Resizing my image.

• I am very new and am trying to make comics that are 800px square. I do not fill the entire panel because I must move it to another program to insert the text and then back to make sure it is right.
    When I try to resize the canvas to make it 800X800px it cuts off part of the comic so this is useless.
    Does CSP have a crop tool that I can use to just save the drawing and not all of the white part or invisible part and make the file size 800X800? or do I need to go to another program to do that?

• Why not just add text using the CSP text tool?

To resize the canvas go to Edit>Change Image Resolution. Select px as your Unit of measurement and enter 800 in the width and height fields.

• I have Comic Life3 now on my computer that makes the bubbles and everything. All I need to do is put it in and add the test and bubbles. It also has different styles of Text.
    The problem I have when I get back is getting rid of all the outside stuff.
    I still have a lot of empty space if I do it in CSP that needs to be trimmed off without messing up the comic.

• What is the outside stuff you're talking about?

If you're going to text outside of CSP, you'll have to create a canvas in Comic Life that is the same dimensions as the canvas you have in CSP. Export your CSP image as a JPEG and import the image in Comic Life. Text on a layer above your imported JPEG. When you're done, export just the text layer as a PNG file (hide the imported image and background paper so the text balloons and SFX are sitting on a transparent layer). Import that PNG file into your CSP canvas. The text layer will sit on it's own layer and the transparency will stay intact.

• I think in the course of these questions you have helped me find out what is going on. I was going to another program that was resizing my image to a whole page and then when I came back and reopened it the file was very large with only one comic in a part of it. It was also a jpeg so the layers were gone.
    I am going to try to make the text boxes and evereything on CSP. I just need to figure out what I am doing.
    Right now I need to print out the manual.
    Thanks for the help.
    Ken
    Thanks for the help[

• You can find some free fonts at http://blambot.com/ (dialogue, SFX, and display).

There is a balloon tool in CSP that will create balloons for you or you can use the Balloons found in the Materials folder. If you use the balloons in the Material folder, add the text to you canvas first then drag and drop the balloon directly onto the text, the balloon resizes to the width of the text box but you will have to make the balloon more round (the height won't resize automatically). To do that click the balloon with the Object tool and hold Alt while dragging the balloon's handle.

• @garlam thanks again

• @KenC Your process sounds a lot like mine. A few tricks to keep in mind:

When lettering and exporting artwork, like Garlam implied, keep the resolution/size consistent, or make one an even multiple of the other. Like I do my artwork in CSP at 600 DPI and Comic life lettering at 300 DPI, so I just reduce (via the metrics tab in Comic Life) the imported art from CSP 50% and it fits.

Make sure that your CSP file is a multiple of what you eventually want it to be. So for an image of 800 pixels, I'd make the CSP file 1600 pixels -- so it would reduce the art 50%, much like how comics are drawn on 11x17 paper and reduced around 64-65% to fit on comic books. I find that reducing smooths out the artwork a bit and just looks nicer. YMMV.

IMHO Clip Studio Paint is unsuited for Comic Lettering for the following:

No spell check, no ability to set styles, unstable and slow text handling if there's a lot of text -- and there's hacks/trick to do so -- researching it can take a while, Text in CSP is geared for Asian languages - western language is treated like an after though, word wrap doesn't recognize spaces -- so the word "wraps" in the middle of words without regard to hyphenation or spaces and CSP doesn't utilize any features from OpenType fonts (even though OT has been around for a decade or so...). Here's a comparison I did for my Manga Studio book:

0_1473178780072_opentype_MS-CL.png

And it's still the same with the current version of CSP.

Here's a trick to do in Comic Life that may make things easier:

In Comic Life most everything can be a style. So click on an empty part of the page and you'll see the various page styles. In the Graphic Tab of the palettes, where you can set "Color" you'll notice an Opacity slider. Slide that puppy all the way to zero. You'll notice that in the styles area, there's a white rectangle icon for Page styles has a little pencil on it. That means a change had been made. Click and hold on the checkmark in the circle icon on the lower right of the Page icon. Choose New style from the pop-up menu. Scroll down (if you need to) until you see the icon with the checkmark on it. Right click again on the checkmark and choose Rename from the menu. Rename the style "A transparent page" and when you click OK, notice how the new icon bops up to the top of the list. Comic life orders all styles alphabetically. Now with the Page being transparent, you can export it as a PNG and then import it into CSP and CSP will respect the transparency.

Since you're using imported from CSP art in CL, click on the graphic. Look at the styles. It changed to show that you're setting styles for images/photos. Go back to the Graphic Palette (not the IMAGE palette!) and at the very bottom of the palette you'll see an other slider for Opacity. This controls opacity for the entire graphic and not just the fill color like we did earlier. Set the opacity to zero and see your art vanish. Save the changes to the image style like how you did for the Page, call this style "A transparent Image"

Now you can switch between opaque (the defaults) and transparent (our new styles) for the page and the art. When you export from Comic Life set these two settings to the Transparent style, export as a TIFF or PNG (as they are good quality exports and has transparency). Give the exported file a meaningful name like "my comic strip" Lettering only or some such.

Now you can import the lettering from Comic Life, as an image file with transparency, into CSP.

Back in Comic Life, if you create an new document and make the changes I outlined above, and set up your own styles for captions, dialog, etc you can then save the Comic Life document as a Template, so all the transparent styles are ready to be used in a new blank document.

For me, I have found that since I stopped using Manga Studio/Clip Studio Paint to letter my comics and graphic novels, my stress has lowered and my enjoyment of creating with CSP has increased a whole lot. I'm currently using Affinity Studio for comic lettering, and in the upcoming update there's gonna be styles for text and graphics.

TL:DR -- Clip Studio Paint is slow, behind the times and unfit for comic lettering, use another app for lettering and enjoy using CSP for the drawing, inking and coloring aspects of comic creation which it excels in.

• Wow, I was unaware of the advantages of OpenType fonts. Would it be worth it to suggest adding the ability to use them in future updates, I wonder? From past experience the developers of MS/CSP are very conservative in what they add , outside what what their main customer base (Japanese) want. That's probably why Western style text is so poorly supported in it. Which is a pity.

• Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be getting OpenType support any time soon. A few updates ago, we got a Text List selector in the Text Tool which allows you to insert ligatures and special characters from a character map.

0_1473202525439_type.jpg

Since the developers went this route, the thought that they will one day go with OpenType support seems bleak. On the plus side, if you're making comics, 95% of your lettering will be dialogue fonts. Fonts like MonsterificBB are Display fonts and will only be used for titles and such. Building a title with the Text List can be annoying but the text will always be editable within CSP. On the negative side, Comicraft went with a special area of the character map called Special Ligatures which isn't available on the Text List character map (Blambot went with Private Use for their ligatures) so you can't get to Comicraft Ligatures.

The autoligatures with dialogue fonts have to do with double letter pairs. In these cases the designer takes an uppercase and a lowercase letter and pairs them together. Some ligatures are done with an autoswitching so that one time the pair will appear as upper + lower and then the next time as lower + upper but often they are found in the Private Use area as a special glyph that contain the upper and lower case characters together.

I don't find it difficult to manually swap an uppercase letter for one of the letters in the pair as I proof read.

The auto kerning is the other advantage of OpenType but most commercial fonts are very well made and well spaced. They're offered for sale in TrueType format as well as OpenType so they are usable without auto kerning but I still manually kern some of the more noticeable letter pairs like At and YO while I proof read.

What it comes down to though, is whether you prefer to have text that is editable (and requires a some extra steps) or text that must be edited in another app (and requires some extra steps).

• @garlam said in Resizing my image.:

What it comes down to though, is whether you prefer to have text that is editable (and requires a some extra steps) or text that must be edited in another app (and requires some extra steps).

The ideal would be to at least have a decent option of doing it all in CSP, wouldn't it? Not that I'll be holding my breath for that. I have Illustrator (and for that matter I still have - gasp - Fireworks) so I could just export to either and add text and balloons there.

• @laura.seabrook said in Resizing my image.:

The ideal would be to at least have a decent option of doing it all in CSP, wouldn't it?

I can do it all in CSP. For the time it takes to export an image of your canvas and import it into another program and letter the page, export it and then import back into CSP - I can have a page lettered with adjusted pairs and kerning and my work would be editable. If you need to do corrections in another program, you need to make your corrections in the other program and import back into CSP. If the corrections are due to something being changed on the page, you need to export the canvas again, import, correct, then export and import.

Some people letter their roughs first and draw around the lettering. It's good to adjust balloons as needed while you work. What do you do if the lettering layer is an un-editable image layer?

• @garlam & @laura-seabrook

"Test List" is an hilarious example of making something that should be simple complicated and time-wasting. It's awkward and not intuitive to me at all. In essence, it's creating more work for the end-user for something that should be automatic and need no user intervention. But if you like messing around...

CSP is not a good letterer for me, I guess I'm fussy and expect a bit of finesse when it comes to fonts. CSP makes for a good font cudgel and just takes too much fussing to do anything that's half-way passable. The balloons are nice, but they're not text and CSP is awesome at graphics. Of the dozens of graphic apps I've used, Manga Studio/Clip Studio Paint is the only app that routinely "forgets" about fonts I have installed and on sub-tools will substitute an Japanese (of course!) font for the forgotten one. Which makes it a PITA when foundries release an update to font families. Because that will make CSP treat the updated font as "new" and all the sub-tools that use it have to be changed and then re-saved as default. Again, only CSP puts me though this kind of drama.. I am not saying that CSP is the worst at fonts, it's just that they have to improve to become the worst. :P
    If I need to change wording/balloon placement, I just make the layer that has the imported text/balloons on it editable, make my changes and then export only that layer (by hiding all other layers) to use as a guide for the lettering in the vector app of my choice. Comic Life has a feature that allows you to "force update" a changed graphic. Big help. So fiddling and such is still doable, and maybe take a bit more time.

Then, of course there just has to be a point that things have to be locked down. As the current popular video says : Finished, not perfect. And for me, locking down the text and not changing balloons or such and not going "how would this look if..." rabbit hole saves me much time and allows me to finish stuff. Comic Life can import scripts which can have dialog/caption dragged onto the canvas. Smooth and brilliant feature. Not bad for a sub- $50 app.

It's like what I told my students, "We spend 95% of our time on things that only 2% of the people notice. Close enough, most times, is good enough. Except for coding." (I taught HTML hand-coding at the time in addition to graphics). So at the point when the lettering is done, it's done and only changed for typos or when a better phrasing comes to mind.

And, Laura, if it took 3 versions for Manga Studio to get word wrap (sorta), and with the Text List that Garlam showed us, I doubt that we'll ever see real, honest to goodness Open Type support in CSP.

Okay, my rant's over. I'll never see eye to eye with Garlam, we both have methods that work for us. And that's cool.

• @cartoonMike Like I said, I'm not holding my breath.