Clean install of Clip Studio Paint

• This is my first post in this forum so I say hello everyone.
    I'm a full time comic book artist and I've used Manga Studio as my unique tool to create comics since 2009 and I've upgraded to the newest version as it is released.
    My last upgrade was from the last version of Manga Studio 5EX to Clip Studio Paint.
    Since that upgrade I experienced a extremely laggy behavior in the text tool (on the page and on the text editor).

It seems that it's only a problem of my configuration so I want to do a clean install of CSP but I don't want to loose all the materials and special brushed I've created plus other configurations like Workspaces and Auto Actions.

Where are the personal customization files allocated? In order to keep them before I do the clean install.

I work on Mac OS X El Capitan on a macbook pro and on a Cintiq 13HD, 16GB of ram.

Thanks in advance.

• The folder you're looking for is Celsys_EN. On a PC it's installed in My Documents. Not sure where it goes on the Mac. You can copy and move the whole folder to someplace safe until you reinstall but the folders you will want to replace are primarily going to be CLIPStudioCommon (which holds your Materials) and CLIPstudioPaintVer1-5-0 (which holds your tools, workspace, actions and so on). When you replace the Materials folder, you may have to run the File>Organize Materials function to get CSP to recognize the Materials.

• @garlam Thank you very much, Garlam.
    They just told me, at the Celsys user support, that the laggy behavior of all text tool is a software problem. Do you use the text tool on a regular basis?
    I'm planning to reinstall MS 5 EX and I'm scared.

• I didn't think the text lag was a configuration problem at all. The lag is an issue with the amount of text characters on a single text layer.
    The key to dealing with the lag is to separate your text boxes by layer. One way to add text from a script is to copy a block of dialogue from the script and pasting it into place on the page. Then going back to copy another block of dialogue. Back and forth, Back and forth. I find this monotonous but it will work as long as the text is added to a new layer each time. I don't know how you're adding text to the page but I've found the following works well for me.

What I've done is gone to File>Preferences>Edit Text and set How To Insert New Text to Always Create New Layer. New Text Property is set to Selected Text Tool Property. Under Line Break How to show is set to Normal and Divide Text by Line Break is set to Divide by Two Consecutive Line Breaks. View has to do with the text in the Story Editor so I have that set to Arial to minimize drawing time for text in the Story Editor.

0_1468288728527_text tool.jpg

Next, make sure your Text Tool is set up properly. The Text Tool is definitely one tool that should not remain as shipped (unless you live in Japan). Go to the Sub Tool Detail palette and go to Edit Settings. I hate the resize handles so I've unchecked that, and I've made the color user specified Black so I don't have to deal with the text being added as the main color. Then choose Create New Layer for How to Add. Go to Text and make sure Horizontal is selected. Make any other changes that you find necessary, font, size, center justification, etc. Then Register Settings as Initial Settings.

Now when you open Story Editor you can paste about 4 pages from your script into one page of your art. It's probably going to be a huge amount of text containing panel descriptions and so on and there's going to be a slight lag at first but it will improve as you continue to cut the text up.

First, hold Shift and click the text box to highlight it then right click and select Apply Tool Property To Text (you need to have the Text Tool selected before you do this). This will place all of your text onto the page horizontally and center justified (if you selected center justified in the text tool property) at the proper size and correct font. Then place the cursor at the end of the first page and hold Shift while clicking Enter. This will separate the text. Do this with the next three pages. Then hold Shift while you click on the second text box to select that text box. You can drag that text box down to the proper page in your story. For example, if you're on page 12 and you pasted pages 12 to 15 into page 12 of the story editor, you will cut the pages apart and drag the page 13 text box onto page 13 in Story Editor and then do the same for pages 14 and 15.

With the pages separated, you can start to separate the dialogue (I refer to caption text as dialogue as well) on the first page. Place the cursor at the beginning of your first block of dialogue and click Shift+Enter. Then begin to shape your dialogue balloon from within Story Editor by clicking enter after two or three (or four or whatever) words of dialogue. If you have an idea of how you like dialogue to appear on the page (diamond shape or square) this is pretty intuitive but can be changed later if needed when you have a look at the page (don't bother looking at the page yet - no reason to wait while CSP draws all that text when you will delete everything that isn't dialogue). At the end of the Dialogue, after shaping it, click Shift+Enter to separate it. Continue this way separating panel descriptions and character names and so on from the dialogue and shaping the dialogue. Don't be super concerned about the shape of the dialogue - it can be changed anytime.

With everything separated, you can hold Ctrl and select the text boxes you don't need (panel descriptions and character names and so on) to highlight them and then just click delete. When you open the page now in a separate tab, all of your dialogue will appear on the page and you just need to move them into place using the Object tool (or the Text Tool).

When you add balloons, you can make sure that the balloon tool is set to Add To Selected Layer and Combine to Text In the Drawing Area. That will add the balloons to the text layers and if you have a balloon that is to be added to another balloon, you can select the top text layer and hit Ctrl+E to drop the text layer to the text layer below (adding the balloons together).

• Thank you so much @garlam for all your work to help me. I'll follow your guidelines and be back to you.
    Something unexplainable to me ocurred. I reinstalled MS5EX decided to re take my work, but the lag was there too! It didn't happen before I upgraded to CSP. Do they share some libraries or something?

• What happened with the CSP upgrade install is that all of your tools and materials were pulled from the MS5 install so the two installations reflect one another. It could be that when you reinstalled MS5, it pulled the settings from the CSP install and now MS5 is reflecting CSP. But I don't know.

• @garlam Just to thank you. I followed your guidelines and things are way better now. Thank you veer much for your advice.

• Here's a little organizational tip for your lettering. I prefer to have all the text layers in one Folder Layer and instead of having to create a new Folder Layer then selecting all the text layers and dragging them into the new Folder Layer I've added a premade Folder Layer with a placeholder text layer in my page template.

For anyone unfamiliar with templates, you can setup your page with any elements you require and go to Edit>Register Layer as Template Material, name it, and place it in Material> Manga Material>Framing Template. Then when creating a new project click the Template box and select the template.

With a Lettering Folder and placeholder text layer on your pages, when you open Story Editor to prepare your text layers, you can paste your copied script text right into the placeholder textbox. The text layers will be placed in the lettering folder. When you separate your pages and drag a text box down to its proper page, you can't drop it into the placeholder text box. Instead just drop it above; it will still go in the lettering Folder Layer. Just select the placeholder text box along with the other text boxes to be deleted and delete it.

In my template, I have the Lettering Layer Folder above my Frame Folder. When it comes to Frame Folders, there are two camps: you either use one Frame Folder for every panel on the page or you use separate Frame Folders for each panel. If you use separate Frame Folders, I can understand wanting to place each panel's dialogue into the panel's Frame Folder to take advantage of the Frame Folder's mask but organizationally, it's messy to separate the lettering like that.

Instead, create a mask for the lettering folder. If you like to have the balloons contained by the panel borders use the Refer Editing Layer Only magic wand with Select Additionally on the Frame Folder Layer to select the inside of each panel border then go onto the Lettering Folder Layer and click the quick mask button.

If you like the balloons that break the borders, select the gutter space while on the Frame Folder Layer and reverse the selection, then go to the Lettering Folder Layer and click quick mask.

You might have to clean up some balloons that over hang the borders using the square marquee tool to make selections of the over hang and masking them on the Folder Layer's mask.

Or, on balloons that overlap from other panels, you will have to make a mask on that balloon's layer.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.