Dielectric Shader WIP for download

• I don’t want to discourage you from the work on your shader but believe me it is very very hard to beat the PhysicalSurface node. The roughness modulated fresnel of the PS node alone is hard to top and thats only one of its cool features.

Well for FireFly there is room for optimization like a optional retrace mode for metals as with the current implementation metals are all black in an IDL only lighted scene… but thats another story.

• @nagra_00_ said in Dielectric Shader WIP for download:

I don’t want to discourage you from the work on your shader but believe me it is very very hard to beat the PhysicalSurface node. The roughness modulated fresnel of the PS node alone is hard to top and thats only one of its cool features.

Well for FireFly there is room for optimization like a optional retrace mode for metals as with the current implementation metals are all black in an IDL only lighted scene… but thats another story.

My shader does have a roughness modulated Fresnel.

Have you tried unchecking "Reflection_Lite_Mult" and "Reflection_Kd_Mult" in the Poser root node on reflective materials? I never have a problem with reflective materials and IDL lit scenes in Firefly.

• @ghostship said in Dielectric Shader WIP for download:

@nagra_00_ said in Dielectric Shader WIP for download:

I don’t want to discourage you from the work on your shader but believe me it is very very hard to beat the PhysicalSurface node. The roughness modulated fresnel of the PS node alone is hard to top and thats only one of its cool features.

My shader does have a roughness modulated Fresnel.

I just downloaded your shader and indeed it has, cool :-)

Have you tried unchecking "Reflection_Lite_Mult" and "Reflection_Kd_Mult" in the Poser root node on reflective materials? I never have a problem with reflective materials and IDL lit scenes in Firefly.

No, no, i was talking about using the PhysicalSurface node with PBR mats. In FireFly the PS does not use any ray reflection just specular which is usually Ok as it keeps render times low. Draw back is that with IDL only lightning metals are black as FireFly has no ISL.

Meanwhile i played a little with the PhysicalSurface node and SSS. First time i did that and from my test render i can not recommend PS for SSS skin because it generates hard surfaces. Means the surface has hard shadows and that makes no sense on a soft SSS material. I have attached a pic that shows the effect. On the left i used a updated version of my SSS shader that i posted some time ago on RDNA.

0_1471102415394_PS_SSS.jpg

• I don't see that problem with the Cycles root but it doesn't render in Firefly.
    0_1471106022110_hand shadows.jpg

• @ghostship said in Dielectric Shader WIP for download:

I don't see that problem with the Cycles root but it doesn't render in Firefly.

I had noticed this hard shadow phenomena on SSS surfaces when i played with my SSS shader months ago… hope i recall it correctly, the problem happened as soon as the output of a SSS node is mixed with the output of a Diffuse node. No matter of the mixing level. Mix 1 percent diffuse to SSS and shadows become immediately hard ones. Seems the PhysicalSurface node is doing such a mix internal…

• don't bother downloading that latest version. I have to figure out how to invert the transparency value so it works correctly

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship
    FireFly uses a Transparency map.
    SuperFly needs an Opacity map.

See the options here in the upgraded PhysicalSurface screengrab. => The option to set the TransparencyMode

0_1471168243562_Opacity.jpg

And if required ? With a Math_Functions node you can "Invert" a texture from one to the other.

Best regards, Tony

• @vilters Ok I'll do something with it that makes sense then. Thanks Vilters!

• Mouth shaders coming along. pretty much the same as the skin with a couple of tweaks. Top has infinite light pointing straight in, bottom is only indirect from sphere.

0_1471231834099_Mouth.jpg