An experimental Face Texture Converter launched via Content Paradise

• You can get it here

Let me say clearly in advance this is not a finished product. It is not even a work in progress because I may not be able to progress with it in the public space.

It is the result of an experiment I carried out. I think the result is encouraging and may be useful to others so I provide it 'as it is', with no guarantee or waranty whatsoever, including but not limited to converting face textures from V4/M4 to PE. It is offered for your persusal as you see fit.

I will be happy to see it applied and even more happy to see you all share suggestions and improved versions and I may or may not contribute to all that.

Please read the information in the 'description' carefully.

Content Paradise is the only platform Smith Micro provides to share this sort of stuff. I realize I may be stepping across limits by using it for this. Up side is it offers a way to inform you about any updates.

• Due to some inexplicable logic of CP after an update there are now two copies of the file FTC270718-2.zip in the download and I have no permission to remove one.
    They are identical. You only need one copy.
    I requested support to remove the redundant one.

• Poser Ambassadors

Thank you!

This is my first try and I am impressed.

0_1532769440056_tesstyy.png

I mapped Cally from Mihrelle onto PE within a few minutes.

Definitely worth investigating.

• Much appreciated F_Verbaas

• Wow, that is seriously cool! I've never seen something like that inside of Poser... I have the old Texture Converter that was on DAZ years ago and I also have Texture Transformer and both of those are multi-step external programs but this looks like something Poser would actually have out of the box! Nicely done.

• @F_Verbaas It's a pain in the as to register and download. Mutch to complicated procedure to download something for free. Why the hell is it required to ask for all the data? I assume most people will enter garbage, as I did.

Anyway.
    I'm impressed. Why don't you tell about how it works?

• @wimvdb ; @chk2033 ; @johndoe641 ; @adp
    Thank you. Response much appreciated.

@adp sorry about procedures. These are Content Paradise's not mine. I keep all my stuff there and discussions are here on this forum. That is how I keep it manageable, have direct access to my stuff, and should I decide to put stuff up for money, I get the best cut available on he market.
    Well spotted that workings are not in the document. I simply forgot. I will add a paragaph on that later today.

• @adp said in An experimental Face Texture Converter launched via Content Paradise:

@F_Verbaas It's a pain in the as to register and download. Mutch to complicated procedure to download something for free. Why the hell is it required to ask for all the data? I assume most people will enter garbage, as I did.

Anyway.
    I'm impressed. Why don't you tell about how it works?

I'm not trying to derail the thread, and if you want to start another thread to discuss it further, I'm more than happy to do so, but I find this attitude puzzling. I get hit with it all the time and all I'm doing is just providing a link to free stuff in my directory. But sometimes the website provider requires people they allow to download stuff from their site for free to register for the privilege. Content Paradise, DAZ, Hivewire, Renderosity , CGBytes and even ShareCG usually require people to have an account at their store to download anything from their site. They are not there to provide free stuff for people. It is a courtesy that they provide for the registered users of their site. and always remember, you don't HAVE download the product. No one is forcing you to join.

If you really want to discuss this further. As you can see this is a point of contention for me, so let me know and I will start that new thread. I'd really love to hear other views on this topic.

• As promised I just updated the description and added a section to explain 'how it works'.

• @F_Verbaas Thanks!

• @eclark1849

I started another thread so as not to derail this thread and after just a few posts, it's gone. What the hell happened?

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Good question. Would be nice to know what was so offensive with it for them to take it down.

• @Ghostman There's not even a "This Topic Deleted" Ghost title left. ?????

• @F_Verbaas can you confirm that the only changes are to the Content Paradise product description and nothing in the download has changed? I can't see anything in the download itself which explains how the product is to be used.

• @F_Verbaas OK, found the Sway on Content Paradise, got myself logged into my Office365 account (which I'd finally renewed after my subsciption expired last month, GRRR!), clicked on the Share to open it online, clicked on the "..." and exported it to PDF, and now I can view the missing documentation offline. Yay! (This may not be as easy for others as it wasn't for me)

• @anomalaus
    Confirmed. The download was not changed. The way to use it is described in the description document embedded on the CP site. This is a practical consideration for this experimental 'product' to keep description up to date without having to resort to product changes.
    (Am I the only user who would love to see programmable buttons, or even just hyperlinks in texts on the parameter window)

• @fverbaas thanks, I knew that. I was just frustrated that, yet again, Microsoft doesn't have a macOS equivalent App to their windows Sway app. I know everything is vapourising into the Cloud now and in the future, but my internet is sufficiently frequently unreliable, that I will not willingly give up access to downloading information by relying on the "always-on" status for my internet connection.

I still mourn the day MS unplugged Entourage for Mac and forced us all to use the lesser featured Outlook. [Hums, "The day the music died"]

• @anomalaus
    I intend to make a pdf version once things have settled down a bit. (both re. the FTC and in private life)

• @fverbaas now that I have had a chance to peruse the documentation (couldn't actually play with it since I'm stuck in render-hell), I see that this is a necessary extension to the texture baking techniques (fixed camera parameters for minimum distortion of UV projected textures plugged into ambient) I'd been using (from following other forum discussions) to shortcut render times for complex procedural textures by baking them.

It had not occurred to me that physically transforming the projection surface would be a more accessible technique for UV transformation for most users than playing with math nodes in the material room. Well done with realising this, both conceptually and in implementation!

This will allow user tweaks to UV-remapping textures of figures they own have purchased (like move a tattoo, resize makeup, or create supernumerary papillae, though those could be done simply in a decent, layered texture editor) directly within Poser. Just saving a particular scene setup will serve as a permanent template for similar conversions between the same pair of figures, by just exchanging the source textures. [Mind=Blown!]

• @eclark1849 said in An experimental Face Texture Converter launched via Content Paradise:

@eclark1849

I started another thread so as not to derail this thread and after just a few posts, it's gone. What the hell happened?

Maybe I should start the thread over???