Firefly rendering abysmally slow

• After waiting through multiple versions of Poser for Firefly to be fast enough to be usable, you now appear to have completely crippled it, so we're back to basic single frame renders that take hours or longer. I've read people saying use simple light rigs, but I'm only using the defaults - a key, fill, rim and IBL. Sometimes not even that. This performance hit really is completely intolerable.

• @matb Are you taliking about SUPERFLY or FIREFLY?

In the last update they made it possible to render in Superfly in a separate process. I had this option checked from before but had to uncheck it as rendering in separate process makes Superfly run slower.

• @matb said in Firefly rendering abysmally slow:

After waiting through multiple versions of Poser for Firefly to be fast enough to be usable, you now appear to have completely crippled it, so we're back to basic single frame renders that take hours or longer. I've read people saying use simple light rigs, but I'm only using the defaults - a key, fill, rim and IBL. Sometimes not even that. This performance hit really is completely intolerable.

I don't think this is a problem with Firefly. I think that there is still a memory-leak issue with Poser when the user goes through multiple library tabs.

When I'm working in Poser, I generally render in Firefly in the background while I'm checking scene components and moving through libraries. (Figure/Prop/Hair/Pose/Back to Figure library, etc)

It is not unusual for me to experience an intolerable bit of lag soon after and a render might start taking a ridiculous amount of time. At that point, I'll save the scene, exit Poser, wait several minutes for Poser to finish closing down and releasing its cache, then restart Poser.

The thing is that once I do the restart, Poser seems to behave much better. So, I don't know if it's a specific issue with its cache that is helped by doing a first, dry, run, then restarting it, or if its simply a terrible memory leak. (Yes, I know that the last Patch was supposed to fix a memory leak issue like this, but it didn't work and I'm all patched up, cleaned up, good-to-go on my side. I wonder if the techs QA'd the patch with multiple runtimes located in user or non-standard directory structures. Maybe they missed something?)

I still have Poser 9 on my system and it runs fine. I checked its render speed on a compatible scene then loaded that scene into P11 and P11 even rendered it a bit faster. But, P9 does not suffer from the memory/cache/weirdness slowdown issue that P11 seems to be suffering from.

TLDR - It's not Firefly, it's a cache/memoryleak issue, somewhere. I can get really decent speeds with P11 Firefly, even in complex scenes, but I have to restart it if I experience a slowdown.

• So far I've found PoserPro11 renders much faster than 2014 - and that was a version which left my old Poser 7 lagging behind.
    It is fractionally slower when running from an external drive, even with Thunderbolt connection.