Combining 2 reference files/3D figures on one layer?

• Hello - is there a way to combine either two or more referenced images on one layer and then ink the entire scene? I did manage with the 3D figures, however I cannot yet manage with imported facial portraits that I want to combine.

Problem: I cannot group the facial portraits (like f.e. to separate fotos combined in Manga for a wedding card motive, or adding a facial reference to a 3D doll) and then ink over them to create a new template (I am originally a painter and have been using MangaStudio 5 on a Wacom Cintiq to create more complicated scenes I can then beam on big analog canvasses and then start "old school" painting, for a start)

Thanks for any help, I am totally lost right now
    Newt

• To place two images on the same layer would just require merging the two layers (or transferring one image down). There are quick buttons on the Layer Property command bar for Combine to Lower and Transfer to Lower Layer but you can also find these functions using the Layer drop down menu.

You can't combine different types of layers. Adding a facial reference to a 3D doll can't happen unless you rasterize the 3D layer and the image reference. Merging the two would create a raster image.

To group two different types of layers and keep them different types of layers, you can group the layers into a layer folder.

• THANKS! I will try this!

• Hello - still struggling big time: I can import one photo, lay a raster layer over it and ink it (as with analog tracing paper).

But two inked templates don't combine, I cannot (as with power point) add the two files to a new canvas and adjust direction and combine them f.e. in a kiss. One raster layer completely overlaps the other. I don't want to go back to printing, glueing, collage-ing, re-scanning and then inking as I think MS5 does that all - is there a training video specifically on this topic?

Thanks in advance.
    Newt

• I think I see what you're saying now. I don't think you want to combine the two images onto one layer, but you want to manipulate the images so they appear to be together. Let's take the following example: I have three pictures, one of a boy, one of a girl, and one of a school; and I want to combine the three so the boy and girl are facing one another in front of the school. When I import the three images, they stack on top of one another and I can only see the top image.
    0_1468732758153_three.jpg
    0_1468732824805_layers.jpg

The first thing I would do is select the boy layer and click the quick mask button on the Layer Palette Command Bar. Then click the mask layer that appears and use a brush with transparent pixels or an eraser to remove the background.

0_1468733500708_mask2.jpg
    0_1468733267696_mask.jpg

The girl is facing the other direction. I can just grab the handle of the image using the Object tool and pull to the other side to flip the picture (so you would grab the blue handle on the left and pull it to the right so it is on the right side of the right most handle).

Then do the same thing with the girl layer, applying a mask and removing the background.

0_1468733883159_combined.jpg

Create a layer above this and start inking. But you may want to Blue your composition first. Create a new Layer Folder and place the image three layers in that folder. Then go to the Layer Property Palette and click the Layer Color Effect Button.

0_1468734216483_blued.jpg

Now start inking on the inking layer.

• THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH for taking the time and helping me with screenshots! This is awesome! Wow! Great! Thanksthanksthanks!

I am a total newbie at the program (as you may have guessed) plus no mother tongue english plus born in the last millennium, and to make things really cumbersome, with an "italian" temperament that totally lacks patience :-)

I will try this! I bow to you, my sensei!
    Thanks
    Newt

• Dear Garlam - partly successful (the erasor is fab), but couldn't find the blue handle.

The images/quick mask layers stick on top of each other, I cannot grab just one layer and move it around for correction of the distance between two figures or make their heads tilt a bit more.

Do you have to know the exact position of each figure before? Or can layers be grabbed and moved around - like in your example I'd want to create a little more distance between the boy and the girl.

I will dedicate my first project to you, when I get this accomplished ... whew!
    Thx
    Newt

• ... Dear Garlam, just that eraser function was a quantum leap, even though I cannot do all what I want yet, I can create a new painting template, which already is fantastic! Thx again, yours Newt

• When you import an image there are handles (the balls at the corners, and at the middle of each side plus another that extends out from the top a bit which rotates the image) that can be used to size the image. If you grab at the edge of the image with the Object tool (the square on which the balls rest) you can move the image. Resize and move the image using these handles and the edge with the Object tool. If you've applied a mask, moving the image using the Object tool at the edge of the image will move the image but not the mask. Instead, you have to move the Layer by using the Move tool (next to the Marquee tool on the Tool palette). You can't resize the image along with the mask. If you need to resize, apply the mask to the image using the Apply Mask button next to the Quick Mask button (which will destroy what's been hidden) and then you can click Ctrl+T to resize.

Since you are able to use the eraser tool then it means you've already Rasterized the imported images and that means that you won't see any handles (it's a raster image now and not an image material) so the above bit of info isn't useful but in the future you don't necessarily need to rasterize the reference image if you're just removing the background.

Using masks is a non-destructive way of removing parts of the image. If you are using the mask, you can always recover lost parts of the image by removing the mask (paint on the mask with colored pixels to reveal what's hidden - erase to hide).

On a rasterized image, erasing is destructive (you can't get it back without Undo), which may not be all that bad depending on what you are doing.

• Now, you mentioned tilting a head. If you are working with an image material, this is something you would need to rasterize for. For the example above, let's say I wanted to tilt the boy's head a little more, I would need to apply the mask to rasterize the image (the button next to Quick Mask) then I can make a selection of the head. From the selection toolbar I can select transform.

0_1468754894531_selection.jpg

Then grab the little x at the center of the selection and move it to the base of the neck.

0_1468754986243_selection2.jpg

Then move the mouse to the outer side of the corner so you see the rotate icon then grab and move.

0_1468755061807_selection3.jpg

Press Enter to accept the transformation.

• Cool! Many many thanks! This really helped big time! Wishing you a great week, I will practice meanwhile.

Thank you, dear sensei!
    Newt

• Dear Garlam, it's been a while but your help helped a great deal, and as promised I dedicate my first work to you. Not perfect at all, but from being able to do nothing at all with the program to being able to do a bit was a quantum leap that I thank to you! Best regards, Newt
    0_1469962291505_Tango Sauvage 2.jpg

• Great! Keep it up. You'll get the hang of the of the features in the program in no time.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.