Fibermesh hair, how to save it?

• And for now something completely different....

I have been with Zbrush fibermesh trying to make a hair prop.
    Well so far everything went well, I exported V4 to zbrush with GoZ, made some hair with the fibermesh tools and imported the hair with GoZ in Poser (works sublime!)
    In Poser I parented it to the head and added a nice hairshader, I made not so long ago, and rendered it
    0_1471984887148_Fiberhair.jpg

Obviously I'm not a barber, but the hair looks real (on a bad hairday)

The problem is that I wanted to save the hairprop in my library, but poser doesn't saves the geometry.
    I have tried this several times but it just won't work.
    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Bopper.

• Poser Ambassadors

Does it save it as a pp2/pz2?
    If so, open the file in a text editor and replace the two "prop" listings with "hairProp" instead and save the changes.

• I've saved as a *.hr2 file and as a *.pp2 file, but in both cases the created file is only 16kb big, and when I load it I get and empty prop.

When I save the scene as a *pz3 file, and I reload it, the geometry has disappeared so that isn't an option either.
    Could the geometry possibly be to big?

• Poser Ambassadors

Haven't used this for a long while so could be wrong, but I thought that when using GoZ on fibremesh Poser imports it as strand hair (i.e. same as dynamic hair but cannot be edited/simulated). So no geometry is imported. You could export the fibremesh as an OBJ, but of course depending on your settings that could be a lot of polygons ;)

• That's right it imports as strand hair, but I can't save it as an *.hr2 file. All I get is an empty file.
    I also tried as a prop file, but the quality is worse than with strand hair.

• Maybe try growing the hair on a prop and saving it with the prop. Or delete everything else (including lights and cameras and saving as a scene file. You can always move it to your hair folder.

• That's also what I had in mind, but it will have to wait till the evening. I've got real business to do.

• Would exporting as obj from ZBrush and importing into Poser work?

• That works, but the renderresults are worse than with an imported hairprop.

• Well this is really frustrating, I made a skullcap in Zbrush, And imported that in poser as a prop, I made fibermesh hair in zbrush and imported that in poser as a hair prop. I added a material and rendered it and it looked rather nice. I saved the skullcap prop in the hair library together with the fibermesh hairprop. I reloaded it and zipp, nada, nothing, just the skullcap, the fibers are just gone.

The posermanual describes exactly how to make Fibermesh hair in Zbrush and how to import it poser, except how to save it.

In dutch we have a saying: making someone happy with a dead sparrow, well this how I feel now.

One strange thing happens: the hairgroup still exists when you have reloaded it, only the geometry has disappeared, I can still make new hairs grow in the hairroom, but now it's poser based hair and not Zbrush hair

• Poser Ambassadors

I've made several ZB hairs that works in poser. Like you said the GoZ fibermesh doesn't work after saved to the Lib. I always have to export it as an obj from ZB and then import that one to poser and save as a parented Prop file.

• It's really a pity you can't the fibermesh hair as an hairprop (*.hr2), because allthough you can't edit it in the hairroom, you can change the hair population and the thickness of the hair The geometry of the hairprop is completely different than a normal prop. You can use a common hairshader for it which looks much nicer , but with a prop you can't.
    I see no other possibility than reloading it from ZBrush.every time I want to use it.
    And that makes it useless for distribution.
    It would nice it if in a newer update it would possible to save it.
    But I wonder if there will be one after SR5.

• Poser Ambassadors

True the render is much better when sending it through goz. Big different really.
    It shouldn't be that hard for SM to fix this so it would be recognized as dynamic hair so it could be treated just the same as the poser hair since it's curves. If this would be doable then we would have some really kick ass hairs for people. :)

• @bopperthijs said in Fibermesh hair, how to save it?:

It's really a pity you can't the fibermesh hair as an hairprop (*.hr2), because allthough you can't edit it in the hairroom, you can change the hair population and the thickness of the hair The geometry of the hairprop is completely different than a normal prop. You can use a common hairshader for it which looks much nicer , but with a prop you can't.
    I see no other possibility than reloading it from ZBrush.every time I want to use it.
    And that makes it useless for distribution.
    It would nice it if in a newer update it would possible to save it.
    But I wonder if there will be one after SR5.

I have seen python scripts that will generate/populate Poser's dynamic hair by material zone, which allows one to generate dynamic hair on anything and to create redistributable scripts or, perhaps with some work, a loader script that will load "definition" inputs for a desired hairstyle.

There are, I believe, certain styling limitations. (Maybe - I don't know what inputs are available for a python script to use, there.) The script I'm thinking of was to generate hair with the sort of "fuzzy" effect found on fur coats and the like. It could also be used for animals, teddy-bears, anything that needed a hair population with somewhat random styling. (I think they used some noise-node like python bits for that, not sure.)

TLDR - A redistributable python script that will populate a material zone with hair designed around inputs by the user or simply embedded in the script is possible and has been done. So... that's one possible way around that issue, granted it's not the best one.

• Has there been any progress on loading and re-using saved hair growth props in Poser 11?

I just grew some hair on a pair of earmuffs that worked fine in the current scene, but when reloaded from the library, only the guide hairs were visible, despite the show populated flag being set, and no amount of dial tweaking, short of deleting, regrowing and reconfiguring the hair would persuade Poser to render anything but the guide hairs.

Is this another one of the subsumed, third party legacy features that must remain frozen in partial-functionality, because the developer contracts have expired and the code base can't be updated?

• @anomalaus Well, I seem to have solved my own problem without knowing exactly why the solution works and my original attempt doesn't. Seems I just needed to directly include the growth group's parent mesh in the hair prop file directly, rather than using a readScript to load it from an external .obj file. Weird.

• How did you do that?

• @bantha I have a modular system for loading figures complete with props and conforming clothing, which primarily makes use of the readScript command in Poser files, plus a couple of python scripts which select a specified figure in the scene, to keep pose application synchronised to the figure the pose is intended for. Part of the modularisation is cutting, for example, a .pp2 prop file into it's object definition (where the obj files are), actor definitions (all the actors and their channels, with material definitions extracted via readScript, again), and lastly, the document level actor list to update the scene with. In most cases, Poser is happy to just save the location of an existing .obj file back to the .pp2 prop file again, but if you ever run the Grouping Tool on the prop, Poser will most likely include the whole of the object definition directly in the .pp2 file. This gets tedious, if you didn't intend to modify the object, but just temporarily define some groups for morphing or weight map restriction, so my practice is to extract the .pp2 object definition (which with minor adjustments like making the statistics lines comments, could just be saved directly as a .obj file) to a .obj file and replace it with a file reference in the .pp2 file, which keeps them small when nothing needs to change.

In the case of the hair growth groups, however, that extraction seemed to break the prop. The contents of the referenced .obj file were identical to the directly included object definition, but Poser seemed to baulk at restoring the populated hair when loaded, giving just the guide hairs, which is what is in the obj file and object definition. Bizarre!

I'd also experimented with replacing the Bullet Physics solver with the Legacy Poser one, after comparison with some very old hair from Kirwyn which did correctly load populated. That didn't seem to make any difference. Anyway, now that I have a version that works, I'm not going to devote any more time to troubleshooting it unless the problem re-occurs.

0_1522803039288_Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 10.50.01 am.png 0_1522803890652_Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 11.03.01 am.png
    The earmuffs I was messing with, and without the fluff, showing the smooth, subdivided prop.

It would be nice if Poser could grow hair on the subdivided mesh, instead of the base mesh, then the hair tips would have a smoother profile, rather than the corners which the original growth group exhibits, but the subdivided prop does not.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.