Rigging folding doors

• How would you go about setting up folding doors? With 5 panels I don't see how to do it with morph targets, so I looked at rigging with bones. I watched the tute on Renderosity about rigging props and got the basics, but I can't figure out how to arrange them on a folding door because one part of the door needs to be constrained to a global axis (the part of the door that runs along a track).
    I've linked a demo for what I want but it's for 3DS Max, so uses a different system and is no direct help (other than to illustrate my desired objective).

• You sure you want to use bones for that?

I'd just use 5 objects - one frame and the 4 panels. Parent the first panel to the frame and adjust the rotation center so that it rotates on an edge; then parent the 2nd panel to the first panel, and adjust its rotation center so that it rotates around its edge, and position it so that its rotation center matches the edge of its parent; then do the same thing on the 3rd panel, and so forth.

Animation is rather straightforward as the angles are always the same (for panels of the same width); so if you rotate the first panel by say 60 degrees, then second panel rotates by -60 degrees, then 3rd panel by 60 degrees and so forth.

If you need to set it up so that the whole thing opens with a single dial (rather than setting rotations in 4 panels), then you can set linear dependencies, as rotation of 3rd panel = rotation of 1st panel, rotation of 2nd panel = negative of rotation of 1st panel, and so forth.

• Example:

• Poser Team

There are a few ways to set up bi-fold doors in Poser.

I rarely use bones or even change the centers for anything like that. I simply set up dependencies on the first panel.

Save this file, rename it by dropping the .txt extension, then load it in Poser and look at the dependency setup on the first panel.

Bi-fold doors are a compound setup, and you can get away with setting the dependencies in 5 steps most of the time.

Hope this helps.

0_1474343563749_Bifold Doors.zip.txt

• Steps to reproduce that fast experiment:

(a) Create a cube prop; scale it as you wish; once you're satisfied with the proportions, Grouping Tool / Select All / Create New Prop; name it Panel1; this will create a box with the size you want and scales all set as 100% - that's important, as scaling messes up rotations of parented props.

(b) Camera / Top View / Window / Joint Editor / find the green cross and move it to the top left corner - that's the hinge for the first panel; rotate it, verify it rotates exactly around that edge

(c) Edit / Duplicate Panel1 3 times; name the copies Panel2, Panel3, Panel4

(d) Select Panel3; Top View / Windows / Joint Editor / move the green cross to front left; that's because the hinge on that panel is on the front, rather than in the back; verify it rotates

(e) Move the 4 panels side by side, so they exactly touch by the edges; Window / Hierarchy Editor / make Panel2 child of Panel1; make Panel3 child of panel2; make Panel4 child of Panel3

(f) Make the movie 60 frames; go to frame 30; set Y rotations: Panel1 = 60 degrees; Panel2 = -120 degrees; Panel3 = 120 degrees; Panel4 = -120 degrees

(g) Go to frame 60; set Y rotations = 0 in all frames

Play movie. That's it.

Notice this only works because all panels are the same width, so the rotations are exactly the same; if the panels had different widths then this method won't work, as the rotations wil now have to follow a mathematical formula, and that may be beyond Poser's ability.

• Thank you both for the options! I didn't particularly want bones; my preference is usually morph targets. It was the dependencies that had me stumped. I'll look over these. Thanks again!

• alt text

First of all, sorry for the drawing, I make it in 1 minute :)

for rigging a window I do the next:

In your 3d application, separate the geometry in groups and give them the name in the picture ( for example), window1, window2, frame
    Import the obj file in Poser, enter in the setup room.
    Make a bone for every geometry group, taking as parent the frame bone and called them as you call the geometry groups in your 3d application.
    If you put the bones in the position they are in the picture, you can open the 2 windows with the transformation dials.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.