Graphic Card for Poser? Which?

• @nagra_00_ said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

@ssgbryan said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

... I am going for 128Gb myself (8x8Gb) - 64Gb for the operating system, 64Gb for a RAM disk (that will hold whatever runtimes I am using in Poser at the time ;).

Just a short note regarding ram modules, i guess you know it anyway. I have a MacPro 5.1 with dual X5680 with 96Gb (6 modules) this way you have triple channel ram access. With 8 modules you have only dual channel access.

That is true, but the performance hit is negligible (around 3-5%). I am willing to pay that for the additional ram (I really want that ram disk).

A side note on SuperFly: SuperFly can use up to half of the machines ram memory for GPU rendering (i guess for textures only). It will slow down rendering due to slower access times but its still better than getting an out-of-memory message. Don’t know how well it works with Windows. On MacOS i never had any problems with big scenes.

I am still getting the hang of SuperFly. On big scenes, I have to break everything up because the UI gets balky once I go over 4Gb. Very annoying when you have over a dozen folks in a scene - which I have on a regular basis.

• @trekkiegrrrl
    Congratulations on your i7.

• @ssgbryan said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

@trekkiegrrrl
    Congratulations on your i7.

Thanks. I even got a special discount at the store shaving almost $100 off the overall price :D
    I think I was lucky to get the boss on the phone this time XD

• Poser Ambassadors

I have a question. How can I adjust my AMD Radeon R8 M445DX so I can have my preview window in OpenGL without it crashing Poser constantly? At the moment I have to keep in in SreeD. Much harder to work with.

• @Boni I would think that if you have latest drivers and latest Poser version and still crashing then problems with AMD card that wont get resolved. Save for and nvdia card.

• Hm, if i was on a small buget, i would build a system out of older components.
    My desktop is an 7 years old i7 extrem with 16 gb ram ddr2 i think.
    The gpu is a radeon hd 5800, if i remember correctly.
    Poser Pro 11 runs quite good, i use firefly and superfly.
    The benefit of older components is in my opinion, you will get well-tested hardware.
    As far as i can tell, my desktop runs without problems.
    I goggled my gpu a few weeks ago, it was down to a thirt of the original prize.

Just a thought that came, you wrote a nearby lightning killed your computer...dont you have an insureance for this kind of desaster?

• @johndoe641 said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

Which card, GTX1060 is in rendering fast as GTX980, in some cases is fast as GTX970, only thing what I hate is 6GB VRAM, 4GB is just enough for some larger renders but with 6GB you should have a bit headroom

Don't get GTX1050 these cards shouldn't be made at all, they're just inferior to anything, slow bus etc

GTX1070 or GTX1080 I would rather get if budget allows

I have a 1070 and a 970 in the same machine, so doing direct comparisons is rather easy. Rendering the same scene with the 1070 is much faster, especially with more complex parts of renders like highly complex shaders and hairs. So if a 1060 is comparable to a 970 for some renders and the 1060 6gb can match a 980 at times, the 1070 will still be noticeably faster. And the larger the scene, the more time you'll save. I would definitely recommend the 1070 instead.

BTW You'd also have 8gb to work with, that's 8 Project Evolutions or two/three figures and a complex scene.

Hi there

Agree with GTX1070, its better card without the question, 8GB VRAM can make difference in larger renders

Older generation of the GPUs mainly "Maxwell" are not the best in Poser SuperFly or Blender Cycles as these cards are still not optimized and if you are using SSS then you will see slowdown due this I would go with newer generation of the GPU like are "Pascal"

I tested few older GPUs like GTX980, GTX970 or Titan X SC etc in rendering and not been very happy with performance, performance in Octane has been pretty good there, just not in SuperFly or Blender Cycles

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

• @marco said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

Hm, if i was on a small buget, i would build a system out of older components.
    My desktop is an 7 years old i7 extrem with 16 gb ram ddr2 i think.
    The gpu is a radeon hd 5800, if i remember correctly.
    Poser Pro 11 runs quite good, i use firefly and superfly.
    The benefit of older components is in my opinion, you will get well-tested hardware.
    As far as i can tell, my desktop runs without problems.
    I goggled my gpu a few weeks ago, it was down to a thirt of the original prize.

Just a thought that came, you wrote a nearby lightning killed your computer...dont you have an insureance for this kind of desaster?

Uhm .. Limited budget? This is going to be the most expensive computer I have ever bought :P Because I want "latest" stuff, not something that is halfway outdated already.

You're right about the tried and tested, of course, but then that was why I asked for advisc re. the graphics card. I know that one works with Poser.

Yes I have insurance, but given that the dead computer is at least 6 years old, it is not worth the bother. Someone will try to repair it. It may work and in any case it WILL cost me money. Add to that, that I had already decided to get a new one "soon" - this was just the last nail in the coffin.

With that said, I very much hope I can salvage the harddrives. From the error that comes up, it seems it is the boot disk that is fried. That, or the motherboard. But I had several disks in it, and at least my new backup disk is fine, I have checked that :)

• @ghostship said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

@Boni I would think that if you have latest drivers and latest Poser version and still crashing then problems with AMD card that wont get resolved. Save for and nvdia card.

If Boni is running a R8 M445DX, she is running a laptop, she will need more than a nvidia card.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan My last computer was a laptop as well (had an Nvidia card in that one). it worked great till the computer died. This was all I could afford and ... I was lead to believe this card would work. Can laptop video cards be upgraded? I haven't taken a computer apart for almost 20 years when I actually rebuilt them fairly well and often.

• @Boni said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

@ssgbryan My last computer was a laptop as well (had an Nvidia card in that one). it worked great till the computer died. This was all I could afford and ... I was lead to believe this card would work. Can laptop video cards be upgraded? I haven't taken a computer apart for almost 20 years when I actually rebuilt them fairly well and often.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3128/radeon-r8-m445dx

To compare it to a desktop GPU, you are looking at about an 8 year video card (Nvidia 9600 or a Radeon 5670).

Laptop video chips are soldered onto the logic board, so you won't be upgrading it. You are sharing memory between the CPU and the GPU, so you may be running out of memory - have you maxed the system out, ram wise?

• Poser Ambassadors

@ssgbryan No, still have factory configuration ... I will look into adding more ram to see if that helps. I had a computer in the early nineties that was hand soldered ... the MB had 2 megs of ram soldered onto the board!! Dang, I thought I could get a secondary graphics card to enhance ... see how out-dated I am? Well, onward and foreward.

• I'd like to do this one day.....

0_1533611653361_Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 12.16.50 PM.png

• @ssgbryan not with a new Mac LOL!

• @ssgbryan hah! just been looking into the possibility of turning my old dual 2GHz G5 into a hackintosh. I do like the cheese grater case. :-)

• The mod shown isn't for the faint of heart - you aren't just adding taps to the power cable, you are modding the power supply itself(Some skill with a soldering iron required). Or you are stuffing an Xbox 1 PSU in the optical bay to drive the 3rd card.

Ghostship - Yes and no. With an iMac "Pro" or a Macbook "Pro" one can add an eGPU. Apple uses an RX 580, because they don't grasp that the real world runs on CUDA (And because of this, I have a 4Gb RX 560 ($100 shipped, humming away in my Mac Pro). Can't do it with the trash can because Apple prevents the use of TB2 connectors to do it (not that they could handle the throughput). It may be possible with the upcoming "Modular" Mac Pro. It depends on what Sir Idiot Boy decides.

At the end of the day, what the remaining Mac Pro user base wants is a cheesegrater with an updated motherboard and connectors. That isn't what Apple wants, however. They don't want their customers to upgrade or repair anything; they expect us to drop 7 - 9 thousand dollars on a sealed box every 5 or 6 years.

If you are using a Mac, you probably should start planning to transition to Windows 10. The reality is that Timmy doesn't want our money anymore.

Anomalaus - lots of folks have done that. Check youtube. I've thought about it myself - I have one of those collecting dust.

Right now however, my priority is getting my 1,1 Mac Pro turned into a media server. I've already screwed up with the video card (1,1 maxes out at OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and the GT 1030 I bought needs at least 10.12.) On the other hand, I am also tinkering around with building a $200ish gaming box. An HP 8200 Elite with an i7 and either a GT 1030 or a low profile 1050ti makes a nice toy to tinker with - it will also run Poser just fine.

• @ssgbryan said in Graphic Card for Poser? Which?:

At the end of the day, what the remaining Mac Pro user base wants is a cheesegrater with an updated motherboard and connectors. That isn't what Apple wants, however. They don't want their customers to upgrade or repair anything; they expect us to drop 7 - 9 thousand dollars on a sealed box every 5 or 6 years.

Yeah, I was a Mac guy from 1986 till about 2011. Worked for a store that sold Macs and repaired them. I'm just so done with Macintosh computers. A machine that is 3 years old is considered "vintage" so they can stop selling parts and repairing them at the Apple stores and send those customers to 3rd party repair places like the one I worked for just to screw the customers AND the repair facility.

• Poser Ambassadors

The sad thing about Macs is that although the fact that they are by nature proprietary they are more stable. That is a good thing. But when they tie the users' hands in upgrades ... and price things out of the average user's budget ... if they were a smaller company they'd be shooting themselves in the foot and going out of business. I use to be a Mac proponent ... I couldn't stick with it.

• That is what happens when you have a bean counter in charge and the clown in charge of software and hardware is more concerned about the looks of a product than it's actual performance.

• @Boni I'm still mostly a Mac guy. When Jobs was in charge back in the day, Macs were expensive even then. Primarily because a lot of the money they made went back into research and development. However, since Tim Cook took over, Apple has not been anywhere near the same company it once was. It was once innovative, now they just try to come up with new ways they can screw you out of an extra buck or ten.