Anybody using the 3D Mouse SpaceNavigator?

• @cbowen Well at least we can form a support group now. ;-)

• Just to be sure: in the advanced setup did check all channels are enabled (the checkboxes).

Also: for speed you push the sliders to the far right?
    That is something I noted I had to do recently, guess it was after a driver update or Windows update. The response appeared more sluggish than before, and certainly more sluggish than I like it to be.

0_1470601030551_Knipsel.JPG

• Did you check it with other Poser cameras? The rotation won't work on the orthogonal cameras, of course, but perhaps there is an issue with the parameter settings for that particular camera...

• I just tried uninstalling the drivers and installing an earlier version 10.3.0 that I got from the archived drivers section. That version worked perfectly in Poser Pro. Then I downloaded 10.4.3 and installed it (updating). It also worked perfectly in Poser Pro. Finally, I updated to the current driver 10.4.4 just to see if it would still work and it does still work.

This is likely an indication that something is broken in the 10.4.4 installer, likely some file or setting that is not being set. A previous version did set or install that and an upgrade then works for 10.4.4 because the file/setting is still there from the previous version. I don't know if going back to just 10.4.3 would work or if you would have to go back to 10.3.0 like I did to get it work, but this does fix the problem.

• @cbowen Brilliant! Hadn't thought of that. I downgraded to 10-3-0 like you did, and everything started working. Upped to 10.4.3 and still working. If I go to 10.4.4 my config stops working though.
    But 10.4.3 does the trick for me, so all of a sudden I'm OUT of an expensive paperweight but WITH a 3D mouse. Kewl.
    Thanks everyone for all tips n tricks.

Oh, BTW, the last advice 3Cconnexion Techsupport gave was to contact Smithmicro.
    I'll restrain myself from going into a rant, but clueless and useless would be part of that rant.
    I did let them know what a/the working solution was, so hopefully they'll get it fixed in v10-4-5 and LEARN something while doing that.

Thanks all & of course kudo's to @cbowen who just made my day!

• Sorry, I couldn't help myself but 3DConnexion DOES do a survey monkey review of your experiences with their tech support, so just for a chuckle I'll share my parting thoughts to them.

"As you see I'm not impressed with your support. I'm not griping about the fact you didn't find a solution (being downgrading to a previous version of your driver software).
    I'm griping about the fact that the first advice was just boilerplate for something I had already done. So my question apparently was not read.
    And then the second one the advice to contact the manufacturer of the software package it wasn't working in. As Poser is listed on your site as being supported, this should be one of the last steps when everything else had failed.
    At no time did I get the feeling that somebody was really reading my question or seriously contemplating doing some actual work. Or getting curious by the fact that something that's working for 100's or 1000's of other Poser users wouldn't be working with my config.

An experience COULD and SHOULD have been (real life experiences): 'that's strange, we tried it out here, and here it works, what could be the next steps for you to try' etc
    And frankly I think going back to a previous driver version should have been suggested. I've seen a lot of long time Poser users who all indicated that it was an out-of-the box experience, so obviously it's been working for a long time and thus should have worked for any new installation.
    Now I found it on a forum from somebody who was experiencing the same challenge.

I'm taking the trouble sharing this with you so you'll be able to better help others in the future and maybe pep up your support."

• So for both of you there was something funky with the 10.4.4 driver? I'll see if we can get a ticket going at 3DConnexion.

• @nerd3d Yep, both had new installs of Poser11 (although I have previous versions of poser on my system). This was my first time Space Navigator, so I didn't have any previous versions of the drivers on my system. I get the impression that this is the same case for cbowen, although it's not really stated. His/her SN kept on working including 10.4.4, while mine stopped working after 10.4.3.
    Strange, but there you go.

• @nerd3d + all interested
    Well, I'm glad to say that your link to 3DConnexion and/or my feedback on their SurveyMonkey spurred some serious reactions from their side. Several mails and an updated 3DxWare64_v10-4-5_r2417 which works fine with PP11 now.

I'm really happy with this. I'm building a business in NL on helping companies better manage their IT projects and thus achieve huge cost savings (+deadlines and quality). One of the items we check is that stakeholder PERCEPTION accounts for 50% of a project success (or failure) - independent of how good the project is intrinsically. You can extrapolate that to products and services.

The Space navigator is a very good product so I wish them lots of business. Having a underachieving service desk - whatever the reason - drags down that perception, so I'm really glad they stepped up!

• I bought one off Ebay to use in Daz and Blender. While it was brilliant in Blender, in daz it was unusably touchy and couldn't be slowed down enough to be useful. I finally resorted to installing progressively older drivers (ensuring I completely uninstalled all the detritus from the previous version). I believe it was 10.1 (or something?) that did the trick and it now works like a charm. It's strange that each driver performed exactly the same in Blender but they all worked differently in Daz. I've read that programmers have to build support for the device driver into the program.

• @Bobb Hi, I'm not too sure that programmers need to add program specific code; based on this e-mail exchange with 3DConnexion:

"....,
    I apologize for the trouble you have with our newest driver. There was an issue with applications where the driver didn’t have a default configuration; for these applications the wrong protocol was used and therefore only zoom in + out was available. We are tracking this issue with our internal bug number #7224. A fix will be available with the next driver release which is planned for this week.

Would you please be so kind and send me the configuration file that was created with 3DxWare 10.3.0. You can find the name of the file when you hover the mouse cursor over the 3Dconnexion icon in the system tray and wait for the little yellow popup information. It shows the connected 3Dconnexion device(s) and the file name. Please go to the folder “C:\Users<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg” and search for the file (extension .xml). Please send that file to me. Many thanks.

Best regards, ....
    "

If you go to that directory you see several .xml files that apparently hold config/init-info for the 3DConnex drivers.

What you could try to do is make a backup of DAZStudio.xml in your working situation, upgrade to the latest drivers and then put your original working .xml back in place and see what happens.

Edit: reading the release notes that go with the driver-software it does seem like they have program-specific code built into their driver software...

• Thanks BobM, that's interesting.
    I've copied the instructions but probably won't screw with it. I find that this older driver not only works perfectly for me but doesn't have the stack of utilities(?) running in the background that the latest one had. The new driver showed a bunch of entries in Process Explorer while the older one only shows two.
    Thanks again.

• @Bobb So which driver version are you exactly using right now? Could you look it up?
    I'm considering downgrading as well, because the mouse is super sensitive - just like your experience.

• Just following up here is the 10.4.5 working in Poser? I gave up on navigator or DS long ago.

• @nerd3d Yes, the 10.4.5 works in Poser but like Bobb said, it's ultra sensitive (at least in Daz, but my experience with Poser is the same). So if downgrading could make it a little less sensitive that would be great.

Why did you give up on the navigator?

• Ok...the winner is 3.16.3 R1447
    That's not as far back as I'd thought but it makes a massive difference. I hope this works for you.
    Bob

• I gave up the Navigator in DS. It's slightly more important than oxygen in Poser and Max.

If you set the sensitivity sliders all the way down can you get it to behave in Poser?

• @Bobb Thanks Bob! Bob

• @nerd3d Yeah, duhhhh for not trying it out. It makes a big difference and is quite doable now. Thx!

• Poser Ambassadors

I just installed the 10.4.5 driver on Urania, the workstation in my kitchen diner booth. The Space Navigator works in Poser 11 Pro and modo, but Silo 2.3.1 doesn't respond. So, does Silo simply not have coding to look for a 3D mouse? Or has anyone gotten it to work with Silo?