Details... details.

• I'm still learning to model, but I'm getting there. I have a question though. My main issue is to try and find a balance between making models with enough details and a decent but manageable polygon count for Poser or any other program. I don't know where that line is. I deal mainly with Poser, but as my profienciency increases, I hope to eventually model props for Poser, Studio and games. What's a "reasonable" size to detail ratio for models? Should I model in details or is using bump and normal maps more preferable?

• Poser Ambassadors

The question of questions that everybody fights sooner or later.

Most important is: Who is the client, and what are the possibilities of the app and render engine they use.

Simple example : FireFly and SuperFly. and there are many others…...

• FireFly and SuperFly use a different Normal map system; So where do you go with your details?

• FireFly can do Microdisplacement at pixel level, SuperFly can do Microdisplacement but only at vertex level. => So where do you go with your details?

• Both Firefly and SuperFly can do bump in the same way. So this is the way to go if you want to be able to use both render engines in the same way.

Next on the line is specular. (Tja whatever and however you model, it is texture we see, it is texture we render.)

• FireFly root node does specular, and does reflections.
    • PhysicalSurFace root node does reflection/roughness combination.
    • Cycles can do both, but again in a different way.

The obj file details.
    Basically? Look at my video 2 on YouTube. (Build FBM and enhance with a HD morph) => Then continue the extra fine details in bump/displacement/normal map depending on the render engine. (see above)

Extra line on clothing.
    Clothing likes to be build with the +/- same polygon sizes as the figure that is going to wear it. WHy? => Clothing has to be rigged and the rigging transfer works best on similar density meshes.

See Earl, many things to think about, and probably the most difficult question to answer.

Obj file quality.
    It is extremely important that whatever you model is properly vertex grouped and welded, and repaired after the rig transfer and save to library.

• @eclark1849
    It all depends on what that item is.
    Just look at items similar to yours (from as much places as possible) to give you a rough idea.

• @chk2033 Sound advice. I would add, take your item into Poser and subD it using unimesh. If it behaves sufficiently better with more polygons, add them to your model.

• Poser Team

The basic thing to remember is that it is all in the illusion. What I mean by that is this. If you can get away with less polygons, well, there is your answer. Programs like Substance painter, Mari, and others that allow you to paint in 3D allow you to add a lot of detail to a low poly model. The trick is if it will work in the targeted render engine. (micro polygon displacement, etc.

• Poser Ambassadors

@shvrdavid
    Correct Scott. All we do is "play" with the eyes, in "make believe", because no matter what we do? The end result is always the same. => 2D on a flat screen.

Long, time ago, yes, a very long time ago, (NOT so LOL) it only shows we are becoming older and older, a NEW Poser figure came out and the very first question in ALL forums was : What's the polycount? LOL. What is the polycount? ?
    Not a soul asked : How does she look? Does she bend well? What are the textures like?

That "NEW" figure was V3.
    Polycount was GOD and the universe multiplied to infinity. LOL.
    Yep, my age is showing here. LOL.

Same thing happened with V4 and some newer meshes.

With render engines improvements, and the tendency to get more realistic results together with the arrival of the PBR workflow, textures and shader setups gain importance over pure and brute polycount.

The bending went from stick and pole to weight and bulge maps, and slowly we are getting somewhere.

Most who build HIGH to extremely high polycount in the past are coming back down to earth, because these things are a simply a nightmare to rig properly.

And ? ? ? What are our average full body renders? ? ? About 5 inches tall?
    Just an example ; A rendered purse that's 2 inch is a large one.
    You really have to look hard and deep to find renders where the rendered shoes are 1 inch tall.

It is all about "make believe", be it with mesh or textures.

• Maybe I'm over thinking things.

0_1533583886342_69203b02-77d4-4fc3-9aa7-3f873163c58d-image.png Or I should start on something ambitious, but small scale?

• It depends on severl things. Is it an item that would be rendered close up in general? Or something that will be in the background? On background stuff, you can get by with much less polys.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.