Poser Animation

• I am struggling with the Animation part in Poser. I'm beginning to think that this isn't really the tool for animation.
    I don't think I'm really doing anything complex. I'm using the built in characters for grief sakes.
    I've got 4 characters each in their own animation layer. 484 frames long. Cut print! All is good.

Now I want to introduce 2 props. I add one to the right hand and one to the left hand, make the hands of the character the parent of the object and inherit bends. Sounds easy enough but what happens?

The objects are in ALL the frames from frame 1. ??? That makes absolutely no sense to me!!! Why is it showing up in the beginning? (And yes, I added 30 more frames and a new pose) So the object should start in frame 484. ALSO,,,, one of the objects is flying all over the screen totally ignoring that it's attached to the right hand. Why!? Why!? Why!?

It'd would be helpful if I could stitch the mini movies together (I even thought the Poser instruction booklet called them scenes) and make one movie/animation.

All I can find on youtube is the basic animation or some advancement but still, it's just one take, one movie, one shot.

Please help! Thank you in advance!

• Poser Ambassadors

@JoeBowler300
    Set the objects visibility to Off (properties) and it animatable - you do this by clicking on the little key icon next to the visibility prop. If it is highlighted, it is animatable.
    Now set the visibility back to On where you want the object to appear

See attached picture
    0_1471175645153_animvis.jpg

• Thank you wimvdb that helped! I see it takes a combination of the two to make it work like that, toggle just one and it will do the unexpected, very frustrating.

Now, does anybody know how to add scenes (animation shorts) together?

• Poser Ambassadors

@JoeBowler300 said in Poser Animation:

Thank you wimvdb that helped! I see it takes a combination of the two to make it work like that, toggle just one and it will do the unexpected, very frustrating.

Now, does anybody know how to add scenes (animation shorts) together?

Yes, the combination of the two is what makes it work. You can turn on/off material settings as well - same method - click key and keyframe the material

The normal procedure is to create scenes - short animation sections and add them together in a movie editor. You have a choice of output in a video (in different formats) or on an image sequence. In the movie editor just add them to the timeframe.
    Putting an entire animation in one scene file will be complicated and prone to errors.

• @wimvdb Thanks! Now we're making progress! I'm okay with putting them together in a 3rd party editor however the problem is,,,
    How do I pick up where I left off? I'll need the last frame of the first scene to start the second scene. It'd be near impossible to recreate the scene with the characters and props in the exact same position.

Thanks, you've been very helpful.

• @JoeBowler300

maybe you can delete all frames except the last one and start from there?

• Poser Ambassadors

@wimvdb Thanks! Now we're making progress! I'm okay with putting them together in a 3rd party editor however the problem is,,,
    How do I pick up where I left off? I'll need the last frame of the first scene to start the second scene. It'd be near impossible to recreate the scene with the characters and props in the exact same position.

Thanks, you've been very helpful.

It depends. If you are using conforming clothing and conforming hair or prop hair, it is easy.
    Save your scene first before making any changes, so you keep what you have.
    Then go to the animation palette. In the animation palette, select the entire last column. Then drag the column to the first frame. Now delete all frames after frame 1 in the animation palette (drag a square around it and press delete). Now you have a fresh scene where the first frame matches the last one of the previous scene.

If you have dynamic clothes or hair, things get a a little bit more complicated. Dynamic clothes and hair always go from zero pose (T pose) to the pose where you want your animation to start. Let's assume this is frame 30 (it depends on the start pose and the clothing, more complex or longer distance to move). This frame 1-30 you want to keep. So do the above procedure, but move to frame 30 instead of frame 1. And delete after frame 30. Now make your animation from frame 30 and then sim again to make the dynamic cloth fit to the animation.

Animation is a time consuming process and you can make mistakes very easily. So save often and break into smaller pieces. A movie usually has some 5 seconds of the same camera angle. Use that to break up your animation.

There are many good movie editors and it is easy to import an image sequence in them (they will act as a movie when imported). Advantage of using image sequences is that you define the quality and frame rate in the movie editor AND you can stop the rendering at any time and keep the already rendered images (in case of crashes, time restraints or user errors)

I hope this helps in your efforts. It is very good to see people do animations....

• @ghostship How do I do that? Don't think I haven't thought of that. Your logic is sound! I only know how to delete from frame x to the end.

• @JoeBowler300 said in Poser Animation:

@ghostship How do I do that? Don't think I haven't thought of that. Your logic is sound! I only know how to delete from frame x to the end.

I would do it as wimvdb has said. I have only dabbled with animation so far. It was just a guess on my part.

• @ghostship Oh WOW I glossed over that answer, missed it entirely.

• @wimvdb TYVM! I will give this a try!

• @wimvdb Great I got it to work! Sounds easy yes but I still had some struggles. At first it wouldn't work, then when I clicked on "Current Layer Only" it appeared to work. As I cycled through the other animation layers (as suggested in the manual and tutorials) they were failing; only the Base Layer appeared to work correctly. So of course I deleted the other animation layers and got my first frame for the 2nd scene and deleted all the rest. Looks like this will work! Thanks for getting me past this struggle!

Next little problem you can help me with is Prop & Pose separation. I'm unsure if the hair is dynamic or not (thought it was). I have Jame's Hair on Ryan_Skeleton's head. Made his head the Parent to the hair and selected inherent all bends of the parent. Appears to work as advertised, move the head, the hair moves with it. Really looks like the hair is on the head. The attachment of props I think is a very strong feature. I add 30 frames, apply a different pose and bam, the hair is off the head. It's at different X, Y and Z dimensions. Actually moves the same as if it's attached to the head. The prop is "offset" would be the proper terminology.

Regards,

• Poser Ambassadors

Next little problem you can help me with is Prop & Pose separation. I'm unsure if the hair is dynamic or not (thought it was). I have Jame's Hair on Ryan_Skeleton's head. Made his head the Parent to the hair and selected inherent all bends of the parent. Appears to work as advertised, move the head, the hair moves with it. Really looks like the hair is on the head. The attachment of props I think is a very strong feature. I add 30 frames, apply a different pose and bam, the hair is off the head. It's at different X, Y and Z dimensions. Actually moves the same as if it's attached to the head. The prop is "offset" would be the proper terminology.

Regards,

It is a bit difficult to say what caused that problem of the offset of the hair.

First a little bit of explanation: There are 4 types of hair - Conforming (usually found in the Figures library), smart Prop Hair (usually found in the Hair library, Dynamic Hair (Hair library) and static prop hair.

• Conforming hair is like a figure's cloth, it has multiple body parts and is often used for long hair.
    • Smart Prop Hair is a single prop which is automatically attached to the head.
    • Dynamic Hair is like smart prop hair, but has multiple parts. The cap is automatically parented to the head and the other parts are parented to the cap.
    • Prop hair is found in the Props library. It often does not parent automatically to the head, you have to do that manually. It is often used for items like ponytails which are added to other hair props.

So normally you do not need to parent the hair to the figures head because it is done automatically.

The other thing you have to think of is that hairs are designed for a particular figure. Each figure can have a different shape or scale, so a hair designed for James will not automatically fit Ryan. You may have to scale and translate to get it to fit properly.

Now to your problem. It looks like you used a dynamic hair prop which was designed for James and fitted it to Ryan (skeleton). You used scale and translate to fit it. You would need to do that with the JamesFollicleSurface prop. Now it should follow the head in the animation.
    If you apply a pose, it is possible that it contained settings which reset the hair prop values. It should not, but it sometimes happens. Not sure of that is the case here.
    What you can do is to Lock the hair (in this case JamesFollicleSurface ). To do that, select the hair and select Object!Lock Object from the menu. This will make sure that the prop stays in place even when you use another pose.

Some other tips.

Use the library to save your posed figure with cloth and hair attached. Now you can easily load it into a new scene

Take some time and learn the keyboard shortcuts. In your users/public/documents/Poser 11 Content/Documentation folder you can find the Poser 11 Quick Reference Card. Print it out and you have a very helpful overview of the shortcuts. Especially with animation it will save you considerable time savings

• @wimvdb Thank you! Correct, I would be using the Dynamic type hair. This still didn't exactly work for me. I added JamesFollicleSurface to the Head, scaled and translated it to make it fit. The parent for JamesFollicleSurface was Ryan's Head. I made JamesFollicleSurface the parent for James hair. Set Pose, fail, same problem. It'd go offset.

Looks like I did finally get it to work after struggling around with it for a bit. If I were to select the character under the "Preview" and "Render" tabs and click the check mark (apply to scene) on the dynamic hair prop it would fail as described above. If I were to drag the dynamic hair prop to Ryan's head it'd work.... until.... my next and new problem now.

I would scale my character down in size to create perspective, the character would scale but they dynamic hair prop wouldn't. So frustrating! Easy enough, I'll just scale the dynamic hair too. For whatever reason it wouldn't scale through the 1 second animation. I sized it up on both starting and ending frame and it would just be one size or the other throughout the entire animation. Messed with toggling the animation key on and off like before. Long story short, I found the hair was not a child to the head but rather to the universe. After setting the hair's parent to the head it now scales correctly throughout the animation. Though not perfect, the percentages on the scaling got all messed up. It's like a scale within a scale. Good enough for now, I'll figure it out in the next scene where I need to do this.

I think this is the majority of my problems and sure hope I can make through the rest. Next up will be the Talk Designer and matching words with mouth movement. Have not messed with that feature yet. I figure it doesn't need to be that accurate since there's no lips on a skeleton.

Thank you for all your time and help with my problems!

• @JoeBowler300 It can be used for animations. Here's the latest episode of my animation series.

• @SPARTAN00J Well Done Spartan! The gunlight ray fx were impressive. Not sure how you did that, but it was cool. Excellent animation and timing. There is a lot from this.

My crude attempt at Star Wars action scene:

Far Warz Rancor Roundup Revenge

• @dreamcutter Your link played the wrong video, but I found you video by name anyway. And thanks for the compliment. I render the animation with octane render to get that lens flare on the light.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.