New Poser Webinar: Explore the Power of the Poser Physical Root Node

• Register and get more info at: http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-webinars.html

Explore the Power of the Poser Physical Root Node

Register now and join us for this exciting new webinar with Poser product manager Charles Taylor where we will examine Poser’s universal root node and its amazing versatility. This one node can create materials from a lump of charcoal to a pristine mirror.

In the webinar, we will be examining features introduced in the latest service pack for Poser 11, SR5. While many of the techniques will apply to Poser 11 in general, you should have the latest service release to get the most from this event.

Presenters: Charles Taylor, Poser Product Manager and Teyon Alexander, Digital Artist and Poser Content Creator.

• @tdelchiaro

Wow... thanks for the info!
    -> Registered ^__^

• I registered too, but I won't be getting up at 4AM to take part... I registered to get the notification of the replay...

• Poser Ambassadors

Water, we need water for legs, ponds, seas, rivers.

Water that survives FireFly and Superfly.

I can always "clown" something together that looks "more or less" acceptable, but good water is hard to do.
    0_1473511104454_Construct-texturing2.jpg

The ground is a morphed and textured "default construct" and the water level is a semi-transparent hi res plane with bump and displacement, some reflect and ks_microfacet.

• New

Middle of the day for me and I'll be at work. Guess I'll have to wait until the video comes out. Wonder if Nerd will take questions before hand?

• Well, the webinar was very informative, and yes Chuck and Teyon answered questions. The video of the webinar should be available in a few days.

I took about 4 or 5 screenshots, and took a bunch of notes, but I'm still looking forward to the video so I can play it over, and set up my notes in a little less haphazard manner.

• Hi gang. Sorry for the technical difficulties. Here's another example of using one material with textures that define multiple materials. This prop uses one material: Pan. However, because of the maps plugged into the Physical surface node, it looks like multiple materials.

0_1474399984092_set.PNG
    These four maps control Base Color (top left), Metallic value (top right), Normal Map (bottom left), Roughness value (bottom right).
    0_1474401345015_pan.PNG

• Metallic maps should, for the most part, be black and white. You may see flecks of grey here and there where the metal is rusted or blending into another material. Roughness, is usually grey, the darker the grey, the less rough, the lighter the grey (or white) the more rough. So for a really rough surface like wood, you'd have that area of the map almost white, while metals would be more grey or almost black depending on the roughness.

• Oh thanks for adding those here Teyon. I especially like the look of the fry pan.

I'm going to add that last bit to my notes for sure. ~wink~

• Happy to help. Note that some content out there comes with gloss maps as opposed to rough maps. These are almost interchangeable BUT the spectrums are reversed. So to use a gloss map as a roughness map, you'll need to invert it and vice versa (usually).

• For things like water, you'll probably need to fiddle with the color, gloss and opacity areas of the Physical root node. You'll probably also want some kind of image map or node to drive surface details like small ripples plugged into the displacement, bump or normal map channel.

• This cloth plane has one material on it: Cloth. Using texture maps made with MegaScans plugged into Poser's Physical Surface Root node, I was able to make the look of a flowing riverbank.
    0_1474411249328_river.PNG

• @Teyon said in New Poser Webinar: Explore the Power of the Poser Physical Root Node:

This cloth plane has one material on it: Cloth. Using texture maps made with MegaScans plugged into Poser's Physical Surface Root node, I was able to make the look of a flowing riverbank.
    0_1474411249328_river.PNG

This looks awesome Teyon,really like it a lot there

Great job on that

I will be waiting on video of webinar to watch later

Thanks,Jura

• The hardest part about doing water isn't the water, it's getting what's under the water right. It's hard to find reference images of with a river bed looks like with the water peeled off.

• The webinar replay is now live on YouTube:

We'd like to know what you thought about the webinar so be sure to give us your feedback in this webinar survey.

Both links will also be included in the webinar follow-up email that should go out tomorrow.

• @tdelchiaro Woot! That didn't take long at all. :-)

• @tdelchiaro I'm going to go watch this webinar replay, but I want to ask if SM will be putting out any shader packs for Poser's Superfly?

• @eclark1849 That's actually mentioned in the webinar but yes.

• Thanks for the answer Teyon. I have a comment for who ever does the Facebook page. I don't do Facebook. I never will, so a lot of the annoucements and things you guys promote there I will never see. You have a Website right here. Why not post a copy of the annoucements and things here as well? I check this website everyday.

• Thank you for the replay, I was unable to attend unfortunately, you rock guys!