Preview window materials & render styles

• Greetings everyone,

I'm a fresh Poser 11 user, very satisfied with the software so far,
    I'm playing with it since a couple weeks now and while there are probably a whole lot of things I would like to ask :D,
    after searching around in the user guide, forums and tutorials, these are the questions I need some expert guidance more:

1. I'm using a lot the Sketch Style Render (a feature I totally love!) for an illustration project, but from what I can understand, you can only Sketch-Render exactly what you see in the "preview window", there are no additional calculations (as the ones done by the Firefly engine), what you see in preview is what you can get in sketch?

2. asking above question because I have many issues with materials in the preview window: i.e. I can't see in the preview window some "grass" material applied from the library to a ground plane, while Firefly rendering makes it visible. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

3. is there a way to render "Comic book filtered" views, or if I like what I see in the preview window, I simply export that? The main issue for me is size here: seems like I can't have a preview window bigger than my screen resolution, and for illustrations, bigger render sizes would be appreciable.

4. ... or do users go the long (but of course more customizable and professional) way of making "toony" shaders for their materials, and then render these Cartoon-styled scenes?

Thank you very much for your time!

• Poser Ambassadors

@erwin_sc said in Preview window materials & render styles:

Greetings everyone,

I'm a fresh Poser 11 user, very satisfied with the software so far,
    I'm playing with it since a couple weeks now and while there are probably a whole lot of things I would like to ask :D,
    after searching around in the user guide, forums and tutorials, these are the questions I need some expert guidance more:

1. I'm using a lot the Sketch Style Render (a feature I totally love!) for an illustration project, but from what I can understand, you can only Sketch-Render exactly what you see in the "preview window", there are no additional calculations (as the ones done by the Firefly engine), what you see in preview is what you can get in sketch?

2. asking above question because I have many issues with materials in the preview window: i.e. I can't see in the preview window some "grass" material applied from the library to a ground plane, while Firefly rendering makes it visible. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

3. is there a way to render "Comic book filtered" views, or if I like what I see in the preview window, I simply export that? The main issue for me is size here: seems like I can't have a preview window bigger than my screen resolution, and for illustrations, bigger render sizes would be appreciable.

4. ... or do users go the long (but of course more customizable and professional) way of making "toony" shaders for their materials, and then render these Cartoon-styled scenes?

Thank you very much for your time!

For 3)
    See attached picture. You can set the render window to Sketch, render dimensions and then export the render after it is finished
    0_1472596227779_skrender.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

WIth regards to materials. Advanced shaders will not always show up in Preview. Replace them with more simple ones.

There are different ways to do comics. You can use the toon features of Poser itself, specialized shaders, or use a post work filter (there are quite a few available at the stores).

• Poser Ambassadors

Also : Poser has a "build-in" postwork manager.

It is under => Scipts => Partners=> Shaderworks => PostWork Manager

0_1472597651263_Postwork-manager.jpg
    Here above, I made a "Black and White" Picture of the render.

0_1472597784531_Postwork-manager2.jpg

And here I am Just fooling around with the options.
    Fiddle with the options, and then click "Safe render".
    Best regards, Tony

• Wow, thank you very much both,
    you already gave me something to play with for another evening,
    both the "render in sketch" feature
    and "postwork options"
    are two key functions I completely overlooked.

Awesome, thank you again for your help!

• After trying for some more time, I'm still a bit perplexed on the chance of rendering my missing materials in "sketch style" render.

Unfortunately seems like even quite simple materials don't show up in my preview (but only for "props", while figures textures/materials preview-render just fine).
    i.e. I'm trying among the others with a simple grass: "GRASS 1" material pulled from the "Basic materials / Fantasy shaders" library.
    It is made of a diffuse color with "granite" 3d texture,
    well, in preview mode I can only see the "diffuse" color (a gradient brown),
    and not the granite bicolored texture - is it the same for you?

While seems like I can get "2d image textures" working ok in preview mode, but no bump maps (now I'm guessing figures and their clothing all use 2d image textures, and this is why I can see them fine..)

I've tried pulling all knobs in the preview render settings, but nothing helped.

This is a bit of a problem because sketch render can only pull the image from preview (from what I can tell?), would be awesome if you could apply additional shaders for use with the sketch style render - even if they don't show in preview. As it is now, I'd have to apply 2D image textures for everything.

Post working is of course an interesting solution, but when post-processing the image I can't get the full advantages of "in-scene" sketching, because the sketching algorithm seems to process figures / props / backgrounds separately, giving a much more appreciable result (with more "depth" and separation between figures), while post-working, from what I can tell, can only deal with the final "flattened" output, all the image is treated as a flat canvas.

• Poser Ambassadors

@erwin_sc

Bump maps do not work in preview mode, neither does displacement. You can use normal maps instead which do show up in preview mode. You can create normal maps in programs like Photoshop or other tools. Normal maps are like bump maps and define depth in an image.
    Not all procedurals will work in preview, but many do. Some are calculated are render time by the render engine and not in poser (like actual reflection and refraction).
    Best result for sketch designer seems to be color maps since they provide more details. Most figures and props come with good maps and some with normal maps. Like Pauline in the attached picture.
    There are some presets available which are quite good. Some are here (for sale): http://hivewire3d.com/shop/shop-by-artist/don-albert/poser-sketch-designs-cyber-and-sfx.html

Hope this helps
    0_1472768345012_sketch1.jpg

• Ah, this clears things up, thank you!
    So I think I'll be experimenting with normal maps and color maps tonight (crossing fingers - see below).
    Interesting addon link also, I'll have a closer look to that as well.

Yesterday my testing has been halted by continuative crashes, seems like I can open no more even a secondary backup file of the same scene that was working fine before this crash on another file..?!
    Oddly two saves of the same scene corrupted together???
    Basic scene, and other saves of low complexity scenes still open regularly.

I've searched around and tried this:
    https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982174-solving-weird-issues-with-poser-by-removing-the-preferences

but didn't work, though I only removed the three preferences files,
    will try removing the entire folder this evening...
    and open a new thread desperately looking for help is the issue persists :D