Make object unselectable?

• I am working on hair for a model. The hair looks pretty good, but I need to some fill hair.

The issue I keep running in to is that Poser keeps randomly switching to a different hair group while I am editing the new fill group, leading to me accidentally making changes to other hair groups.

Locking the objects does nothing and I need them to be visible while I am editing the new hair group so that I can see the areas the fill needs to be placed in.

Is there no way to simply make something unselectable? I've been forced to quit and reload my last save multiple times because of this issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Poser Ambassadors

I don't think there is a way to make obj unselectable.

But, in a congested area? Never direct select with the left mouse button but :

Hover your mouse over the area and right click. => A pop-up window opens and one of the first lines is "select". => Choose there what item is to be selected.

• @vilters said in Make object unselectable?:

I don't think there is a way to make obj unselectable.

But, in a congested area? Never direct select with the left mouse button but :

Hover your mouse over the area and right click. => A pop-up window opens and one of the first lines is "select". => Choose there what item is to be selected.

I appreciate your response, but the issue is not selecting.

The issue is that when I am in the Hair tab and I move the mouse in the window over my model (not clicking or selecting anything), Poser randomly selects one of the other growth groups, even if I have already chosen a specific group from the dropdown in the panel.

I don't use the left mouse to select anything, as a general rule; I normally use the dropdown selection menus.

My issue isn't selecting; the issue is, Poser is randomly swapping growth groups on me when I am trying to work on a specific group, and it appears to be doing it when I move my mouse over a group in the window.

That's why I wanted to see if there was a way to make all of the growth groups except the one I was working on unselectable.

I finally managed to complete the work, but it is still odd.

• @rpsdev Just for clarification, if it's doing it only when you move the mouse over a group in the window, that by definition is not a "random" action. If it were just jumping around from group to group then, yeah, that would be random. Sounds like your group selection is being influenced in some way by your mouse. Have you cleaned it recently?

• @eclark1849 said in Make object unselectable?:

@rpsdev Just for clarification, if it's doing it only when you move the mouse over a group in the window, that by definition is not a "random" action. If it were just jumping around from group to group then, yeah, that would be random. Sounds like your group selection is being influenced in some way by your mouse. Have you cleaned it recently?

The random part is that the growth group that the dropdown switches to is not the growth group that the mouse is hovering over. It can be any of the six groups in the figure's hair design. I made the assumption that it had something to do with the mouse, but I cannot positively confirm it.

I appreciate all of the responses. As I said, I did manage to complete the work. It's just a little odd. I don't remember running into this issue with Poser before.

• @rpsdev this vertex selection might be amenable to playing with what Poser makes visible, and hence selectable, by playing with the hither and yon settings of whatever camera you're using. If you increase the hither setting enough, you can make Poser clip objects closer than that distance from the camera. Similarly, yon can clip everything beyond a certain distance from the camera. Maybe that would make it easier to just work on a single hair group. It does take a bit of mucking about, and it's sometimes easy to lose sight of everything, if hither and yon are close and you're using a camera other than the Face camera which at least orbits the current figure's head.

• I've never tried it with hair specifically, but in other cases, when you need a selection to "stick", you use the Caps key. I'm not sure but I think the left and right works the same. I always use the left because I have the mouse in my right hand.

That way, Poser won't throw a hissy and randomly select something else in the middle of things.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.