Poser and... WHICH modeler (Blender, Blacksmith, ZBrush, etc.)?

• @vilters nvm. I expert with it already.. Thanks for u tutorial.

• @meshbox I've been using 3dc for a couple of months and was thrilled to death enough to upgrade from educational to commercial when v3.7 was on sale (there's a limitation on textures that's a very minor inconvenience in the educational version). I'd suggest a pen tablet and possibly a 3D mouse for any of the products mentioned above that support them. As well as a little patience, persistence, and planning to throw your first efforts into the trashcan. True of everything: nothing's as easy as it looks.

• I use Zbrush all the times to create morphs for my characters. I love Zbrush, to me it's easy to use, almost like virtual clay. :)

• Poser Ambassadors

Hello guys, uploaded the third video in this series.
    You do not have to have a "Pro" Poser to use FB and HD Morphs.

Have fun using the Poser tools. Best regards, Tony

• I've made MANY morphs "in" Poser and I doubt you'd notice a difference in quality. I know... SCANDALOUS! :)

As far as modelers - Blender, Silo both cool. I spent the last 6+ months in Maya and IMHO, it makes anything look easy. It's a great toolkit for sure but like anything, has it's own ways. I can say with 100% certainty that we are blessed with having the rigging features that Poser has. It is involved in other softwares, auto rigging or not!

• Can anybody recommend a good book or tutorial for learning about topology?
    0_1472735310815_Topology.png

• Do you have an IPad? There's a book by a Pixar artist that's only available in the apple book store. He does have a site though:

Keep in mind his book is about modeling and rigging for articulation, not for morphing. The two aren't always exclusive but they also don't always go hand in hand.
    http://www.hippydrome.com/

Most books on modeling characters will cover topology to some degree, though most focus on head topology not body topology. That said there are lots of tutorials online for building characters that cover varying topology workflows. One thing to keep in mind with topology is that you tend to build for what the character is used for. In Poser's universe, this can mean anything, so experiment with topology flow to find what works best for you and the character you're making. Good practices (but not hard rules) is to hide triangles, if you use them, in places that won't deform a lot. Another is to try to avoid creating lots of poles (vertices where 5 or more edges meet), it's not easy to do and won't always be possible but try or if you can't, then position them in non-deforming areas.

Eyelids and lips are actually pretty thick in real life. Keep that in mind also. It'll help with more believable eyelids and lips. Keep the mouth area as a loop is a generally good idea - you don't want a lot of spiraling there (or anywhere for that matter).

Places to look for topology/modeling help:

3Dtotal's tutorial section www.3dtotal.com
    Gumroad www.gumroad.com
    Gnomon workshop https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

and other sites with tutorials on modeling

Lastly, look at models and topology you find online or have available and try to see what the loops are doing and why.

• Poser Ambassadors

Another top resource - http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Category:Topology

In fact, the entire Polycount forum & wiki is a goldmine of info. It is based around people who are either working professionally within the games industry or aspire to it, so it has a specific focus but there is plenty of relevant info for just about every aspect of 3D.

A very good book that gives great foundation info on most 3D topics including topology is William Vaughan's Digital Modeling. Jason Osipa's Stop Staring is also worth looking at though it concentrates on faces.

• @caisson Just jumping in to stress the value of Polycount (the website but yes, poly count also).

• Thanks for the response guys. Especially, the polycount website. Still checking it out.

• @caisson Thank you sir, I just bookmarked Polycount. I wasn't familiar with the site before, but it definitely looks like a very good resource.