IES Lights and Poser/Superfly/Cycles

• @ghostship It would be great if we could do that in that fashion!

• I'd like to see Superfly get Portals. Basically, Portals is a new feature of Blender designed to speed up Cycles rendering.

• @eclark1849 that would be very useful. I've tried a couple of scenes like that and they just look horrid with all the noise. I can't leave my computer rendering one scene for 60 hours.

• Portals or HDR with sharp shadows or if they can cast shadows will be awesome features,I think Blender and Cycles still can't properly read IES,there is only workaround which I've used in past with Blender ,but I've used earlier Blender SW

But still I would be more interested in AMD ProRender if can be ported over to Poser,if someone used previously 3DS MAX and Corona Alpha which is free,would love ProRender,its fast and can achieve great and fast renders,have used that for while and is based on OpenCL which can be great too on OSX or Macs which does have AMD GPU

Normal render in 2048x1556 took me with some noise just 6 minutes on CPU only on i7-4790k

0_1473393311699_Corona V.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @eclark1849 This sounds really good. Even on my new iMac a really high-res render can take forever.

• @jura11 I remember you mentioning this ProRender elsewhere. I'm still very intrigued by it. It seems like something that should definitely be pursued!

• @jura11 brightly lit scenes with either poser lights or a combo with the envirosphere render pretty decent. The noise problem only gets bad when using indirect light to light up an interior or when light sources are small compared to the area they light.

• @ghostship said in IES Lights and Poser/Superfly/Cycles:

@jura11 brightly lit scenes with either poser lights or a combo with the envirosphere render pretty decent. The noise problem only gets bad when using indirect light to light up an interior or when light sources are small compared to the area they light.

• When you do interior renders in Superfly, you can do the old style portals.

To set these up, load up a prop, I use the high res plane.

Place the prop in the window, but put it just outside of the window since it really isn't a portal.
    Its basically the light that it could not find without it.
    Scale it so it covers the whole opening.
    On the properties pane, turn off cast shadows and visible in camera.

Go to the material room, add a Cycles root node then plug an emissions shader to it.
    Set to about 15 and the color you want it to be. If it to bright or dark, adjust accordingly.

Adding these to the openings will reduce the noise, make it render faster, and the interior will get far better light distribution.

Here is an example file of another way to set up the shader as well.
    0_1473435387374_hidden emitter.zip.txt Rename it accordingly, then extract it.

If you add more than one to a scene, making them slightly different colors makes the lighting look better as well.

• @shvrdavid said in IES Lights and Poser/Superfly/Cycles:

When you do interior renders in Superfly, you can do the old style portals.

To set these up, load up a prop, I use the high res plane.

Place the prop in the window, but put it just outside of the window since it really isn't a portal.
    Its basically the light that it could not find without it.
    Scale it so it covers the whole opening.
    On the properties pane, turn off cast shadows and visible in camera.

Go to the material room, add a Cycles root node then plug an emissions shader to it.
    Set to about 15 and the color you want it to be. If it to bright or dark, adjust accordingly.

Adding these to the openings will reduce the noise, make it render faster, and the interior will get far better light distribution.

Here is an example file of another way to set up the shader as well.
    0_1473435387374_hidden emitter.zip.txt Rename it accordingly, then extract it.

If you add more than one to a scene, making them slightly different colors makes the lighting look better as well.

I figured something like this had to be possible in Poser. I'm working on something else right now so I can't test this...but how does using a plane as an emitter compare to using a scaled down area light?

• I have done it with area lights as well, but they react differently, not sure why thou.

• @shvrdavid Less diffuse, more concentrated, maybe?

• Not really sure, Sometime I use area lights as well, just depends on how it looks.

I have had better luck with the planes thou.

• @shvrdavid Cool - will check it out!

• Here is an interesting read on the IES lights in Blender.

http://www.chocofur.com/ies-lights-in-cycles.html

And if any python gurus want to take a crack at it, here is the Blender Python for part of it as well.
    https://gist.github.com/AngryLoki/4364512

• @ghostship said in IES Lights and Poser/Superfly/Cycles:

@jura11 brightly lit scenes with either poser lights or a combo with the envirosphere render pretty decent. The noise problem only gets bad when using indirect light to light up an interior or when light sources are small compared to the area they light.

Hi there

This depends,interior scene in my case is very easy,if you want to use only one sun or infinite light and yours interior is closed,you can run to issues as will be dark and there what would help is ISO exposure control

I sometimes use as shrvrdavid pointed out,this work for me too and sometimes I use too several lights,i will post renders later on which has been done in SF

Second bit,literally I would jump if SM would add ISO exposure control to camera and if they added mesh lights too

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura