direct light makes things look fake

• Here is a sunset example. Her skin on the direct version looks flat and unrealistic although I like the shadows (probably because they are lit by the sphere). Her hair needs bigger highlights in the front lit one as well. Next I want to see what the area lights look like compared to equal sized and shaped mesh lights.0_1468510827647_sunset.jpg

• @Y-Phil said in direct light makes things look fake:

@ghostship
    And what do you think of use an area light?

so far have not had great results with them. we will see. And I do believe that some of the problems are in fact coming from the texture maps or shaders on the skin. There is almost no shininess on her face in that last one. I used a spec map when I set up her skin in EZSkin3.

• @ghostship

I may be wrong but I rely on EZSkin's proc. specular most of the time.
    The example below is rather dark because the scene is in a dark street, lit by two area lights, one of which above the head (almost 4x the woman's height)
    The settings I'm using serve me as a start, as it depends on each hair prop's bitmap. I play with "Hair specular value", "Color intensity" and "Transluscence"

EZSkin's Hair settings

@ghostship

I may be wrong but I rely on EZSkin's proc. specular most of the time.
    The example below is rather dark because the scene is in a dark street, lit by two area lights, one of which above the head (almost 4x the woman's height)
    The settings I'm using serve me as a start, as it depends on each hair prop's bitmap. I play with "Hair specular value", "Color intensity" and "Transluscence"

EZSkin's Hair settings

I've use ezskin in the past for SSS on hair, worked pretty good for light blonde hair but not well for dark hair. This is what I'm doing with hair in these renders. I use a texture map that has minimal highlights burned in because that just ruins my day. I take the map into Photoshop and lighten it up for use as a spec color map and then plug the spec amount into the transmap so the invisible stuff doesn't shine.It's real simple but it works. 0_1468530247069_hair mat.jpg

• area vs. mesh lights: Here I set up some lights in a clamshell config like Piersyf suggests in his tute. I substituted flatened cubes for the lights and placed them the same for the mesh example.0_1468530474531_area mesh.jpg

• Not really super happy with either the area or mesh lights. They just look flat and lifeless.

• @ghostship
    Flat and lifeless?

• Doesn't look flat and lifeless to me either, and I'm having a hard time choosing which I like better, the Area light, or the Mesh light.

• @Miss-B

Technically, with an area light, you have the same control as for each standard lights.

@Miss-B

Technically, with an area light, you have the same control as for each standard lights.

not much different than adjusting the ambient level and color and size of your mesh and you can use things other than squares for lights.

• Hi there

I think they(renders) looks OK there,I would just add,use Photoshop or any photo manipulation SW like Gimp and many others which can give yours renders bit of life,everyone use PS for postworks and most of renders are postworked at least they're correcting curves as I do,without this renders are bit flat

Yes I agree,you shouldn't use PS or any photo manipulation SW,but I use :-)

I use most of the time Area light or spotlight which works for me in many renders,outdoor renders I usually don't do there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @jura11 said in direct light makes things look fake:

Hi there

I think they(renders) looks OK there,I would just add,use Photoshop or any photo manipulation SW like Gimp and many others which can give yours renders bit of life,everyone use PS for postworks and most of renders are postworked at least they're correcting curves as I do,without this renders are bit flat

Yes I agree,you shouldn't use PS or any photo manipulation SW,but I use :-)

I use most of the time Area light or spotlight which works for me in many renders,outdoor renders I usually don't do there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hey
    Yeah, I have CS6 but use it mostly for texture editing. I do post work on stuff but lately was trying to get it right in Poser.

• Poser Ambassadors

I see it like this. When I take a photo I want to capture information. It's about getting the best quality data - I don't expect to get a final image in camera. I look at render engines as capture devices too. The subjective appearance of a raw render doesn't concern me; the objective data as shown by a histogram is the important thing. & I HATE typing on phones :D

• @caisson

I love your philosophy :D