Anybody using the 3D Mouse SpaceNavigator?

• Poser Ambassadors

Thank you, WandW. I'm disappointed to not have Silo support, but at least now I know that it isn't some error on my part.

• You might look at this software, http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/
    It's an alternative device driver for 3D mice that's under development.

• @Bobb BTW I downgraded to your version as well, and though I don't think it makes a great difference after setting everything to minimum as Nerd3D suggested, it feels a little bit more manageable. Thanks for the tip.

• After a decade away from Poser & TurboCAD, I finally put new CAD Tower together, got both graphics cards playing nicely, installed Win'10, spread desktop across three wide screens, loaded P11Pro...
    Oops, 'Culture Shock' time. P11Pro still looks a bit like my beloved P4 with its 'Big RAM' patch, but so many new side-bars...

I'm here because our house-move turned up the 'Space Navigator' I'd thought long-lost. This time around, Poser supports it. Well, it recognises it. SWOOSH !! If you saw an office fly by with a robot clinging to the door-frame, that was me trying to rotate, tilt and zoom the scene...

Default settings for Navigator as a desktop 'mouse' are beyond hyper-sensitive within Poser, and I'm still hunting how to customise it for the program. Turning the sensitivity right down works, of course, of course. I'll just need to tweak it iteratively. Luckily, I've recently found a good wired 'Logitech-clone' trackball, so I use that when working outside Poser...

A major annoyance is you must remember to set a Poser view 'dot' as 'back-trail' before doing stuff or, um, glowing Navigator is patted by cat(s), as there doesn't seem to be a 'restore default view(s)' option...

Early days yet; I'll report my findings and work-arounds.

• @nik_2213 said in Anybody using the 3D Mouse SpaceNavigator?:

A major annoyance is you must remember to set a Poser view 'dot' as 'back-trail' before doing stuff or, um, glowing Navigator is patted by cat(s), as there doesn't seem to be a 'restore default view(s)' option...

If you have Undo enabled on the camera in question, a couple of Ctrl-Z's should get you back to where you were. Also Edit>Restore>Camera will get you to the default view...

• The SpaceNavigator has 2 buttons that can be programmed specific for the active aplication through the properties editor.
    1 - open Poser
    2 - start the 3dConnexion properties editor
    3 - click 'buttons' button
    4 - under left button (or right button) press Ctrl+Shift+H keys to enter the Poser Speed key for 'restore camera'.

• @nik_2213 Oehh, a track-ball! That's a good idea, and I think I have one lying around somewhere.
    SpaceNavigator works fine BTW - with all settings dialled down to minimum, but somehow I never got the hang of it. And once you're off orbit, no way to get back.
    However a couple of CTL-Z's or the CTL-SHFT-H is an interesting option I'll try out.

• @BobM said in Anybody using the 3D Mouse SpaceNavigator?:

@nik_2213 Oehh, a track-ball! That's a good idea, and I think I have one lying around somewhere.
    SpaceNavigator works fine BTW - with all settings dialled down to minimum, but somehow I never got the hang of it. And once you're off orbit, no way to get back.
    However a couple of CTL-Z's or the CTL-SHFT-H is an interesting option I'll try out.

It's a lot more controllable if you turn on Dominant Axis mode in the 3DConnexion software. The Trainer in the software is also very helpful in getting the hang of using it...

• @wandw OK, thx Wandw for your tip. I'm going to reset myself and start fresh again with SN and see if I can learn using it. Most here on the forum are very enthusiastic about it so it's me. And THAT is something I can change or at least try...

• Hello, I Michael Johnson like console gaming. I used only Razer mouses because I like it's size, shape, body, it's functionality, it's design everything. It is an amazing mouse.

• @michaeljohnson Yeah, a really good mouse is a joy but, especially for CAD, a wired trackball gives you an 'infinite' mouse-mat. Essential for three wide screens...
    I've had to buy a wired Logitech track-ball clone for my CAD Tower because Logitech's only model had shrunk and, now wireless, has a slight, but exasperating latency that varies with battery condition.
    {Shakes head...}
    FWIW, I use a 'thumb mouse' mini-trackball (Left handed !!) on my Linx 10/10 Win'10 tablet as the small touch-pad is, um, a tad quirky....