Graphic Card for Poser? Which?

• @trekkiegrrrl

I understand the feeling. I am not getting a new computer, but I am in the process of upgrading the one I have (Mac Pro 4,1). My budget means I have to do it in monthly stages. July was new video card and some more ram. August is more memory and a CPU upgrade. September is the last memory upgrade (along with a CPU upgrade for my backup computer). October through December is hard drive replacements.

• @ssgbryan from what I can see, we both will be limited to High Sierra as our last OS revision without changing hardware. My mid-2011 iMac 12,2 won't run Mojave according to the official support list.

• @anomalaus

Not necessarily - the limiting factor is the GPU and the GPU in your iMac is also in the 2012 iMac, so you should be able to run it, albeit unoffically. Go pop over to Macrumors.com. There are all kinds of ways to get around Apple's planned obsolescence.

Stuff like this why I got a the last truly great Mac - the Cheesegrater Mac Pro. Actually, I have 2; a 1,1 flashed to 2,1 (soon to be a media server after I swap out the 2 dual core Woodcrests for a pair of low-power Clovertowns) and a 4,1 flashed to 5,1. They are pretty cheap on ebay right now.

I can run Mojave. Or rather, I could if Sir Idiot Boy could figure out how to get either High Sierra or Mojave to install on a bootable Raid-0 (That capability is supposed to be coming soon - we are now in the DAZ Soon time-frame.)

My boot drive consists of 2 250Gb SSDs running in a Raid-0 on an Apricorn duo card - 425Mb write/495Mb read. There are folks that are unofficially running NVMe drives and are getting insane read/write speeds.

Apple doesn't approve of my video card, but my RX 560 (MSI Areo, 4Gb) works just fine. There are a number of folks that have stuffed multiple GTX-1080 Titans in a Mac Pro (the Pixals mod isn't for the faint of heart, but if you can work a screwdriver and a pair of snips, you can do it).

Officially it only supports 32Gb of ram; in reality, it can take up to 5 32Gb sticks for a total of 160Gb - I am going for 128Gb myself (8x8Gb) - 64Gb for the operating system, 64Gb for a RAM disk (that will hold whatever runtimes I am using in Poser at the time ;).

When I move to 6Tb drives, I'll need new drive sleds, but I will have 30Tb internally by 1 Jan.

Officially, it doesn't support Blu-ray - I have an LG residing in my upper optical bay.

Officially, it maxes out with a pair of X5570 (4 cores@2.93Ghz) - I am getting a pair of X5680 (6 cores @ 3.33Ghz); max is actually a pair of X5690 (6 cores @ 3.46Ghz)

The hardware makes it easier to put up with the stupidity that the current "leadership" at Apple provides. That being said, if the 7,1 Mac Pro is as big of a dumpster fire as the 6,1 or the iMac Pro, I'll join the exodus to windows (A threadripper system w/Nvidia GPU).

• @ssgbryan thank you. You've restored my faith in my current hardware. I did manage to overcome Boot Camp's "nicht und verboten" assessment of my hardware and get Windows 10 installed on a partition. I've already replaced the 250GB pitifully undersized boot SSD with a 1TB SSD and am contemplating the BlueTooth/Wifi board upgrade to support Continuity features (handoff with iPhone). I have a dual 2GHz G5 in the same cheesegrater case, though it's long past being useful for anything other than a very slow external drive.

I have also been contemplating the cheapest path to faster renders, and it may require the purchase of a Windows box, though I won't give up on the iMac just yet.

• @anomalaus

If you decide to go to a windows boxen, I'd recommend a Ryzen/Nvidia combo (or better yet, a threadripper/Nvidia combo). The AMD CPUs are built more for multi-threaded applications, which are the future, whereas Intel worries more about single-threaded performance. From a TCO perspective, it is a no-brainer.

If you are comfortable with used, get a HP Z6 series off of ebay, they are cheap ($200 - 400), can power multiple Nvidia cards; ram runs about $2.25 per Gb, and you can stuff it to the gills with both ram, hard drives and video cards.

The sad reality is that Timmy believes that an Apple power user is someone that has both twitter and facebook open at the same time, which is why all of the creative types are jumping ship.

I suspect that in 10 years, Apple is going to be a much smaller company - as they develop fewer and fewer products outside of phones, all it will take is one major phone fubar to sink the company - the other divisions won't be able to pick up the slack. It is an inherent danger for companies that decide that the future is form over function.

• Which card, GTX1060 is in rendering fast as GTX980, in some cases is fast as GTX970, only thing what I hate is 6GB VRAM, 4GB is just enough for some larger renders but with 6GB you should have a bit headroom

Don't get GTX1050 these cards shouldn't be made at all, they're just inferior to anything, slow bus etc

GTX1070 or GTX1080 I would rather get if budget allows

I have a 1070 and a 970 in the same machine, so doing direct comparisons is rather easy. Rendering the same scene with the 1070 is much faster, especially with more complex parts of renders like highly complex shaders and hairs. So if a 1060 is comparable to a 970 for some renders and the 1060 6gb can match a 980 at times, the 1070 will still be noticeably faster. And the larger the scene, the more time you'll save. I would definitely recommend the 1070 instead.

BTW You'd also have 8gb to work with, that's 8 Project Evolutions or two/three figures and a complex scene.

• @ssgbryan said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

... I am going for 128Gb myself (8x8Gb) - 64Gb for the operating system, 64Gb for a RAM disk (that will hold whatever runtimes I am using in Poser at the time ;).

Just a short note regarding ram modules, i guess you know it anyway. I have a MacPro 5.1 with dual X5680 with 96Gb (6 modules) this way you have triple channel ram access. With 8 modules you have only dual channel access.

A side note on SuperFly: SuperFly can use up to half of the machines ram memory for GPU rendering (i guess for textures only). It will slow down rendering due to slower access times but its still better than getting an out-of-memory message. Don’t know how well it works with Windows. On MacOS i never had any problems with big scenes.

• Oh well. My mother in law got generous last night. So I upgraded the order to an i7 with 6 cores.

Sorry, I have bad experience with AMD processors. Granted it's ages ago and they have most certainly improved, and Ryzen is all the rage ect. But I just prefer intel. I KNOW thy work.

• @nagra_00_ said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

@ssgbryan said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

... I am going for 128Gb myself (8x8Gb) - 64Gb for the operating system, 64Gb for a RAM disk (that will hold whatever runtimes I am using in Poser at the time ;).

Just a short note regarding ram modules, i guess you know it anyway. I have a MacPro 5.1 with dual X5680 with 96Gb (6 modules) this way you have triple channel ram access. With 8 modules you have only dual channel access.

That is true, but the performance hit is negligible (around 3-5%). I am willing to pay that for the additional ram (I really want that ram disk).

A side note on SuperFly: SuperFly can use up to half of the machines ram memory for GPU rendering (i guess for textures only). It will slow down rendering due to slower access times but its still better than getting an out-of-memory message. Don’t know how well it works with Windows. On MacOS i never had any problems with big scenes.

I am still getting the hang of SuperFly. On big scenes, I have to break everything up because the UI gets balky once I go over 4Gb. Very annoying when you have over a dozen folks in a scene - which I have on a regular basis.

• @trekkiegrrrl
    Congratulations on your i7.

• @ssgbryan said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

@trekkiegrrrl
    Congratulations on your i7.

Thanks. I even got a special discount at the store shaving almost $100 off the overall price :D
    I think I was lucky to get the boss on the phone this time XD

• Poser Ambassadors

I have a question. How can I adjust my AMD Radeon R8 M445DX so I can have my preview window in OpenGL without it crashing Poser constantly? At the moment I have to keep in in SreeD. Much harder to work with.

• @Boni I would think that if you have latest drivers and latest Poser version and still crashing then problems with AMD card that wont get resolved. Save for and nvdia card.

• Hm, if i was on a small buget, i would build a system out of older components.
    My desktop is an 7 years old i7 extrem with 16 gb ram ddr2 i think.
    The gpu is a radeon hd 5800, if i remember correctly.
    Poser Pro 11 runs quite good, i use firefly and superfly.
    The benefit of older components is in my opinion, you will get well-tested hardware.
    As far as i can tell, my desktop runs without problems.
    I goggled my gpu a few weeks ago, it was down to a thirt of the original prize.

Just a thought that came, you wrote a nearby lightning killed your computer...dont you have an insureance for this kind of desaster?

• @johndoe641 said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

Which card, GTX1060 is in rendering fast as GTX980, in some cases is fast as GTX970, only thing what I hate is 6GB VRAM, 4GB is just enough for some larger renders but with 6GB you should have a bit headroom

Don't get GTX1050 these cards shouldn't be made at all, they're just inferior to anything, slow bus etc

GTX1070 or GTX1080 I would rather get if budget allows

I have a 1070 and a 970 in the same machine, so doing direct comparisons is rather easy. Rendering the same scene with the 1070 is much faster, especially with more complex parts of renders like highly complex shaders and hairs. So if a 1060 is comparable to a 970 for some renders and the 1060 6gb can match a 980 at times, the 1070 will still be noticeably faster. And the larger the scene, the more time you'll save. I would definitely recommend the 1070 instead.

BTW You'd also have 8gb to work with, that's 8 Project Evolutions or two/three figures and a complex scene.

Hi there

Agree with GTX1070, its better card without the question, 8GB VRAM can make difference in larger renders

Older generation of the GPUs mainly "Maxwell" are not the best in Poser SuperFly or Blender Cycles as these cards are still not optimized and if you are using SSS then you will see slowdown due this I would go with newer generation of the GPU like are "Pascal"

I tested few older GPUs like GTX980, GTX970 or Titan X SC etc in rendering and not been very happy with performance, performance in Octane has been pretty good there, just not in SuperFly or Blender Cycles

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @marco said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

Hm, if i was on a small buget, i would build a system out of older components.
    My desktop is an 7 years old i7 extrem with 16 gb ram ddr2 i think.
    The gpu is a radeon hd 5800, if i remember correctly.
    Poser Pro 11 runs quite good, i use firefly and superfly.
    The benefit of older components is in my opinion, you will get well-tested hardware.
    As far as i can tell, my desktop runs without problems.
    I goggled my gpu a few weeks ago, it was down to a thirt of the original prize.

Just a thought that came, you wrote a nearby lightning killed your computer...dont you have an insureance for this kind of desaster?

Uhm .. Limited budget? This is going to be the most expensive computer I have ever bought :P Because I want "latest" stuff, not something that is halfway outdated already.

You're right about the tried and tested, of course, but then that was why I asked for advisc re. the graphics card. I know that one works with Poser.

Yes I have insurance, but given that the dead computer is at least 6 years old, it is not worth the bother. Someone will try to repair it. It may work and in any case it WILL cost me money. Add to that, that I had already decided to get a new one "soon" - this was just the last nail in the coffin.

With that said, I very much hope I can salvage the harddrives. From the error that comes up, it seems it is the boot disk that is fried. That, or the motherboard. But I had several disks in it, and at least my new backup disk is fine, I have checked that :)

• @ghostship said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

@Boni I would think that if you have latest drivers and latest Poser version and still crashing then problems with AMD card that wont get resolved. Save for and nvdia card.

If Boni is running a R8 M445DX, she is running a laptop, she will need more than a nvidia card.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan My last computer was a laptop as well (had an Nvidia card in that one). it worked great till the computer died. This was all I could afford and ... I was lead to believe this card would work. Can laptop video cards be upgraded? I haven't taken a computer apart for almost 20 years when I actually rebuilt them fairly well and often.

• @Boni said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

@ssgbryan My last computer was a laptop as well (had an Nvidia card in that one). it worked great till the computer died. This was all I could afford and ... I was lead to believe this card would work. Can laptop video cards be upgraded? I haven't taken a computer apart for almost 20 years when I actually rebuilt them fairly well and often.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3128/radeon-r8-m445dx

To compare it to a desktop GPU, you are looking at about an 8 year video card (Nvidia 9600 or a Radeon 5670).

Laptop video chips are soldered onto the logic board, so you won't be upgrading it. You are sharing memory between the CPU and the GPU, so you may be running out of memory - have you maxed the system out, ram wise?

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan No, still have factory configuration ... I will look into adding more ram to see if that helps. I had a computer in the early nineties that was hand soldered ... the MB had 2 megs of ram soldered onto the board!! Dang, I thought I could get a secondary graphics card to enhance ... see how out-dated I am? Well, onward and foreward.