ziva VFX 1.4, a major update that adds five new tools to its character creation technology. Thanks to insights from a community of artists and key customers like Sony Pictures Imageworks and Scanline VFX, Ziva now helps creators utilise real-world physics across even more of the character creation process, including muscle growth, tissue tension and natural elements like heavy winds or water pressure.
    “Ziva’s character tools have really worked out for us,” says John Hughes, founder of Rhythm & Hues and Tau Films. “The updates speed up simulations and give artists even more control and creative flexibility. Our creature pipeline is really hitting its stride.”
    A new External Forces feature, allows users to simulate how natural elements like wind and water would interact with their characters. Making a character’s skin flap in the wind, or ripple underwater, in an incredibly quick and believable way.

Full Story Here: https://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2018/08/ziva-dynamics-launches-ziva-vfx-1-4/

• Smith Micro Announces New Strategic Partnership with Renderosity
    by Smith Micro Blogger on Sep 14, 2018 12:04:30 PM

We have some exciting news to share with you!
    We have been actively reviewing how to better support the great community of Poser content creators, vendors, and customers. After taking into consideration a wide variety of factors, Smith Micro has decided to form a new and stronger Strategic Partnership with Renderosity.
    We are very excited to announce that Renderosity will now become the official Poser content marketplace! Furthermore, Renderosity and Smith Micro will increase their collaboration on spearheading efforts to improve the Poser content ecosystem.
    As a result, we will be shutting down the Content Paradise marketplace on November 12, 2018, and moving our own content to Renderosity. This effort will give us the opportunity to maximize the value that this partnership will create for the community, and our future efforts on enhancing the Poser software.
    We appreciate the contributions our content creators have made with us over the life of Content Paradise, and are looking forward to this new and exciting journey for the whole Poser community.
    Thank you!
    The Team at Smith Micro Software, Inc.

• What on Earth Makes a $1,200 Graphics Card Worth It?
    by Alex Cranz

Nvidia wants you to spend about the same on its latest top-of-the-line graphics card, the GTX 2080 Ti, as you might on an entirely new computer. You could get a great laptop or a very solid desktop for the same $1,200 price Nvidia’s new card commands. You could get a couple of PS4 Pros or Xbox Ones! You could get an iPhone X or a Samsung Note 9. Point is you could spend your $1,200 on a lot of different gadgets that do more than a graphics card—so how on earth can it be worth it?

Nvidia’s last generation, the 10-series, came out about two years ago and is still available today, and it’s still plenty fast for most games. I say games and not things because unless you’re mining crypto you’re probably only in the market for an expensive graphics card so you can play games on your expensive computer. You don’t really need a pricey GPU for working in Photoshop or editing a film. GPUs are good at one thing—rendering 3D graphics, and most of us only need to render 3D graphics when we’re playing games.

But the point is the GTX 1080 Ti and 1080 are really solid GPUs that are comparable to AMD’s Radeon RX Vega 64 and 56 respectively. and the 1080 Ti costs $700—about the same as the new 2080. So why spend $300 more (that’s the cost of a new cheap iPad!) on the 2080 Ti?

After putting the $1,200 2080 Ti and $800 2080 through our standard battery of tests, and playing a lot of games on both a big 4K TV and a smaller 1440p monitor I...I don’t think it’s actually worth it—for now. The 2080 Ti is an exceptional piece of hardware, and it is undoubtedly the future of GPUs, but it’s so bleeding edge you can’t even do the coolest stuff it’s capable of yet on your computer.

Full Story Here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/what-on-earth-makes-a-241200-graphics-card-worth-it/ar-BBNyc22

• Bringing Pooh and His Friends to CG Life
    by Linda Romanello

There have been many iterations of the story of Winnie the Pooh over the years since English author A. A. Milne introduced the stuffed character to readers in his first collection of stories in 1926. Aside from the popular books establishing Pooh as one of the most beloved characters in children’s literature, Disney’s films from the 1960s helped create a place for the loveable bear and his pals, including Piglet, Eeyore and Tigger from Hundred Acre Wood, as a regular part of pop culture. Disney’s newest version, Christopher Robin, is a live-action tale that’s centered on title character Christopher Robin, who as a child, embarked on many adventures with his stuffed animal friends.
    Now, all grown up, Robin is a working-man, with a job he dislikes and a family with which he spends way too little time. When he becomes reunited with Pooh, Robin is reminded of his childhood past.

Disney’s Christopher Robin, staring Ewan McGregor (Trainspotting, Moulin Rouge) and Haley Atwell (Captain America, TV’s Agent Carter) is directed by Golden Globe nominee Marc Forster (Monster’s Ball, Finding Neverland), with help from a stellar team that includes editor Matt Chesse, DP Matthias Koenigswieser and VFX supervisor Glenn Melenhorst, among others.

Here, while still putting the finishing touches on Christopher Robin, Forster speaks about making the anticipated new film.

Why did you want to make this film?

“I was on a plane with my daughter and she was watching a Winnie the Pooh cartoon and she turned to me and said, ‘I can’t watch any of your movies, can you make one for me?’ I saw she was watching Winnie the Pooh and I said, ‘Yes, we can do Winnie the Pooh! (laughs).'

“When I came back from my trip, Disney sent me a couple of scripts. They never made a live-action film with Pooh before and so they put me in touch with a producer, Brigham Taylor, who was working on a draft. We started working together on the script and developed it. Apart from the fact that I love Pooh, and all the Pooh-isms, and I love my daughter, it’s really about a movie that brings you back to who you really are, the people who you really love, the people that really matter in life, the importance of doing nothing, and if you do nothing, ultimately you can discover yourself again. It can open your heart again. There are all these incredible topics, which are more important than ever in the time we live in.”
    Full Story here. http://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/In-Focus/2018/Bringing-Pooh-and-His-Friends-to-CG-Life.aspx

• The Super VFX of 'Black Lightning'
    by Christine Bunish

Based on the DC Comics character of the same name, The CW’s new series Black Lightning follows the retired superhero and current high school principal Jefferson Pierce (played by Cress Williams), who is forced to unleash his powers and return to crime fighting when a local gang threatens his community.
    Black Lightning can harness and control electricity; his elder daughter, who eventually fights crime as Thunder, has her own superpowers, while his younger daughter, Jennifer, is just beginning to discover her abilities.

The series is shot in HD in Atlanta and debuted in January for a 13-episode run. Burbank, California-based Encore VFX, assisted by its now permanent office in Atlanta, is the sole VFX vendor for the show.
    It’s not surprising that the key visual effects for the show have been Black Lightning’s signature superpower. “The comics were great for reference, but television is a different medium. What might look good in a drawing may not look as good as live--action effects,” notes Armen Kevorkian, creative director and senior visual effects supervisor at Encore VFX. He serves as VFX supervisor for Black Lightning.
    Encore was challenged to take something — lightning — that everyone recognizes and “change it up” by adding other elements. “We didn’t want it to feel like it was just bolts,” Kevorkian explains. “So, we comp’d in secondary elements to give almost a sizzle off the bolts, like a residual energy.” Artists achieved this look using Thinkbox Software’s Krakatoa plug-in for Autodesk 3ds Max.
    “Every scene is different, so there are long and short bursts of lightning and a move where he swirls his hands to harness the energy before it shoots out,” says Kevorkian. “Everything is pretty intricate and customized, not from a library. The lightning is 3D; the 2D department integrates the lightning with interactive lighting and other elements.”
    Encore also devised variations on lightning, including a power shield layered over the core lightning blast and a power bubble that forms around Black Lightning.
    Full Story Here: http://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/Web-Exclusives/2018/The-Super-VFX-of-Black-Lightning.aspx