Genesis 3 To Poser 11 Without Going Into Daz Studio

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi,
    Here is the link to the forum for questions and trouble shooting.
    Willdial checks that forum regularly. He knows a lot more about the technical side than I do so it would be a benefit to post questions there.

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?forum_id=12503

estherau,
    Willdial works with a lot of characters in his scenes. I know he likes to use Genesis 3 in scenes with Dawn, V4 and others so he could answer your question better than I can.

• Poser Ambassadors

grubendol,
    As far as I know there 3 ways to get the shader structure.

1. EZSkin3 has settings that give procedural bumps, specular etc.

![alt text](0_1469466222700_Procedurals.jpg image url)

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's what it looks like in the material room.
    cheerio
    lululee

![alt text](image url)0_1469466296779_Bump-Specular.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

1. Contact the character vendor and ask them if they could send you the correct material files

The problem is most vendors gave up on writing the material files for Poser for Genesis 3.
    it will take them awhile to realize there is now a market for the material files for Poser for Genesis 3.
    The only way the vendors will know there is a need for them is If enough people contact them directly asking for the Poser material files.

1. Requires going into Daz Studio and converting the materials.
      You can put all of your character folder in a folder and batch convert them all at once.
      Willdial can tell you how to do that.

Cheerio
    lululee

• Poser Ambassadors

grubendol,
    Morphs and shapes:
    When you load Genesis 3 and put her through willdial's updater she will only show up with all of the morphs and shapes that are CURRENTLY
    installed.
    When you purchase new characters, morphs etc they will not show up until :
    Reload Genesis 3 and re-convert her with Willdial's plugin.
    Then the new ones will show up.
    There is no need to go into Daz Studio to either load or reload morphs and shapes.
    Let me know if this fixes the problem.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee: Thanks a lot for the effort you put into helping me with my questions.

I did not realize that there are so many presets in EZSkin3. I will try to find and play around with them.

Concerning the morphs, do I understand you right that when I install new G3F morphs into my DSON Poser content folder, they are automagically applied to the basic G3F character when I reload and re-convert her?

• Poser Ambassadors

grubendol,
    Yes,
    When new morphs are installed and you then re-load Genesis 3
    Run that new Genesis 3 through willdial's updater
    Your new morphs will show up.
    They will not show up on the previous Poser Genesis 3 before the new morphs were installed
    They will show up on the new Genesis 3.

I know it is a bit confusing when you first start working with Genesis 3 in Poser.
    We have to memorize new sequences.
    After a few days of working with her it will be very easy.

One benefit of using EZSkin 3 shader structures and even the "procedurals only" presets is these shader structures and displacement/specular procedurals are designed for top quality renders in poser 11 firefly and superfly. Snarlygribbly and BB really understand these Poser 11 shader structures.
    Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheerio
    lululee

• This post is deleted!

• @xen: For me personally, DAZ Studio is a pain in the a**e. I tried it, but it was so unintuitive that I lost patience after a week.
    I use Poser since version 1 and I am used to it. Is has its flaws, but I like it and I can achieve results quite quickly. And it really gets better with every version (let's talk about the features here, not the bugs). SuperFly finally smoothly filled the gap that previously meant fumbling around with Reality, Octane or exporting to other 3D software.

• I think this thread is about making a figure that is normally for DS work in poser. I did try it early on and found it did need the DSON script and more than one of these figures in a scene caused me problems in poser. But anyway a lot of people just make portraits with one figure so that should be useful to them.
    As for me, I will keep going with V4 for the time being, but I watch threads like this with interest and will be really keen to know how others get on with posing, dressing and using these figures in big poser scenes.
    Love esther

• Poser Ambassadors

@xen
    Yes, it does all work.

"What are we giving up vs using it in DS? (Other than iRay vs Superfly)"
    Basically, you are giving up the myth that Genesis 3 does not work in Poser 11.
    I mean that in a respectful way.
    Somewhere something changed and DSON with either Dimension3D's XL library manager or Semidieu's Shaderworks library manger2 with the DazStudio plugin
    writes the Poser Companion automatically and converts Genesis 3 to triax.
    That changes things and makes it easy.
    If you are a Poser user, and want the choice to set up your scene and render Genesis 3 in Poser 11 either firefly or superfly you it will be able to do that in a very seamless manner if you have an interest in working with Genesis 3 in Poser.

Cheerio
    lululee

• @xen I haven't done this, but the big difference I want is the ability to use comic book mode with Genesis 3.

• Poser Ambassadors

@grubendol
    I, too, am a Poser user since version 1 and I am also happily impressed with the latest version of Poser 11.
    As a vendor, I am now hybrid (working in both DS and Poser).
    I personally like the IRAY render but would never want to give up Poser firefly or now Superfly. I think when you start out with a software and really learn it, it becomes like a familiar friend
    that understands HOW you like to create with. To me, Poser renders skin absolutely exquisitely for my style of art.

Also as a vendor I still do all of my development in Poser. Even for DS. Once I have a product developed in Poser I just copy and paste my file names from my Poser mat or material files into DS for DS mats. I do mostly bodygloves and characters so it is simple for me to do that.

When I started working with willdial and Genesis 3 in Poser on the original tutorial set we were not sure if we could get things to work.
    I wanted a cost effective path because I did not want to make a big investment and then realize it was too time consuming.

I purchased some pose converting products from Dimension3d that enabled me to take all of my V4 poses, dump them into 1 folder and batch convert them first to Genesis 2, then the Genesis 2 files to Genesis 3. That was a way for a low entry price. Now I don't have to buy any new poses for Genesis 3.

I also purchased from Dimension3d the converters to convert V4 and even V3 morphs to Genesis 2 them Genesis 2 to Genesis 3.
    I can use Blacksmith 3d's texture converter to convert all of my V4 character textures and all of my bodygloves to Genesis 3 .
    I was able to do all of this in a very cost effective way

Now, you might ask, why would I bother with Genesis 3 when I already have V4 working just fine.
    As an artist I saw that available new Poser products forV4 that interested me were dwindling.
    As a vendor, a Genesis 3 product sold 3 to 10 times better than the same V4 product. That to me is a no brainer.
    As a happy Poser user I am not going to give up Poser. No way!
    That meant Genesis 3 had to come with me into Poser and be easy to work with on a daily basis.
    Hence my workflow.
    I have to say I am now very happy with my workflow and keep trying to improve it every day.
    I am happy to share my experience because we are a community and the stronger we are as a community the more fun we have.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• Poser Ambassadors

@estherau
    As artists, we have to find the workflow that works best for us.
    You have really accomplished something with your amazing comics and are in inspiration to all of us with your excellent work.
    I always read your posts because you find and do really interesting things.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee Excuse the digression, but does Dimension3d have a pose converter that works in Poser? I only see the V4 converter at Daz3d, which says it's only for Daz. But if it works for Poser, I'll grab it since it's 50% off right now.

• This post is deleted!

• Poser Ambassadors

@willshetterly
    As far as I know the pose converter only does the conversion in Daz Studio.
    1-I convert the V4 to Genesis 2 pose folder first in DS
    2-Convert the new Genesis 2 poses to Genesis 3 poses in DS
    3- Now I can open each Genesis 3 converted pose inside of Poser through Dimension3d's XL Library manager

Basically, I've learned to use Daz Studio as a "utility" to do jobs for Poser.
    If you want screen shots o can make them for you.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee Thank you, but no need for screen caps. I'm putting it on my wish list so I won't forget about it, but I'll wait a bit to decide whether it's a must-have.

• Poser Ambassadors

@xen
    Here's an image I put together in less than 15 minutes from start to render.
    2 Genesis 3 (outter) 2 V4 (Inner)
    Mind you, this is not a high quality render, in fact it is kind of sloppy because it is just a quick test., but it was quite fast and I have an older computer.

![alt text](0_1469562958179_G3-RE-Torso-Slim-05.png image url)

• Poser Ambassadors

@willshetterly
    Ok. Just let me know if you want the screen shots later.
    Cheerio
    lululee