Masks in Poser ... Second skin?

• Poser Ambassadors

Thanks Boni.

If you choose the first option, you have to paint a mask.

If you let Poser create the mask for you? => As in "No separate mask needed".
    True WHITE is where the figures original skin will be.

the txt and pictures at renderosity explain it all.
    Have a nice day.

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm coming up iwth a mess ... my mats aren't the same type as those in the demo ... but that actually brings me up to the need to clarify my goals which are:

1. to create compound "add" nodes that apply a second skin to any V4 I have without interfering with the shader already in place.
    2. Applying a pattern or map to the second skin shader.
    3. Tactile texturing (satin, leather, velvet etc.) to accompany the add-on

Theoretically this should be possible. Setting it up is confounding me because I have not mastered the blending and math functions. I keep thinking that I can group effects into a tidy little package then just add to a texture and plug into a blend/math funciotn and redirect the core shader to the blender and viola ... but maybe I'm dreaming.

• Poser Ambassadors

Hi,
    I'm trying to learn how to do the masks on a layer above the base layer in Superfly.
    That way they can be used on any character with any texture map because they will be applied ABOVE the texture map.
    I got those lines around the torso and have not figured out how to get rid of them.
    attached image shows the lines.

I asked Dimension3d how to do make the layers and here is his response.
    I'll post this but I may be away from the computer today.

Cheerio
    lululee

Dimension3d" response.
    "To create overlays for SuperFly, you better use the new layer system. Layers can be loaded from a material collection without changing the existing material, so they can be easily distributed and applied. (But you have to save the complete material collection and then remove the main shaders to have the layers only.) The only drawback is that layers are SuperFly only, they don't work on FireFly.

To change an existing material into an overlay is also pretty simple. You create a new MixClosure and connect it to Surface input in CyclesSurface. You use the mask on Fac, the actual shader on Closure1, and a new TransparentBsdf on Closure2. For materials with PoserSurface as root, you would have to use the mask as alpha mask (transparency, specular value etc).
    "0_1474733790199_Test-Lines.png

![alt text](image url)

• Poser Ambassadors

Boni,
    So glad you are working on this too. I am really interested in learning this as I think the layer aspect to Poser 11 is a very powerful feature.
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee You have to have the same material applied to the limbs as is on the torso. IOW if you have a mat on the torso with the base layer being skin and a second layer being a bikini or tattoo or anything else you will have to have the same setup for the limbs or you will have those lines where the mat zones meet. Alternatively you might see if you have something set different on the base layers.

• Poser Ambassadors

I originally wanted to do this on layers but found that the secondary layer corrupted the shader on the lower layer, is there a work around? Besides that contradicts my goal to have a "blank" area where the skin is to apply to any already existing character shader. If we can get this to work we will have a great reusable overlay for all characters ( specific to a model such as V4).

• @Boni were you rendering in Superfly or Firefly? Can you post up your mat (all layers) that is having a problem? Can you post a picture of what you are calling corruption?

• Poser Ambassadors

I will try to get those screen shots tomorrow morning or Monday, I have limited access to my work computer on the weekend. Weekends are family time.

• Poser Ambassadors

By the way, this is being rendered in superfly. But it would be cool to make it backward compatible. But that would be two separate configurations.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here is the set up:

1. Paris character full morphs and shaders on base layer.
    2. BASIC trans Second skin applied to "layer_1".
    3. I need to avoid the situation in the quote WITHOUT adding a matterial to the skin area as that will counter act the purpose of this module entirely. I need to find a work around.

@ghostship said in Masks in Poser ... Second skin?:

@lululee You have to have the same material applied to the limbs as is on the torso. IOW if you have a mat on the torso with the base layer being skin and a second layer being a bikini or tattoo or anything else you will have to have the same setup for the limbs or you will have those lines where the mat zones meet. Alternatively you might see if you have something set different on the base layers.

But I did make the layer not interfere the settings on the shaders, other than the "lines".

0_1474931339867_Second_Skin1.jpg

The extra map nodes are there for "experimentation". and YES, i know the cycles nodes are not attached to the root node. It did NOT work when it was. Just showed black or white beyond the mask.

• Poser Ambassadors

Next steps:

1. eliminate the lines without adding map to layer
    2. build a node to add shader-textures for satin, leather, velvet etc. to "add" to the second skin (plus the bump/displacement) without interfering with the base layer.
    3. Pack it up in a compound shader add on for distribution.

• @Boni

try this: for the limbs, face, lips (yes the lips too or you will have those awful lines around the lips) possibly the nails too, you will have to create a second layer that is transparent. That should get rid of the lines at the mat zones.

• @ghostship Don't for get the head is part of the Torso (V4) so just copy the entire mat on the torso and paste it onto the head zone.

• Poser Ambassadors

Perfect!! Now, tomorrow I will work on mixed closures/bleneders to add tactile shaders to the mix!! Thanks so much!!! I'll also send up a render as well.

• Poser Ambassadors

0_1474936029569_2nd_Layer_Trans.jpg

Had to do the face and other external textures as well. So ... it's all good!!

• Poser Ambassadors

Ok, next challenge:

1. How to make a shader with JUST the second layer.
    2. How to add textures to the mask (and displacemants)
    3. How to pack into into a compound shader for distribution

Possible solutions:

1. make a compound node may be the solution to this one, but still, how to save it.
    2. blenders and/or mixed closures which I need to experiment with.
    3. I think I will need to make compounds in compounds ... (i.e. texture comps., trans-mapped comps. inside a master).

Thoughts?

• Poser Ambassadors

Not sure if this'll help but here's a Firefly shader I made last year for a set that uses multiple maps daisy-chained with multiple masks to make a layered material in PP2014. This is just colour -

0_1475010480040_ss11.JPG

The full material in this case uses colour + specular + normal maps. Looks complex but it's really quite simple.

0_1475010637833_ss10.JPG

Plus, you can save a compound node as a single node that can be added to an existing material. End user will have to connect it up, but you can make that easier by naming the outputs.

BTW, possibly daft question - when you're using Cyclesnodes, are you plugging them to the Cycles root? I ask as I don't see it in your screenshot earlier :)

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm getting milky washed out areas in the skin areas when I use any cycles root nodes on the "layer_1", that is why I've been using PoserSurface root on all set-ups so far. Using those with a suplimental invisible/transparent Layer_1 for adjacent zones (see screenshot) to avoid the "lines" showing up. Keep in mind as much as I've used Poser since version 3, I don't have a developer's level understanding and am still learning as I go. I do however try to be as detailed in my descriptions as I can be. Having worked in tech support for HP I know the value of step-by-step details. (that was almost 20 years ago and technology is leaped and bounded away from me since then).

0_1475011805235_2nd_Layer_Trans.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson Sheesh, forgot to mention ... this set-up is a great learning tool! thank you. I will work on this so I can adapt it and hopfully use it to create mat files for redistribution. Thank you so much.

• Poser Ambassadors

No worries ;) AFAIK layers don't seem to offer any particular advantage (yet) over the blender + mask approach (though I could be wrong of course!) ...