Transitioning out of a walk

• I'm having an awful time transitioning from the end of a walk animation and into a pose.
    Lets say my walk is 150 frames. I'll add 30 frames, select the last frame, 180, select a pose.
    Then when I run the animation the transition from the last step in the walk to the final pose ends being a twisted contortionist mess.
    I cannot figure out what to do.

Also, how would I use the end of the scene of my animation as the beginning of a new scene?
    I can see that as being an applicable work around and I'm sure I need to know how to do that anyways else I'll have one large file for rendering.

Thanks,

I'm using Poser 11.0.4.32600
    Additional Figures > Skeletons > Ryan_Skeleton

• @JoeBowler300 I hope you've sorted your problem out by now, but I've only just seen this post.

The first thing that occurs to me to check is whether Inverse Kinematics (IK) on the legs of your figure is turned on, and to turn it off.
    I assume you're using the walk designer, which will not refer to the separate IK pose settings (IK on the legs sets the x, y and z translations of the feet), but IK will be calculated and influence the subsequent joint rotations for every frame between the walk and the last-frame, applied pose. If the pose was created with IK off, the feet translations will all be zero and the interpolated frames will transition those foot translations from the last walk frame to the standing? pose. Without intervening joint rotation keyframes on the legs, there is no control of how foot translation will bend the legs.

Whether you mean the last frame of the walk or the standing pose, to start a new scene with that pose you should save it to the library. However, assuming that IK was your initial problem, my experience has shown me that it's always better to turn off IK before saving poses to the library, as that will zero the foot translations. Those non-zero translations are ignored by Poser when IK is turned off, but can cause a problem if you apply a pose with IK turned on, as the pose may not look the way you expect it to. (At least that's my memory of what happens when I last did that by accident, several versions of Poser ago)

• @JoeBowler300 Or you might have "Spline Curve" turned on in the animations palette, which is the default. Spline averages any changes you make over the entire animation. It messes me up all the time when I'm doing the following:

1. Set up an animation.
    2. Run it and it looks perfect.
    3. Add additional frames on the end to extend the animation.
    4. Run the animation again, and now early parts are all messed up.

That is because Spline went back and averaged the various positions of things over the entire animation, instead of taking the key frame as a new starting point.

I am probably doing a horrible job of explaining this, but here is basically what I'm talking about:

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?99960-Poser-10-keyframe-help

This may help as well:

http://www.cornucopia3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2486&sid=45c48d4f6a98f28e15a7c647af806c9e

• Given that everything already has a keyframe at frame 1, it may be worth considering setting all those keyframes to constant interpolation after you've completed your first animation segment. Then, at the last frame of the segment, you can set keyframes for everything and set that to spline interpolation and add a spline break, knowing that parameters with no keyframes throughout the animation will remain constant. The spline break then protects that segment from interference by subsequent additions. After that, you can go back to the first frame and change them all back to spline. Parameters with only a first and last, spline-broken keyframe of the same value will behave as though constant interpolation were being used.

Spline breaks will affect the slope of spline curves immediately prior to them, so my practice has been to add a spline keyframe immediately before the last keyframe, before adding the final spline-break, so the interpolation curve maintains its original shape.

• @anomalaus I want to make sure I understand your suggestion. Let's say we have an animation that's 100 frames long, and we want to add another 30 frames. Are you saying that you add a key frame and a spline break at both frame 99 and frame 100 before adding the additional 30 frames?

• While you could add the extra frames first it is probably a good idea to add the key frame at frame 99 and then put in the spline break at 100. Although another way to do it is to add a key frame to frame 100 put in your extra frames and then do a copy of frame 100 and paste it to 101. That will put in the damper on the spline effect and also keep all the movements you have up to frame 100. It really depends on how wild your movements are up to the last frame. Like I posted at RDNA as linked to above the spline function takes any 3 points and tries to put a sine wave through them. So after it makes the first adjustment it finds other points along adjunct 3 points and moves them etc. causing a ripple effect that dies off fairly quickly. of course this is if you want to add extra frames to an existing scene.

On the other hand if you want to create a new scene picking up where the last scene ended all you have to do is create a key frame on the last frame save the frame (or copy) and paste it to the first frame and then delete frames 2 to the end and start your new scene from that point. When you get ready to edit them all together just remember to cut off the last frame or the first frame of the adjoining clips or you will end up with a slight stutter as the two frames are identical. May not be noticeable but why take the change.

• @mr_phoenyxx almost. A non-breaking spline keyframe at 99 to preserve the spline curvature and a spline-break keyframe at 100 to prevent any impact from subequent frames.

• @anomalaus Thanks!

@richard60 I have tried that before and run into issues. It is probably something I am doing wrong, but I have had bad luck with copying the last frame to the first frame and then deleting the rest in order to start a new animation. I usually have to save the pose (including translations), delete all frames, and then re-apply the pose to start from where I left off.