some quickfire questions form a new poser user

• Hello, I'm quite new here, I originally found this forum when I got poser 11 pro during last years sale but decided to not make an account until I was more familiar with the program.
    so that's what I have been doing, experimenting and learning with it every day, I've done some test renders and am quite happy with how they turned out but there are just things I cannot seem to figure out/learn on my own that would just make them that much better, any suggestions about how I can best overcome these bumps in the road would be much appreciated :)

1. parenting props; it seems like the parenting prop feature is only meant to connect a single prop to an object, for example parent a glass to a hand, but parenting a prop to multiple objects seems impossible, for example parenting both hands to different parts of a broom even after grouping the broom so the handle has multiple selectable sections, is there any way to do this?

2. manipulating multiple objects; it seems its not possible to select more then one object at a time without parenting the objects together, say I want to move some cars, I cannot simply select 2 cars and move them with the x/y/z slider, instead I have to manually move each car, in a small scene this is no problem but what if i want to animate a highway and add variation to some cars? I don't think having to parent and unapparent each car i slightly want to rotate or move over is the most efficient, another way would be to ''freeze'' the cars parented to the car I am moving but I have not found any indication this is something that you can do in poser.

3. poser and zbrush; I have noticed in the documentation and in the respective programs that its possible to connect poser and zbrush, given that I use zbrush to make meshes to use in poser and unity I have attempted to do this but to no avail I have not looked into this more because it seems like a lot of work to get it to work and even though its a documented feature its still unclear to me what it exactly douse, douse it allow you to simply send meshes to poser instead of having to import them? or is there more to it?

1. effects; is there any way to add animated effects to poser? say for example I want to have for example a fire and lightning in the background, what would be the way to add those to a render? there are some options I have come up with but have so far been unable to find one that works in engine as adding the effects in post means i have to re render a scene and redo the effect if there was an issue with the original render after I added the effects, the ideas I have come up with so far but have not yet been able to get to work are ; add a 2d animated sprite as the effect (this would require me to be able to put an animated image as the texture of a mesh and i have not figured out if that is possible) and modeling the effect in 3d, texturing and animating the effect (this would probably make any effect more work then making the characters themselves and mean that adding the effects in post is the better option)

thank you kindly in advance :)

• @bowmanruto said in some quickfire questions form a new poser user:

1. parenting props; it seems like the parenting prop feature is only meant to connect a single prop to an object, for example parent a glass to a hand, but parenting a prop to multiple objects seems impossible, for example parenting both hands to different parts of a broom even after grouping the broom so the handle has multiple selectable sections, is there any way to do this?

Parenting ties one object to another object. You cannot parent to two objects because parenting isn't a physics Simulation. Parenting means that the object follows all translations and rotations from the parent. If it were to follow two objects, it would have to go in two directions at the same time, which does not make sense. So parent the broom on one hand and move the other hand accordingly.

1. manipulating multiple objects; it seems its not possible to select more then one object at a time without parenting the objects together, say I want to move some cars, I cannot simply select 2 cars and move them with the x/y/z slider, instead I have to manually move each car, in a small scene this is no problem but what if i want to animate a highway and add variation to some cars? I don't think having to parent and unapparent each car i slightly want to rotate or move over is the most efficient, another way would be to ''freeze'' the cars parented to the car I am moving but I have not found any indication this is something that you can do in poser.

You can group multiple objects by parenting them to one Container object. Basically that's creating an empty object which everything in the group moves with and is scaled with. Objects parented to other objects in the group will move with it as well. I'm not at home right now, if noone else does it I will post a way to do so tomorrow.

1. poser and zbrush; I have noticed in the documentation and in the respective programs that its possible to connect poser and zbrush, given that I use zbrush to make meshes to use in poser and unity I have attempted to do this but to no avail I have not looked into this more because it seems like a lot of work to get it to work and even though its a documented feature its still unclear to me what it exactly douse, douse it allow you to simply send meshes to poser instead of having to import them? or is there more to it?

If you use GoZ to send a mesh to ZBrush, you dont't have to Import it, and you can send it back with one click to Poser. If you just moved some Vertices, the result will be a new morph for your Poser object, if you create something new and send it back Poser will Import it as a static prop.

Please note that GoZ is one of the rare ways to create a morph for a posed figure. You can do this with Posers Morph Brush as well, but normaly you can only create morphs from figures in their default pose.

1. effects; is there any way to add animated effects to poser? say for example I want to have for example a fire and lightning in the background, what would be the way to add those to a render? there are some options I have come up with but have so far been unable to find one that works in engine as adding the effects in post means i have to re render a scene and redo the effect if there was an issue with the original render after I added the effects, the ideas I have come up with so far but have not yet been able to get to work are ; add a 2d animated sprite as the effect (this would require me to be able to put an animated image as the texture of a mesh and i have not figured out if that is possible) and modeling the effect in 3d, texturing and animating the effect (this would probably make any effect more work then making the characters themselves and mean that adding the effects in post is the better option)

There are ways to add animated effects to Poser. It depends which Kind of animated effect you have. You can use a Video source as a texture iirc, for example. which can be put on a plane in the Scene.

• Poser Ambassadors

@bowmanruto ..
    To add to Bantha's post.

1. You can add constraint channels to objects. This will make it possible to have interaction between multiple figures and objects.

2. Within Poser you can create a grouping object (Object!Create Grouping). You can parent props and figures to it and manipulate the entire group (Scale, translate, rotate, hide, etc).

3. animated effects can also be achieved by making materials animatable. You do this by enabling the little key next to the value in a material node. If you enable it, a new dial will appear in the meshes properties and you can keyframe it.

• A tip for Question one. You can parent the broom to one hand of the figure and then turn on the inverse kinematics of the other hand and parent it to the broom so that everything moves together.

• thank you kindly for the answers, I'm very glad I asked :D
    sometimes it can be tricky to figure out what you have to search for (I for example would probably have never thought to search if you could add a constraint channel to an object or how inverse kinematics affects the object when focused on figuring out parenting of an object) with this info I am quite confident I can figure out how to get/use these features effectively :)

• @redphantom said in some quickfire questions form a new poser user:

A tip for Question one. You can parent the broom to one hand of the figure and then turn on the inverse kinematics of the other hand and parent it to the broom so that everything moves together.

Conversely, you can also turn on IK for both hands and parent them both to the broom. Then just move the broom around and the arms and hands will follow. However, beware that just like if your hands were stuck to an object and it moved, your whole body would be forced to follow. So if you move the broom around the figure will be forced to move with it.

• @eclark1849 hmmhmm, and I would assume there is no way to for example lock everything but the arms and shoulders temporarily right?

• @bowmanruto Under the FIGURE menu you can either lock the entire figure or just the hand parts. Under the OBJECT menu you can lock each individual object/actor. Sadly, there is no "quick release" that I am aware of if you choose the second option.

• To add on to the grouping you can make groups within groups. So you could have a master car group then a blue car group and a red car group (for example). Add cars to the groups and if you move the blue car group then all blue cars move turn etc. Same for the red cars. Add both group to the master and then all cars move. you can also move the master then turn the red group and the blue cars go one way and the red cars turn and also move. One other thing is you can change the groups a car belongs to by moving it position in the Hierarchy Editor, grab the group and drop it on the new parent (or universe) and it changes.

• interesting, which leaves me wondering how far the grouping function go's. would that also be the case for characters? say I applied a walk cycle to a group instead of a character would that walk cycle be applied to the entire group?

• @bowmanruto said in some quickfire questions form a new poser user:

@eclark1849 hmmhmm, and I would assume there is no way to for example lock everything but the arms and shoulders temporarily right?

@eclark1849 said in some quickfire questions form a new poser user:
    @bowmanruto Under the FIGURE menu you can either lock the entire figure or just the hand parts. Under the OBJECT menu you can lock each individual object/actor. Sadly, there is no "quick release" that I am aware of if you choose the second option.

There IS a quick solution, but there are two prerequisites:

1. You need to have SASHA-16 (or, at least, the part of the runtime "Karina's Tool Box" --> "LOCK - UNLOCK" folder
    2. Your figure needs to adhere to the general bone naming scheme as in V4 and most other common figures (e.g. hip, abdomen, chest, neck, thighs, shins etc)

Re. 1.
    You'll find a collection of simple Poser pz2 files which will lock/unlock body regions like upper/lower torso, arms or hands w. fingers, etc.. All lock poses can be combined to lock/unlock the exact body region you need locked/unlocked
    All with some simple clicks.
    Download here:
    http://dl.free.fr/jtBZwHwjE

Re. 2.
    If you have a figure with extra bones like "pelvis", "abdomen1", "abdomen2", it's no problem. you can still lock them individually in the Poser menu, or (if you use it more often) edit the pz2 file to add those extra bones. Just remember to do this in the "lock" and "unlock" files simultaneously for best results.

NOTE:
    This really isn't witchcraft... all the scripts do is toggle the "locked" flags in the body parts of the figure to 0 or 1
    Look at how the scripts are written and easily create your own.

HTH

Karina

• The walk designer can only be applied to a figure. You can copy and paste the whole body from the first figure to all the rest. The only issue is that after the copy paste is to go into the Body of each figure and delete the frames for the body XYZ translate and rotate, at least the translate otherwise the figures will be on top of each other.

• thanks again everyone, using groups and the containing objects really helped work my way around the parenting issues I was having, plus I got the connection between zbrush and poser to work so that's at least 2/4 struggles I was having with the program solved. the only thing I cant seem to figure out is the importing of video as textures.
    so... ill just describe step by step how I am trying to get it to work and maybe someone can figure out what I should do,
    so i fist put down a blank square object in a fireplace, then I imported a fire gif with a transparent background as the diffuse color, then i enabled animation under the key icon in front of the diffuse color swatch in the poser surfaces tab, and then I tried to find the new dial in the meshes property tab (what i assume is the property tab next to the parameters) but I cannot find a dial other then the displacement bounds, what am i missing?

• I don't think Poser can read animated gifs. I know .avi will work, but not sure about gif.

• @trekkiegrrrl animated GIF certainly did appear to work mostly, once in the distant past, but when I raised a bug report over a problem I was having trying to display a physical frame counter using an animated GIF, I was referred to the manual page which stated that only .avi was supported. Here's the latest manual excerpt with compatible formats:
    0_1533037973706_Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 9.52.01 pm.png

• alright it indeed seems like its only video formats that work, not sure if I can have a transparent background on a avi or as i just found out also works an mp4

• @bowmanruto enabling the animation of a colour swatch from the diffuse input of the PoserSurface root node will only create three shaderNodeParm parameters on the prop's parameter palette. One each for red, green and blue values of the swatch. They will have nothing to do with the animated GIF directly. You need to refer to the animation you intend to display by plugging a Movie node into the diffuse color input, not an ordinary image node with an animated GIF selected, as that is not supported. (I know, I tried really hard in years past to make that work, but the official word is that method is unsupported).

• so I can import video's now trough the video node, that's great and really useful! :D, but video's unfortunately can't contain transparency :\ is there really no way around that? since it would be awesome if they did since that would allow me to use panels with gifs on them as effects, as is there will always be a black background like this 0_1533042299409_Capture.JPG

• Poser Ambassadors

@bowmanruto said in some quickfire questions form a new poser user:

is there really no way around that?

there will always be a black background like this

There is a way around it if the image is a glowing fire on a black background.

0_1533044204251_8f1c35fc-799a-4809-847b-09fef8697de8-image.png

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.