Masks in Poser ... Second skin?

• Poser Ambassadors

Next steps:

1. eliminate the lines without adding map to layer
    2. build a node to add shader-textures for satin, leather, velvet etc. to "add" to the second skin (plus the bump/displacement) without interfering with the base layer.
    3. Pack it up in a compound shader add on for distribution.

• @Boni

try this: for the limbs, face, lips (yes the lips too or you will have those awful lines around the lips) possibly the nails too, you will have to create a second layer that is transparent. That should get rid of the lines at the mat zones.

• @ghostship Don't for get the head is part of the Torso (V4) so just copy the entire mat on the torso and paste it onto the head zone.

• Poser Ambassadors

Perfect!! Now, tomorrow I will work on mixed closures/bleneders to add tactile shaders to the mix!! Thanks so much!!! I'll also send up a render as well.

• Poser Ambassadors

0_1474936029569_2nd_Layer_Trans.jpg

Had to do the face and other external textures as well. So ... it's all good!!

• Poser Ambassadors

Ok, next challenge:

1. How to make a shader with JUST the second layer.
    2. How to add textures to the mask (and displacemants)
    3. How to pack into into a compound shader for distribution

Possible solutions:

1. make a compound node may be the solution to this one, but still, how to save it.
    2. blenders and/or mixed closures which I need to experiment with.
    3. I think I will need to make compounds in compounds ... (i.e. texture comps., trans-mapped comps. inside a master).

Thoughts?

• Poser Ambassadors

Not sure if this'll help but here's a Firefly shader I made last year for a set that uses multiple maps daisy-chained with multiple masks to make a layered material in PP2014. This is just colour -

0_1475010480040_ss11.JPG

The full material in this case uses colour + specular + normal maps. Looks complex but it's really quite simple.

0_1475010637833_ss10.JPG

Plus, you can save a compound node as a single node that can be added to an existing material. End user will have to connect it up, but you can make that easier by naming the outputs.

BTW, possibly daft question - when you're using Cyclesnodes, are you plugging them to the Cycles root? I ask as I don't see it in your screenshot earlier :)

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm getting milky washed out areas in the skin areas when I use any cycles root nodes on the "layer_1", that is why I've been using PoserSurface root on all set-ups so far. Using those with a suplimental invisible/transparent Layer_1 for adjacent zones (see screenshot) to avoid the "lines" showing up. Keep in mind as much as I've used Poser since version 3, I don't have a developer's level understanding and am still learning as I go. I do however try to be as detailed in my descriptions as I can be. Having worked in tech support for HP I know the value of step-by-step details. (that was almost 20 years ago and technology is leaped and bounded away from me since then).

0_1475011805235_2nd_Layer_Trans.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson Sheesh, forgot to mention ... this set-up is a great learning tool! thank you. I will work on this so I can adapt it and hopfully use it to create mat files for redistribution. Thank you so much.

• Poser Ambassadors

No worries ;) AFAIK layers don't seem to offer any particular advantage (yet) over the blender + mask approach (though I could be wrong of course!) ...

• Poser Ambassadors

Hea, thought of this in the middle of the night. What if I made a "null" root node in the base layer? one that does nothing. Then adjust all my "layer_1" and Pack it up as an "Add" shader ... that should do it, right? I'll try this later.

• @Boni What I did here was run Bopperthijis EZSkin3 plug-in on V4, then I added a second layer to the Torso, Hip and Nipples and pasted my shader into that second layer. The mask is one of Bopper's suntan masks that I modified in Photoshop (unsharp mask filter)I did not have a problem with seams showing between the torso and arm zones etc. probably because I'm using all Cycles shaders.

0_1475082543205_layer 2.jpg

0_1475082625271_2layerV4.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

Wow, that is fantastic!! Now that is what I'm looking for ... my middle of the night idea did NOT work since mc6 files ONLY replace and do NOT add too (no double checks to tick) I am really jazzed about this. So ... I can build mixed closures to this? To texturize and map?

• @Boni that is my shader in it's compound node.

• Poser Ambassadors

Oh, my gosh ... I've had it in front of me this whole time!! Sheesh. Thank you Ghostship, I will play a bit more with this. Sometimes you just have to see things from a different angle.

• Poser Ambassadors

Next challenge. I have 2 mixed closures ... I want to combine them ... How?

0_1475102903345_2016-09-28.png

Here is my set-up. I want to use the leather compound/mixed closure inside the trans-mapped area. BUT when I try to connect it anywhwere (practically all connections are grayed out, indicating not compatible.) Another obstacle.

• Poser Ambassadors

Add another - MixClosure is like the Poser Blender node. You can daisy-chain them. You add two inputs, which can be whatever you want, either complete materials or a single node, and you control how those inputs are mixed by the Fac on the MixClosure or the Blend bit of the Blender node. So the output from one MixClosure can be one of the inputs to another, and so on.

Boni, in your screenshot, your trans map is your mask. That will drive the Fac of each MixClosure node, or the Blend bit of the Poser Blender node. Does that help?

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes ... and no. I don't know HOW to daisy chain them to the Cycles Root node. The connections keep greying out ... if you could be so kind as to show a screen shot for example, it would be most helpful.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's a quickie -

0_1475170362159_ss1.JPG

0_1475170385680_test1.png

That's three colours mixed together using spots nodes as masks. They don't need to be colours, they could be any combination of nodes (I'll try to do a more complex setup shortly).

Does that help?

• Poser Ambassadors

Very much! I will try this out! Thank you very much!