The 3D Collective - A new 3D community

• Hello everyone! I’m attempting to get something started and could use your feedback and/or help. I’ve been a gamer for a very long time and over the years my passion has shifted to MMORPG’s, which is short for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. Technology for communication in these games has come a long way since the first MMO. Now lots of people are using a free software called Discord to communicate via Chat or Speech. It’s become so popular that even non-game related organizations are using it.

I thought it might be an amazing idea to create a Discord server for those of us that create 3D art. So I spent the better half of this morning populating a server with Categories for just that purpose. I thought why not? Its free, easy to use and provides a real time discussion environment.

Discord can be used via a standalone desktop program or via an app on your phone, allowing members to communicate at any time or anywhere there is a reception for your phone or tablet.

What I need help with right now is feedback. I need willing individuals to join the server and let me know what could be added or even changed for a better flow in communication and information sharing.

I will need moderators and assistant admins if this catches on but I also have a few ideas for other roles for helpful individuals and the like.

You can read more about Discord here: https://discordapp.com
    That page also has the download link for the program.

To join the server just click this link: https://discord.gg/VqXdRWt
    Or search for The 3D Collective

Hope to see some of you join up and offer some feedback!

• @Lotharen I'm not into MMORPG, but I'm taking a Blender class at Udemy.com, where they have a forum setup at Gamedev.tv, and I've seen Discord mentioned often by folks posting in the forums.

There are also several gaming software classes taught by the same group of instructors, and the majority of folks taking the Blender class, are taking it in prep for taking one of more of the gaming software classes.

Other than that, I've never been to Discord, so don't really know much about it, but they seem to rank it highly.

• @Miss-B said in The 3D Collective - A new 3D community:

@Lotharen I'm not into MMORPG, but I'm taking a Blender class at Udemy.com, where they have a forum setup at Gamedev.tv, and I've seen Discord mentioned often by folks posting in the forums.

There are also several gaming software classes taught by the same group of instructors, and the majority of folks taking the Blender class, are taking it in prep for taking one of more of the gaming software classes.

Other than that, I've never been to Discord, so don't really know much about it, but they seem to rank it highly.

Thanks @Miss-B I'm setting this up for anyone who uses Poser, Daz or Blender. Depending on suggestions that list may even grow. Its a way to ask questions, get help and just chat with anyone about 3D art and its creation, in one community. Thanks for reading my post :)

• @Lotharen I'm reading the terms at the moment.

By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Content with the Service, you grant to us a perpetual, nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use, host, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display Your Content in connection with operating and providing the Service.

Not what I want to use.

You want to use it as part of your business? Then you should this:

The Company may also terminate or suspend your access to any Communication Channels at any time, without notice, for any reason.

And there is a lot more. The whole service is based on collecting information about the users, analysing what they do, when, from where, with whome, even analyzing chats and private messages. And sharing this all with "business partners". But claiming, that they are not responsible for what their businesspartner do.

For me it sounds not better than Skype or Facebook.

• @adp I'm not talking about using this to post your renders. Forums are better suited for that and I've also made a Deviantart group to host pics as well.

Just about any online chat/social media program/app collects information like this to a certain extent. I've been using Discord for a while now and its a great platform for communication that is free. I'm not running a business but would like a place to chat about 3D art and development with a more real time communication platform.

That part about suspending your access is pretty standard legal mumbo jumbo, even itunes has something similar.

• @Lotharen There terms beats anything what is standard today.

It's a bad excuse saying all doing bad, why not them.
    Not using such offers makes things better at the end. Using it makes it more worse over time (because the bad guys say: Nobody cares, obviously, so let's go on!)

• @Lotharen said in The 3D Collective - A new 3D community:

Just about any online chat/social media program/app collects information like this to a certain extent.

Only those created just for this purpose. There are others. A lot of others.

If you just want communication for a group of people, why not simply use IRC? Simple, rock solid and without commercial interest.

https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Main_page

• @adp said in The 3D Collective - A new 3D community:

@Lotharen said in The 3D Collective - A new 3D community:

Just about any online chat/social media program/app collects information like this to a certain extent.

Only those created just for this purpose. There are others. A lot of others.

If you just want communication for a group of people, why not simply use IRC? Simple, rock solid and without commercial interest.

https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Main_page

IRC is outdated and not user friendly. Seems more prone to host hackers and pirates than any other user base from what I've seen over the years.

• Or what about this?

https://xmpp.org/

That's what they say:
    "The most secure messaging standard. Battle-tested. Independent. Privacy-focused."

IRC is outdated and not user friendly.

Hahahaha! IRC is what your client-software makes out of it.

And what is outdated? Tell me. Yes, it does not allow some things others do because it results in security-problems. You may call that outdated.

• @adp said in The 3D Collective - A new 3D community:

Or what about this?

https://xmpp.org/

That's what they say:
    "The most secure messaging standard. Battle-tested. Independent. Privacy-focused."

Looks like you would still need to have a hosting site, thus making it not free. Also, from what I could see looking over the site, its more of a direct - person to person messaging app. With Discord you carry on conversations between all the members at one time and can hold private conversations if you choose too.

• @Lotharen You should learn more about it.

There are thousends of IRC servers out there. You may connect to them if you like. But there is no need to run a server. Just open an IRC Channel and invite your guests.

http://www.irchelp.org/

Jabber: Nearly the same.

• OUTDATED :)

https://kiwiirc.com/

(driven by node.js)

• Poser Ambassadors

Really?
    I spend at least 30 minutes each morning and each evening wading through 3D forums, mostly Poser or Blender related. (And i am surely not the only one)

What we need is downscaling the number of places to share info, because the more places to follow, the more chances we get to miss some valuable questions or information.

We already have posters that ask the same questions in dozens of forums/blogs/chat rooms, and one often wonders. . . . OK, should I answer him here or there? ? ? Or not at all because the question is everywhere, and surely some nice guy will answer and I don't have to invest the time.

The same with blogs => All over the net.
    Chat rooms? => How many do you like?

Some forums already see close to no traffic anymore, because there are simply too many of them.

• @vilters said in The 3D Collective - A new 3D community:

Really?
    I spend at least 30 minutes each morning and each evening wading through 3D forums, mostly Poser or Blender related. (And i am surely not the only one)

What we need is downscaling the number of places to share info, because the more places to follow, the more chances we get to miss some valuable questions or information.

We already have posters that ask the same questions in dozens of forums/blogs/chat rooms, and one often wonders. . . . OK, should I answer him here or there? ? ? Or not at all because the question is everywhere, and surely some nice guy will answer and I don't have to invest the time.

Some forums already see close to no traffic anymore, because there are simply too many of them.

Wow, I'm just trying to do something to benefit those of us who have a passion for 3D. I'm not aware of many sites that have forums that cater to multiple 3D tools. Only one that I'm a member of would be Renderosity.

I've only gotten a few answers here but perhaps its an issue with member toxicity? Like my ma'ma used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothin at all

@vilters said in The 3D Collective - A new 3D community:

Really?

Wow, I'm just trying to do something to benefit those of us who have a passion for 3D. I'm not aware of many sites that have forums that cater to multiple 3D tools. Only one that I'm a member of would be Renderosity.

I've only gotten a few answers here but perhaps its an issue with member toxicity? Like my ma'ma used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothin at all

Thing is .. the more places you have to go, the more diluted the information MAY become.

There's only so many hours in a day.

I like the idea, I'm still trying to get into the whole Discord thing, because of Pokemon Go ... BUT I haven't quite taken that leap yet. Messenger works fine. Facebook takes up my time anyway, so an integrated app (Messenger) there .. just is more convenient.

For the moment, I'm dividing my time between Facebook and this place, with Rosity as a place to post pictures and buy stuff. Their forum is dead. Well, as good as dead anyway. It's a darn shame, I spent YEARS on Rosity. I miss it. But .. as far as Poser is concerned, Rosity is NOT the place to get answers any more :(

A new place, like this Discord channel? Well, it's always nice to chat with other 3D-lovers. But there's already a load of Facebook groups for that. I just can't see myself adding yet another time-consuming place to visit on any regular basis.

And that's just MY personal opinion. Yours may well vary :)

• @trekkiegrrrl said in The 3D Collective - A new 3D community:

Really?

Thing is .. the more places you have to go, the more diluted the information MAY become.

I like the idea, I'm still trying to get into the whole Discord thing, because of Pokemon Go ... BUT I haven't quite taken that leap yet. Messenger works fine. Facebook takes up my time anyway, so an integrated app (Messenger) there .. just is more convenient.

For the moment, I'm dividing my time between Facebook and this place, with Rosity as a place to post pictures and buy stuff. Their forum is dead. Well, as good as dead anyway. It's a darn shame, I spent YEARS on Rosity. I miss it. But .. as far as Poser is concerned, Rosity is NOT the place to get answers any more :(

A new place, like this Discord channel? Well, it's always nice to chat with other 3D-lovers. But there's already a load of Facebook groups for that. I just can't see myself adding yet another time-consuming place to visit on any regular basis.

Thanks for your feedback @trekkiegrrrl its most appreciated. I don't do much with Facebook, I have an account, but it is really used for my gaming group. I truly dislike FB and I guess thats why I'm trying to get another avenue up for others to use.
    I'm learning Japanese and found that the books I was using had a Discord server set up by the writer of those books. It was a wonderful means to learn and ask questions and is, honestly, what gave me the idea to attempt this.

It wont hurt my feelings if people don't join because they are spread to thin already. I'm coming in late to the game. I just wanted to put it out there that it was available to those who wish to use it.

• It was brought to my attention that the server name closely resembled a Daz PA and that of a business. To avoid any confusion or copyright issues I have changed the name of the community to, 3D Art Central, since I hope for it to serve as a central location for all members 3D art questions and tutorials.

• @trekkiegrrrl said in The 3D Collective - A new 3D community:

Really?

There's nothing wrong with Renderosity's store. It's their Poser forum they let go to hell. The trolls have chased everyone away that used to go there. So now, only a few of the diehards still post there. I pop in myself every now and then to see what's being posted, but I have no real interest there any longer.