more Superfly shaders

• Much appreciated, if you do, @ghostship !

• @ghostship

Wow... I love your boot...
    Furthermore: thank you so much for sharing all these shaders <3

• @ghostship said in more Superfly shaders:

I think what I might do is make some of the more useful incarnations of my shader into library presets and post those up for free. I myself appreciate one-click texturing mat zones and I think others would as well.

I'll add my vote for one-click texturing as well. ~wink~

• @ibr_remote Thank you very much IBR, but I'd like to see these in higher close up to see how the sss is affecting the depth of the skin not just its colour. Is there any chance that you could do some renders of just the head on caucasian skin close enough to see the bump mapping. Say 1200x1200? Thanks in advance.

• @matb I can try - I don't usually do that size....

• @ghostship I'd love to see what you come up with on this one ghost, but of course, you're not necessarily trying to create a light model that behaves with mathematical precision at all intensities - simply one that works at the settings required for the scene.

• @piersyf Do you think that the differences you describe would be detectable by the normal viewer piers? Would they make a significant difference to the scene?

• @matb It depends on the light, but for common household lights the answer is more yes than no. If representing LPS street lights (the orange ones), just use the blackbody temperature and don't adjust, because those lights emit on a single spectral frequency. This makes them energy efficient, but also make it almost impossible to accurately distinguish colours. The have a 'colour rendering index' of 0 in the adjusted scale (0 to 100... a rare scale with 101 data points).
    The old incandescents have a CRI of between 95 and 100... this means they generate light across the full visible spectrum, but the whole thing is then pushed into the red end of the spectrum because of the low blackbody temperature, well below 'daylight'. The fact the whole visible light spectrum is covered allows our eyes to effectively adjust (white balance equiv) and see what we expect. The main problems with CRI (and anything developed to improve it) is that you can't avoid the subjective response to the light... what do people see.

Explanation done, here's pictures:

0_1474674125898_Untitled-1.jpg Basic pure white room, white light.

0_1474674167332_Untitled-2.jpg Light has blackbody node for incandescent bulb. The temperature is correct, but this isn't what you would see. It IS what your camera would see if you forgot to set white balance.

0_1474674264306_Untitled-3.jpg 2 Blackbody nodes, one set to the temperature for the bulb and one set to daylight (around 6000K). Run through a mix node giving 75% to the daylight end and 25% to the bulb. More what we would actually see.

You could always just average the numbers on a single blackbody, but having 2 nodes makes it controllable through the mix node.

• @piersyf How strong should the emission node be set for a given source? If I'm using an object as a mesh light and it is the size of a typical bulb or I have a box stuck to the ceiling in place of a fluorescent light fixture. Assuming that I want a render that would look like it was correctly exposed (and why would I not?)

• I haven't done those measurements yet. As you no doubt have discovered the amount of light emitted from a mesh object is dependent on the amount of geometry. If you use real world dimensions for the objects it should be possible to make them as props with the base emission set, but they would still need to be adjusted for the scene. If you've looked over my tutorial, you'll know what I mean. To establish a baseline (where the mesh is the only light source in a scene) you can use the same method I did in the tutorial, but I'm going to have to refer you back to that for how to do it... it'd take too long to reprint here.
    If you aren't trying to model a specific bulb, a short cut is to place the mesh 2m above the floor plane, set the floor plane to an RGB of 127 in all channels (neutral grey) and just keep cranking up the emissions until you get a rendered image where the floor returns a value of 127. When the render returns the tone set in the materials room, the 'exposure' is correct.

• BTW, I said in my tutorial that you can't pre-determine exposure for mesh lights. I've since refined that position... you CAN pre-determine them if you build the actual lights. Where it becomes less possible is when you are using the existing geometry in a scene that has been allocated as a light (as I was doing in the tutorial, using purchased scene where I didn't make the lights)... and that is only because you don't know how much actual geometry is being used for lighting.

• still looking into the light node but in the meantime here is Window Glass. I ran into an issue with the glassBSDF node that it was not allowing lights to pass through and light the other side of the window or cast shadows from objects on the other side. Looks like I will have to re-do a couple of water shaders as well because they don't light up the bottom of a swimming pool. (yes I have caustics turned on)

You might want to play with the color of the trans and gloss nodes and also adjust the IOR of the Fresnel node. I set it here to 1.5 so I could see the reflections easier in the window. You should adjust this to suit your render.

0_1474836054241_Window Glass.jpg

• @ghostship Hey Ghost, I've spent ages trying to work this out but I can't find main node anywhere in the menus - is this referencing another layer?

• @ghostship What value is in your vectors here?

• @matb I'm using the Cycles root. Right click in the materials window and select root/CyclesSurface. I'm not sure what vectors you are referring too, all values are visible in that last image (the window glass shader)

• @ghostship In your sand material, the node beneath the root node is titled "main node". I cannot find a node to add CALLED main node, and nor does any cycles node appear to add one with the options shown in case you renamed it.

As for vectors, in your wave texture (water), under the wave node, there is a vector option with three parameters (presumably x, y and z). For some reason I was not getting a preview of the wave in the node as you are, and I thought that the vectors may be the issue. As it happens, it renders fine, but simply doesn't preview for some reason.

• @matb The "Main Node" in the sand material is my free shader.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/85799/browse/7/Material-and-Shader/Poser-11-Superfly-Dielectric-Shader-version-2

included there is a car paint variation.

Look at the upper right hand corner of any node and you will see an eye. Closed=no view, open eye=preview on.

• Can someone help me figure out what I did wrong? I tried to do the cloud shader but I'm getting a solid white ball. Here is the render, shader, and render settings.

0_1475361562748_cloud render 3.jpg

• @redphantom you have to change the density of the scattervolume node. I had scaled down the models in my examples and so I needed to scale up density on volumetrics. Try 1 to start with then double each time till you get the density you want.

• @redphantom it also helps to have a model that is clowdlike. I used Flink's water splash model in my example.