Masks in Poser ... Second skin?

• Poser Ambassadors

Not sure if this'll help but here's a Firefly shader I made last year for a set that uses multiple maps daisy-chained with multiple masks to make a layered material in PP2014. This is just colour -

0_1475010480040_ss11.JPG

The full material in this case uses colour + specular + normal maps. Looks complex but it's really quite simple.

0_1475010637833_ss10.JPG

Plus, you can save a compound node as a single node that can be added to an existing material. End user will have to connect it up, but you can make that easier by naming the outputs.

BTW, possibly daft question - when you're using Cyclesnodes, are you plugging them to the Cycles root? I ask as I don't see it in your screenshot earlier :)

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm getting milky washed out areas in the skin areas when I use any cycles root nodes on the "layer_1", that is why I've been using PoserSurface root on all set-ups so far. Using those with a suplimental invisible/transparent Layer_1 for adjacent zones (see screenshot) to avoid the "lines" showing up. Keep in mind as much as I've used Poser since version 3, I don't have a developer's level understanding and am still learning as I go. I do however try to be as detailed in my descriptions as I can be. Having worked in tech support for HP I know the value of step-by-step details. (that was almost 20 years ago and technology is leaped and bounded away from me since then).

0_1475011805235_2nd_Layer_Trans.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson Sheesh, forgot to mention ... this set-up is a great learning tool! thank you. I will work on this so I can adapt it and hopfully use it to create mat files for redistribution. Thank you so much.

• Poser Ambassadors

No worries ;) AFAIK layers don't seem to offer any particular advantage (yet) over the blender + mask approach (though I could be wrong of course!) ...

• Poser Ambassadors

Hea, thought of this in the middle of the night. What if I made a "null" root node in the base layer? one that does nothing. Then adjust all my "layer_1" and Pack it up as an "Add" shader ... that should do it, right? I'll try this later.

• @Boni What I did here was run Bopperthijis EZSkin3 plug-in on V4, then I added a second layer to the Torso, Hip and Nipples and pasted my shader into that second layer. The mask is one of Bopper's suntan masks that I modified in Photoshop (unsharp mask filter)I did not have a problem with seams showing between the torso and arm zones etc. probably because I'm using all Cycles shaders.

0_1475082543205_layer 2.jpg

0_1475082625271_2layerV4.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

Wow, that is fantastic!! Now that is what I'm looking for ... my middle of the night idea did NOT work since mc6 files ONLY replace and do NOT add too (no double checks to tick) I am really jazzed about this. So ... I can build mixed closures to this? To texturize and map?

• @Boni that is my shader in it's compound node.

• Poser Ambassadors

Oh, my gosh ... I've had it in front of me this whole time!! Sheesh. Thank you Ghostship, I will play a bit more with this. Sometimes you just have to see things from a different angle.

• Poser Ambassadors

Next challenge. I have 2 mixed closures ... I want to combine them ... How?

0_1475102903345_2016-09-28.png

Here is my set-up. I want to use the leather compound/mixed closure inside the trans-mapped area. BUT when I try to connect it anywhwere (practically all connections are grayed out, indicating not compatible.) Another obstacle.

• Poser Ambassadors

Add another - MixClosure is like the Poser Blender node. You can daisy-chain them. You add two inputs, which can be whatever you want, either complete materials or a single node, and you control how those inputs are mixed by the Fac on the MixClosure or the Blend bit of the Blender node. So the output from one MixClosure can be one of the inputs to another, and so on.

Boni, in your screenshot, your trans map is your mask. That will drive the Fac of each MixClosure node, or the Blend bit of the Poser Blender node. Does that help?

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes ... and no. I don't know HOW to daisy chain them to the Cycles Root node. The connections keep greying out ... if you could be so kind as to show a screen shot for example, it would be most helpful.

• Poser Ambassadors

Here's a quickie -

0_1475170362159_ss1.JPG

0_1475170385680_test1.png

That's three colours mixed together using spots nodes as masks. They don't need to be colours, they could be any combination of nodes (I'll try to do a more complex setup shortly).

Does that help?

• Poser Ambassadors

Very much! I will try this out! Thank you very much!

• Poser Ambassadors

@Boni - a more complex example (though the principle is exactly the same) -

0_1475176643393_ss2.JPG

The first material is a really simple shiny surface (the Glossy node). The second is a stab at rusty diffuse surface which has procedural bump & colours, base reflectance of 4% plus fresnel. Finally they are then mixed together using a procedural spots node as a mask. Throwing that into a simple scene & lighting -

0_1475176933577_test2.png

The important thing IMO is to break it down into bite size chunks - I'd make each material separately first, and then deal with the mixing/blending. For an overlay, I'd deal with how to make it easy to apply for end users as the last step.

• Poser Ambassadors

Still not working ... here are my screen shots.

1. Shows me trying to plug my shader where I would like to, but it's is grayed out.

0_1475177129348_SS_1.jpg

1. The mixclosure is in place, but the leather isn't showing at all.

0_1475177211261_SS-2.jpg

1. And finally I add a value to the fac and not only does the leather show up but it does NOT follow the trans-map.

0_1475177294721_SS-3.jpg

I've even tried to combine the trans map with the leather in a mixed closure to plug in the opacity connection on the "main node", but it grays out. The whole idea is to add textures to the transparency so that they will only show in the transparency area. I guess this was more complicated than I expected. But hea, when we figure it out it will be pretty cool, so I'm enjoying the process.

• Poser Ambassadors

We cross posted, but I really must say I love your daisy-chain ... it would totally work if I wasn't trying to apply it to a transparency.

• Poser Ambassadors

My advice - stop thinking transparency and start thinking mask! Basically because you're not using it to make a transparent area at all, you're telling Poser to use one material in one area and a different material in another area & those areas are defined by the mask/trans map.

I'm doing a quick test with Pauline, might have some screens later on which may help ...

• Poser Ambassadors

Quickie, seems to work - loaded Pauline, applied Pauline Teen material. Went into Torso in the material room & added a layer. Made very basic shader -

0_1475181991378_ss3.JPG

The mask is done very badly, but it renders in Superfly like this -

0_1475182023916_test4.png

Next I selected all the nodes in that layer except the PoserSurface root & saved them to the library with 'save selected nodes only' ticked. Then I deleted the layer, added a layer back again (so it was empty apart from the PoserSurface root) & loaded the saved material from the library. When I choose add to scene it came in ok but the Cycles Surface root was unticked; when I choose replace the PoserSurface went but the shader loaded & worked as expected.

So an end user would have to just add a new layer to the body part they want the overlay to appear on & load the material, that's it. Not too difficult to do.

The shader for the second skin could get as complex as you like; the principle seems to work ok. Hope that is of some help!

• Poser Ambassadors

This is great!!! Ok, I'm 99% there. The last, I think ... unless I come up with another obstacle ... is how to add another displacement (NOT bump ... I want the edges to be raised) to show the edges of the "suit" from within the 2nd skin area.

0_1475186838624_SS-4.jpg