Cumulative brush opacity within one stroke

• Hello,

When sketching with the pencil tool, I often reduce the opacity in order to start with broad, light lines, then gradually darken them as the drawing takes shape.

However, the opacity does not build up when I draw over the same area, unless I lift the stylus and start a new stroke. Density seems to work exactly the same way.

I've been searching all over the tool options for the right setting, but could not find it.

Is there a way to build up opacity within the same stroke in Clip Studio Paint?

Thank you.

• I think you want to keep your Opacity at 100 and reduce your Brush Density instead.

• @garlam Density was the first setting I tried; the results were identical. In fact, I'm not even sure how the two sliders are any different.

• 0_1532214280803_opacity.jpg

With Opacity, the stroke will never become more opaque than the opacity setting. With Density, as the stroke overlaps it will become more and more opaque - up to the setting of the opacity.

• Garlam is right in that opacity will set a maximum over which a single stroke will not exceed while density will allow you to build up continually with the single stroke. The problem with your pencil is probably caused by it having a embedded paper texture with less than ideal settings. To fix this open the "sub Tool Detail" palette and go to the Texture tab... at the bottom of that tab is a setting called "Apply by each plot".... I am guessing that it is not ticked in your pencil.... switch on that setting and it will probably fix your problem.

• @garlam @888toto

Thank you both. I don't have a paper texture for the pencil tool, so the "Apply by each plot" option is greyed out.

I tried adding a texture and checking the option, but the problem remains.

• Garlam and 888toto should have one of the prices Celsys hand out to the best informers and tipsters. :-)

Mic

• @micro said in Cumulative brush opacity within one stroke:

@garlam @888toto

Thank you both. I don't have a paper texture for the pencil tool, so the "Apply by each plot" option is greyed out.

I tried adding a texture and checking the option, but the problem remains.

In that case you have something limiting the opacity or the darkness of your line. The remaining ones would be
    A) check the square icon next to the opacity setting to see if it is using opacity dynamics... it may look like opacity is 100% but for example a pressure or tilt curve could be overiding it to set a lower opacity.
    B) The layer itself is set to an opacity of less than 100%
    C) There is an adjustment layer somewhere above the current layer that is restricting its darkness
    D) The pencil and the layer are at opacity 100% but the layer is in a folder set to a lower opacity

To further explain how this works...
    A line is created by multiple ,usually overlapping, stamps of the brush shape. Opacity determines the opacity of the whole line. Density determines the opacity of each individual stamps ( which is why it should be able to build up opacity within a single stroke going over the same area). Texture works by subtracting opacity from the brush in the granular form of the texture. Without that "Apply by each plot" setting it subtracts that opacity from the whole line ( like the opacity control) but with that option set then it applies the texture at each stamp and so acts like the Density control.

PS.....Thanks Micmac ;-)

• @888toto

The opacity was unaffected by pen pressure or tilting, and the issue occurred even in a new file. Through experimentation with the options however, I found the solution.

I mostly use the "Darker pencil" sub-tool, for which the density must be set to a very low value (15% or lower) to see any build-up. Anything above that will simply result in a hard black line.

But before I discovered this, I tried selecting "Mix brush tips with darken" in the Sub Tool Detail palette, which was setting a single opacity for the entire stroke.

My thanks again!

• This post is deleted!

• @micro Yes that would also account for it...It is a setting I would never use on a semi opaque line..... to me its only purpose is when drawing complex two color lines at 100% opacity as it can make them overlap behind the first pass of the line ( i.e. appearing to recede in 3D space)

• @micro If you are finding it too dark at a low density setting it will be because the stamp gap setting is very small and so and so is stamping repeatedly at say 20% density on almost the same spot.... building up instantly to 100% ... below the Density setting is a setting called "Adjust brush density by gap" ... if switched on it will compensate for the small gap setting and 20% density will be similarly dark to 20% opacity.... but its still a density setting that can be built up to 100% by repeatedly going over the same area ( even within a single stroke)

• @888toto

Out of curiosity, what exactly is a "two-colour" line? I'm not familiar with this feature.

• A brush can use both the main and sub colors with the mix rate being determined by pressure, velocity, tilt, or random.

0_1532309970899_mixing.png

• @garlam
    Neat! Thank you very much.

• alt text The key is that a CSP brush ( unlike Photoshop) can be made to use both the first and the secondary picked colors to produce complex powerful effects. If the brush shape you define is just black then it will only use the primary picked color but if its contains white then when used in the brush the white bits will be of the secondary color... so in this example ( a single stroke recorded in real time). This particular brush uses both the techniques..i.e. the one that Garlam describes and the use of black and white in the brush shape

• here is another example using my soft edger two color brush ..just using black and white picked colors
    alt text

• @888toto

I'll keep my eye on that setting in the future; I had no idea that sort of usage was possible, thank you.

• @888toto so nice pic you send. I love it.
    Could you recommend a tool to design cartoon clipart images?
    like images here -> https://www.clipartmax.com/so/bird-clipart/
    alt text

• Looks like much use of gradients.

Mic