Masks in Poser ... Second skin?

• Poser Ambassadors

We cross posted, but I really must say I love your daisy-chain ... it would totally work if I wasn't trying to apply it to a transparency.

• Poser Ambassadors

My advice - stop thinking transparency and start thinking mask! Basically because you're not using it to make a transparent area at all, you're telling Poser to use one material in one area and a different material in another area & those areas are defined by the mask/trans map.

I'm doing a quick test with Pauline, might have some screens later on which may help ...

• Poser Ambassadors

Quickie, seems to work - loaded Pauline, applied Pauline Teen material. Went into Torso in the material room & added a layer. Made very basic shader -

0_1475181991378_ss3.JPG

The mask is done very badly, but it renders in Superfly like this -

0_1475182023916_test4.png

Next I selected all the nodes in that layer except the PoserSurface root & saved them to the library with 'save selected nodes only' ticked. Then I deleted the layer, added a layer back again (so it was empty apart from the PoserSurface root) & loaded the saved material from the library. When I choose add to scene it came in ok but the Cycles Surface root was unticked; when I choose replace the PoserSurface went but the shader loaded & worked as expected.

So an end user would have to just add a new layer to the body part they want the overlay to appear on & load the material, that's it. Not too difficult to do.

The shader for the second skin could get as complex as you like; the principle seems to work ok. Hope that is of some help!

• Poser Ambassadors

This is great!!! Ok, I'm 99% there. The last, I think ... unless I come up with another obstacle ... is how to add another displacement (NOT bump ... I want the edges to be raised) to show the edges of the "suit" from within the 2nd skin area.

0_1475186838624_SS-4.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson As far as I can see the advantage of layers is that you can add shader enhancements without interfering with the shader already in place.

• Poser Ambassadors

Amazing info everyone. I am very appreciative of all of this and everyone's help.
    Boni, Would it be possible to post a screen shot from you last screenshot that shows where your mask is connected?
    Cheerio
    lululee

• @lululee Mask is in the shot (I marked it)
    @Boni you don't really want to plug the mask into the transparency color. The transparency color is to tint the transparent parts a color (like a stained glass window. This is not what you wanted to do with this , right?

0_1475200139560_mask4.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson Posted a screenshot with that configuration and I copied it. I assumed I needed to to insure the mask wouldn't effect the under layer. If you could show another set that still works I am open to different approach There is generally several different ways to create a certain effect.

• Poser Ambassadors

Been thinking about this ... and I vaguely recall being shown where the "color" input on transparency could take either a traditional mask and a mask with colors ... unlike its predecessor thus the "color" label. Anyone from the development team can correct me on this. Color takes masks ... whether color or not as far as I recall. Again. I can't recall who or where, but I do recall a reference to this. If someone could verify this for me I'd appreciate it, I do dislike contradicting people I admire and respect.

• @Boni the color input on the TRANSPARENCY is just that: a color input. You want to make something see-through AND you want to make those see-through parts a particular color that is where you would plug something into the color input on a transparency shader node. If you wanted to make the transparent parts have a particular pattern to their color then you would plug in a color map to the transparency color input. The mask is plugged into the BLENDER to tell the blender WHERE to make things transparent. You would not need to plug the same mask into the color input on the transparency node. In this case it does not affect the output of the transparency because the areas that are transparent are getting only the color white from the mask and therefore not making any difference to the color of the figure.

• Poser Ambassadors

@ghostship thank you for the clarification. I needed to understand that. I will fix that shortly. In the meantime I wanted to address the next issue. I have not updated the set-up yet in the next screenshot, but I will.

To move on to ... hopefully ... the final challenge. Adding a displacement (not bump because the edge of figure) So that the masked garment will look like it IS a garment and not painted onto the figure. See the edge of the legs in the render in this screenshot.

0_1475248698046_SS_5.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

OK, here's another test -

0_1475257356616_ss4.JPG

& render -

0_1475257377324_test5.png

Pauline here has 2 levels of subdivision at render & you can still see jagged artefacts. All I've done is use the mask to drive both the transparency and displacement. A better result could be achieved with a separate map for the displacement but there are still several things to be aware of. Displacement in Superfly is vertex displacement so the accuracy depends on the mesh density i.e. the more subdivided the mesh, the better quality the result. What this means is that whenever you displace against the edge flow of the mesh you will get jagged artefacts; the only way to reduce the visibility of these is to increase the density of the mesh.

So planning the mask first with reference to the underlying mesh topology will be very important. What I mean is if for example you want an armband, the edges of the mask should ideally be placed exactly on the edge loops; this will give the best result. Won't always be possible or desirable. When I say following the topology this should illustrate what I mean -

0_1475258169023_ss5.JPG

• Poser Ambassadors

@caisson what you are doing is amazing .... and for another project I will definately use this. But for an overlay, reusable second layer it will not work. BUT you have shown me the error of my ways. A displacement map depending in the mesh of the obj. is not going to work at this point. Bump is still my best bet. I can ignore the edges at the moment.