crushed velvet

• this is what I got so far. any hints or help to make it better would be great.0_1467927119267_Crushed Velvet.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

You might try tweaking the normals instead of just the Sigma.

A year ago (before we had P11) I was messing around with my velvet shader, which is kind of huge. I was trying to find a way to reduce to the minimum possible nodes, in FireFly.

Here's one of my experiments. The pink and blue is making a procedural normal map. Try it.

0_1467945792835_Velvet Simple.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

There are lots of different cloths in the velvet family. I worked on a velvet shader in FireFly trying to find all the variations needed and get them in one shader.

One thing I was doing was adding a bit of noise to the color. Another is making the edge-most color tip to gray or white more. Here are some samples I did. (Again, FireFly)

Noisy color --
    0_1467945996002_V2.jpg

White tips (and a different crushed velvet, also doing normals) --
    0_1467945952713_V1.jpg

Some velvets made from shiny synthetic fibers exhibit a sheen, too --
    0_1467946059414_roxie2.jpg

• @bagginsbill said in crushed velvet:

You might try tweaking the normals instead of just the Sigma.

A year ago (before we had P11) I was messing around with my velvet shader, which is kind of huge. I was trying to find a way to reduce to the minimum possible nodes, in FireFly.

Here's one of my experiments. The pink and blue is making a procedural normal map. Try it.

0_1467945792835_Velvet Simple.jpg

The procedural normal gave some strange results. plugged into the normal channel on the velvet shader gave me what you see in the picture. plugging it into the normal on the defuse did not seem to do anything. I also tried plugging it into a cycles normal node and then that into the displacement on the root cycles node. I'm sure I did most of that wrong because I don't know what I'm doing with this stuff.0_1467947427494_CV normal test.jpg