Windows 10 update + Poser Pro 2012 = crash?

• After installing the new update for Windows 10, I found that I am now unable to load my copy of Poser Pro 2012 SR3. I've tried to reinstall and that has not helped, either. Did this update basically kill the program? I know it had worked before the update, and now I feel like I'm sitting on a wasted investment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Poser Ambassadors

Basically, Windows 10, version 1607 broke one of my PC's completely.
    Crash after crash some 10 to 20 seconds after booting.
    Reverting to older Windows version seems the only option so far.

• @Daymond42

One of the causes that can make Poser crash is the presence of invalid settings in its UI configuration file.
    Open the file explorer and jump to "%APPDATA%\Poser Pro" without the quotes.
    You will find a folder with the Poser's major version
    You may rename one of the "Poser UI*.xml" files to see if it helps, or even rename the whole folder and reinstall from scratch Poser. Then, you may recopy in the new folder your old settings, one by one to check.

• My PC isn't crashing after booting, unlike Vilters. Mine seems to be working just fine except with Poser Pro 2012 and now I've found Photoshop CS6 crashes upon startup as well. This has pretty much halted my ability to be productive on this computer, and apparently my PC never allowed restore points in Windows 10, so I don't even have a point to roll back to. It looks like I'm 100% hosed.

• @Daymond42

Do you find anything interesting, related to these crashes, in the event viewer? Such as a problem with one of Micro$oft's .NET runtime libraries?

• @Y-Phil This is what I got from the Event View's "General" tab. Does this mean anything to you?

Fault bucket 120525439488, type 4
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: PoserPro.exe
    P2: 9.0.3.26149
    P3: 528ddfd6
    P4: StackHash_5a9e
    P5: 10.0.10586.306
    P6: 571af2eb
    P7: c0000374
    P8: PCH_47_FROM_ntdll+0x00000000000A5C34
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\daymo\AppData\Local\Temp\WER33B7.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_PoserPro.exe_ba8291561780b54c3235d51d27fd7beadc7ee4_ba2dcc2b_2f2843a6

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: bc2cf4b3-a9ca-4d8a-9ccb-fc60cff1c604
    Report Status: 0
    Hashed bucket: 7d267c103086925e3fe2da89621d011a

• @Daymond42

Unfortunately no. I was hoping to find something else such as reference to a .NET thing.
    The only thing I can say that if your PC is up-to-date, you will have to contact the support.
    Really sorry...

• What I just found to be interesting is that Photoshop -and- Poser are both crashing due to some file called NTDLL.DLL
    Upon further research, it seems that this is related to my nVidia video card, so I'm getting a little closer to figuring out what the possible root cause is. I -did- try reinstalling my video card drivers, but I'm having the same issue.
    However, rebooting Windows 10 into Safe Mode and trying Photoshop & Poser Pro did work, albeit in a horribly smaller screen resolution. Definitely seems to be a driver issue, and likely -not- just limited to Poser and Photoshop, which gives me more hope that the issue will be fixed eventually, and not left by the wayside.

Now I just need patience...... something I'm not made of.

• @Daymond42

The problem is related to NVidia? Noooo, totally impossible (just joking)
    Even with the latest driver, it still crashes? and with a preceding (stable) version?

• Yeah, I ran the GeForce Experience tool to make sure that I've got the latest driver, and no avail.

I know nVidia doesn't have the best track record at times, but I actually had way better luck with them than I did with the Radeon cards.. One of these days, I need a new video card, though, since I'm still pulling a GeForce GTX 460. It's easily the main bottleneck in my computer's performance.. but I know it's not really the root cause of this crashing issue, since even the newer cards use the same drivers.

• @Daymond42

Ha ha... Welcome to the club: I was a Radeon user as well. I think that I will never return back to ATI. I'm too happy with my 980ti, despite its cost.
    But if I had to change my card, I would take a gtx1060, we can find it for less than 320€ in my country.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Poser Team

This post is deleted!

• So -anyway-, back to the main topic at hand, my intent is to raise awareness to this issue and let other people chime in (respectfully) on how to alleviate the issue, if there are indeed workarounds to it.

• Poser Team

As far as workarounds for the update, it depends what version of Windows 10 you have.

Enterprise thru Pro, you can turn on defer updates and delay it. Enterprise can even turn off updates completely.

Home is sort of stuck with the update based on who MS decides to give it too first.

I have read that there are issues with rolling back the update, and it is rather convoluted how you have to do it.
    Instructions are here on how to go about removing it. Be warned, this doesnt always work as planned either from what others have said.

If you have not received the update yet, you could turn off the wuauserv service and stop it from even checking for updates for a while. If that service keeps restarting, there are others you can disable that will stop it as well.

Like any huge update, there always seems to be issues. Most will be fixed, others may be by design.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.