Hair Room - Mirror to new Group?

• When using the hair room, is there no way to mirror to a new group?

I have laid out a reasonable hairstyle for the James avatar, but I only laid it out on the left side; I would like to mirrror the growth groups to the right side, but I would like those groups to be independent new groups... not attached to or part of another group.

I did search this forum, and found references to conversations where they mentioned the lack of a symmetry button or tool in the Hair room, but those posts were rather old.

Has there been any improvement in this area in newer updates or releases?

Thank you for your time!

• @rpsdev Short answer. No.

• @eclark1849 said in Hair Room - Mirror to new Group?:

@rpsdev Short answer. No.

Ugh. I was afraid that would be the answer.

Making hair using the available tools is really painful. It's not that I can't create hair that is, at a minimum, serviceable; I'm trying to create hair that is realistic to fit the model that I retextured.

Ah well. With more practice, perhaps I will eventually be able to quickly produce realistic hair.

• Good luck. To say the hair room tools are difficult is being kind. I have fought with it since version 7. I have wrestled out a few semi-decent styles. One tool I like is a hair-to-path script. It allows you to create a path on the screen and then select hair strands that will follow it. It was never fully finished due to Poser's limitations in python, but it is usable. You can get it here http://www.morphography.uk.vu/~cagepage/looper/loopy.html. The other technique I use is to start with very short hair strands and turn the constrain length off. Then I will set the fall off very close to the tip and drag the ends in the direction I want it to go. This can be rather tedious as I usually end up working with only a few strands at a time.

• It takes a few steps, but it can be done. That is ... if I understand what you want to do.

Using the Poser hi-rez ball, I created a Group1 and a Growth Group for Group1.
    0_1533349220514_53f3ae28-62e6-475a-b239-fe7bdd128c67-image.png

Next, I created a Group2, which would end up as a mirror of Group1.

For Group2, click Add, Group and select Group1.
    0_1533349317224_450a0165-15fa-46da-9670-5f60d5bf8d88-image.png

Then click Mirror and select -x to +x (or +x to -x since I probably created my groups backwards of how you did)
    0_1533349382517_7df51938-ed2a-4c1a-a5f9-81f7628c1cab-image.png

Then click Remove, Group and select Group1
    0_1533349402679_d51a2e41-b6fb-4f3a-9398-0935c82fe70d-image.png

Then I added the Growth Group for Group2
    0_1533349417241_d157d4f8-45a7-47d6-b467-9affda746b3c-image.png

Group2 is now a mirror of Group1.

• @Satira-Capriccio Okay, humour me here for a moment, but if it takes you as many steps to mirror a group as it would to simply create a new one... then what's the point?

• @eclark1849 said in Hair Room - Mirror to new Group?:

@Satira-Capriccio Okay, humour me here for a moment, but if it takes you as many steps to mirror a group as it would to simply create a new one... then what's the point?

In my case, it's so that I hopefully end up with a perfect mirror of the guides that I have already created and shaped on the left side of my models' head.

• @eclark1849 I would think it would be a good way to make the mirror a "twin" of the first side done. There's no guarantee you'll get the second side exactly the same if you do it from scratch.

• @eclark1849 there's no point being nit-picky over a the simplest possible example. Just imagine if the original group had been a tediously selected checkerboard of facets, instead of a region that could be defined with only a few area selections, then ask your devil's advocate question again. Sheesh! [PS I know you're not at all dumb, 'cause you do Blender stuff proficiently, but that's how that question came across. Apology]

• @anomalaus If it works and it does what someone wants, Win!

• Poser Ambassadors

then again no hair looks the same on the right and left side.

• @eclark1849
    I rarely mirror hair groups. I just knew it was possible to do what rpsdev asked if you wanted to go through several steps.

I use a skullcap I created for Dawn which has a whole slew of material groups. So when I create my hair groups, I just select the material zones I want.

Now, if I were creating the hair groups directly from Dawn, I might well use a mirroring process like I described ... especially for the area around her ears where the polygons are so small.

• @Satira-Capriccio Despite what Anomalaus said, I didn't mean it to sound like I was attacking you.

• @Ghostman said in Hair Room - Mirror to new Group?:

then again no hair looks the same on the right and left side.

Yes, that's true; but the majority of hairstyles are an attempt at symmetry. I can make individual adjustments to both sides to make the hairstyle more organic, but I want to start with a good base.

• Hairstyles may not be symmetrical, but I find I often use symmetrical hair groups anyhow. I usually use the same groups regardless of the style, except pulled back. Maybe I should save a cap with the groups already done. If I ever get back to making hair, I might.