Raytrace Preview question

• Short question: Does it use the current render settings or a faster one?

Asking because mine has more or less stopped working in the middle of an image. But then, I have rendered the whole thing a few times, with my "final" settings, so I assume it's using those settings in the preview as well? Can anyone confirm? :)

• Poser Ambassadors

looks like it uses the final setting you have

• Yea, I figured, since it had Depth of Field and all. Hm. Oh well, I'll just have to wait with the final settings until it actually IS the final, then ;)

Now that each render doesn't take a day, I'm constantly tweaking anything and everything XD

• @trekkiegrrrl It'd be really nice if there were a way to export the Raytrace Preview as an image to replace the library icons! I mean consistently the exact size, without having to manually select a rectangle with a screen capture tool every time.

• Now THAT would be a feature!

• @anomalaus
    Or set the render size to a square, then saved Icons will match
    I have a render preset set to do that
    Bill

• @willyb53 I used to do that, but I object to filling up my render cache with postage stamp size renders ;-)

• Poser Ambassadors

What @willyb53 said.

Plus, when I make icons for a commercial set I have a scene file saved to the library so I can get consistent renders between sessions if I forget/change something.

• When I am working on a product, I use netherworks thumbnail designer, which bypasses the image cache and allows borders and text etc.
    Bill

• Poser Ambassadors

+1 for any Netherworks product ;)

• @anomalaus said in Raytrace Preview question:

@trekkiegrrrl It'd be really nice if there were a way to export the Raytrace Preview as an image to replace the library icons! I mean consistently the exact size, without having to manually select a rectangle with a screen capture tool every time.

Aaaaand, now there is! At least for Poser users on macOS, for a first draft. Currently only successfully extracts the RayTracePreview image when the palette is floating, as the coordinates are relative to the screen. I will have to delve into the wxAUI innards further to extract the locations of the parent panels when the preview is docked, so I don't get a semi-random area of the screen saved to the file.
    0_1534487277388_Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 8.28.15 pm.png floating 0_1534487289080_RayTracePreview.png docked (Oops!)

[More to come...]

• OK, further progress. Script copes with both docked and floating RayTracePreview palettes by ditching the primitive parsing of aui.SavePerspective() strings, and going straight for the jugular of the RayTracePreview aui.pane itself. Found some references to using the ClientToScreen() method of the pane's window to convert pane relative coordinates to screen relative, so I can pass them to the screen capture utility. This simply gives me a quick and nasty way to test my coordinate conversion logic, since it is a macOS only solution ATM.
    0_1534504658769_RayTracePreview.png [Marinette swore she would give up chewing Fizzy Lime 5Gum any time now!]

I'm getting identical saved files with exactly the right dimensions, regardless of palette docking state now.

I will probably leave the screencapture utility call in for macOS users, as the Windows solution will require PIL (Python Image Libraries), which is utterly borked in macOS Poser's bundled Python, unless the user manually replaces it with Pillow ("Would you say that requires a modicum of fortitude and luck, Doctor Spooner?" ... "I'd better not, ahem!"), as I have done.