How to load an HDRI image file in Poser?

• I just download some freebie HDRI files from the web, but I've never used them in Poser before. Can anyone tell me how to apply them to a scene?

• Poser Ambassadors

In P11 there are two choices.
    You can attach an HDRI with the EnvironmentTexture node (in Cycles Texture node set) to the Background (Material room, select Background from object dropdown list).
    Set the ground to invisible and you are set

Or

You can use a skydome which uses spherical or equirectangular mapping (such as BB's environment dome) and load an HDRI map in there

For P10 the last option works as well
    0_1461108212408_hdrienv.jpg

• Hi there

In Poser Pro or Poser 10 or 9 you can use BB EnvSphere,here is link on this

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/environment-sphere

For HDRI I would highly recommend those websites

http://noemotionhdrs.net/index.html

or

http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

In Poser 11 you can use as above BB EnvSphere or you can use this

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?102682-BBenvSphere-settings-for-indoor-lightning

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @wimvdb said in How to load an HDRI image file in Poser?:

You can attach an HDRI with the EnvironmentTexture node (in Cycles Texture node set) to the Background (Material room, select Background from object dropdown list).

Since Poser 11.0.3, you can also enable Cast_Light to illuminate your scene directly with the EnvironmentTexture .

• Poser Ambassadors

The best way is to use bb envosphere. Please go through the tutorials. Once you understand it and can apply it it will expand your render options. If you have any questions. bagginsbill is here to answer them.

Here is an image from bagginsbill's site as an example.

image.jpg

• Poser Ambassadors

Added comment to my post. For Poser 11 the other posts could be much more useful at this point, but I still believe bb's sphere is an amazing addition to your runtime.

• Poser Ambassadors

0_1461112511037_HDRI_Background_test1.jpg

This is a test I just rendered doing the background technique suggested. Nice.

• Thanks for asking this question Earl, as I haven't as yet had success doing so. I do have BB's EnvSphere, so probably should get used to working with it in P9.

I'm also gong to try the suggestions here in PP11 and see what I come up with. ;)

• Okay, I have followed the instructions given and I'm getting some interesting renders, but two things:

1. I don't have PP11 yet, but it's good to get that information anyway. I do have Blender, so I think I can use this info on my Cycles renders though.

2. Like Boni's render, I'm getting an inordinate amount of blue tint in my render and it's darkening the figure not lighting it.

• Poser Ambassadors

The important thing is to use a real HDRI - which is an HDR image with the proper mapping.
    The HDRI contain much more information as just the colormap, it hold also information about the brightness. A sun is much brighter as a white sky.

To give you an example, in the attached images here I use no lights except the HDRI. It uses BB's environment sphere with an HDRI you all have - the HDRVFX_pond_01_v_002.HDR which can be found in Poser textures folder (HDRVFX).
    It works very well in both firefly and superfly

This is superfly
    0_1461120209588_obigirl.jpg

And this is firefly
    0_1461120264250_obigirlff.jpg

• Really nice Wim!

• Well, I did have to use a light or two to get this, but I think's pretty good for my first HDRI render.!(0_1461122204342_Guardian Angel.jpg

• Since Poser11 SR3 you can also the background node as a Cycles environment texture, I had a post about this at RDNA and CGBytes. Other people have worked with it and improved it.!!
    Here is my latest material room setup

0_1461190807873_Background setup.JPG

A HDRI-file must be loaded in the image input of the EnvironmentTexture node.
    You can use the value input in the HSV node to lower the light.
    The Y-value in the rotation input of the mapping node, can be used to rotate the image, the values have to be in radian, so 3,141593 in 180 degrees.
    The X-value of the scaling input of the mapping node has to be -1, otherwise the image is mirrored.
    The Z-value of the scaling input, can be used to zoom in or zoom out.

Here's a sample (HDRI and one infinite light)
    0_1461191201000_Background render.jpg

• I was trying to use the EnvironmentTexture method and finding the rotation does NOT work at all. I tried the X, Y, and Z values. When I render the background did not change. The scale does NOT work as well. I am using the latest version of SR for Poser 11.

Am I missing something?

• @willdial
    The background hdri environment works only in foreground rendering. If you use background rendering or remote rendering it won't work. Which is very annoying in mine opinion.

• Poser Ambassadors

@bopperthijs have you reported this as a bug to SM? It definitely needs to be looked into.

• @Boni
    I've mentioned it in the poser 11 sr.5 thread, because before sr5 background rendering wasn't available.
    As far as I know it isn't so much a bug, but it hasn't been implemented in background rendering and queue manager rendering yet.
    So we will have to wait until the next service release.

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes, one of those things that I KNEW but didn't register in my silly mind. Carry on. ;)