Textures for V4++ figure.

• Poser Pro 11.
    Hi all.
    Have a question about V4 skin textures.
    I have more than a few freeby V4 textures but im not happy with most of them.
    They are to much of a single colour with very little shading and detail.

Is there a general opinion about any particular v4 texture that stands out that you can recommend i look at.

Ideally id like to have a straight forward caucasian/western skin texture with reflective eye surfaces and hi res.
    Obviously id like there to be a free texture but do not mind checking out any commercial products.
    Thanks for any advice.

• you get what you pay for. Id at least check out one of the many characters you can purchase at Content Paradise or Rendo.

• @poserprofan Reciecup has released some great free black characters. Googling her should bring them up pretty quickly.

• Thanks

@ghostship said in Textures for V4++ figure.:

you get what you pay for. Id at least check out one of the many characters you can purchase at Content Paradise or Rendo.

Thanks @ghostship
    Had a quick look at both sites and see there are lots of pages to look at so will spend some time tomorrow checking things out.

• @willshetterly said in Textures for V4++ figure.:

@poserprofan Reciecup has released some great free black characters. Googling her should bring them up pretty quickly.

Hi willshetterly
    Not really into dark skins at the moment as im focusing on trying to aquire the best there is for my V4 character.
    The figures/textures on most commercial sites are generally ok with some really good textures but none compare
    to the "Emily head" that is here at this link------
    http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/DigitalEmily/
    Once i downloaded the free head object and texture files i spent about 2 weeks trying to get Emily to look as good as the original.
    Did not quite get it spot on but near enough.
    Once you have worked with the best its difficult to work up any enthusiasm for anything less.
    So what im asking for is a skin texture that is as near to the Emily texture as possible and obviously the texture must be full head
    and body. I just wish the Emily head texture was a full body texture.

I do have 2 darker skin textures already. One for V4 [South American tone] and one for my Apollo figure [black skin tone] both of
    which are pretty decent. So im ok for now for dark textures but will keep in mind the site you refered to for future reference.

• @poserprofan one thing I'd say about that Emily thing (I've seen it before) is that they are cheating quite a bit. They are pasting the digitized mesh OVER the original video...You are seeing her real blouse, hair, arms and background. Not really a fair way to present how "real" your 3d mesh/textures/animation looks.

Yes, the textures are important and you really wont find Hollywood quality realistic textures on the net for free. After you find a good texture set you will need to work on your lighting because if it isn't lit well then it won't look real no matter how good the textures look.

What to look for and look out for in textures:
    Don't get anything that looks "painted." There are some great vendors over at rendo and have some amazing stuff but some of those vendors are Photoshop jockeys and over-work their textures to the point that no matter how you light or render a figure it will always look like a painted doll. If you like the over-all look of a character's morph then that is fine, just know that you will have to use a different texture set to get it to look real. Maybe that is the look you are after which is OK too.watch out for product images that they have pasted a picture of real hair into. Just focus on the figure and ignore those shots because they can skew your opinion about the character. Look to see if the character has baked-in reflections, especially on the lips. You will have to paint those out in Photoshop later to fix them.

As I said up the way there you can mix and match. If you like a particular character's morph but a texture set from another then mix them. Keep in mind that much of how the face looks will depend on the eyebrows so you might have to do some work to paste the eyebrows from one texture map onto another.

Here is an example of a character that I Photoshoped the eyebrows from one texture map onto another.

0_1475358581725_Studio Test 3.jpg

• In my opinion, the best skin textures for V4 were danae's Metropolitan Collection over at Renderosity. All of the characters in that collection are stunning and done very well.

• @Glitterati3D You might need to create bump maps for Danae's stuff. I had to as I recall.

• @poserprofan said in Textures for V4++ figure.:

Ideally id like to have a straight forward caucasian/western skin texture with reflective eye surfaces and hi res.
    Obviously id like there to be a free texture but do not mind checking out any commercial products.
    Thanks for any advice.

Most free human skin textures for figures are bad... There, I said it. I won't apologize for saying it, either. Not all of them are, just "most."

Buy everything that Danae has ever done for V4. Do it.
    Buy the "Elite" texture sets for V4 from DAZ. Do it.

Right now, IIRC, all of Danae's texture sets are on sale at Renderosity for cheap, cheap, cheap. Now is a GREAT opportunity for you to grab them all! You can not be disappointed in buying either of these lines of textures. I'm serious - They're that friggin' good.

Moving on, I will also say that in order to get human skin textures looking good in your renders, you really have to spend some time learning the various "how tos" of your chosen Renderer. The dreaded "plastic look" is a problem in many older texture sets used with Firefly. SSS helps a great deal, but it can be tricky to master.

Snarlgribbly's SSS shader script is a "must have" if you're going to be working with SSS to make more realistic renders. Get it here: http://snarlygribbly.org/snarlyspace/ezskin.html (It's also at CGBytes, but people had difficulty logging in there.)

Both Danae's texture/mat pose sets and Elites have advanced shaders, but EZSKin can really make these textures shine with much more control over SSS features. EZSkin 3 also works with Cycles (Superfly) shader nodes, so it's perfect if you're rendering in Superfly. (Works great in Firefly, too.)

PS - Some of Danae's sets could use bump maps, as was stated above. But, one can substitute the V4 Elite bump maps or even the V4 Hi Res bump map for most work. Also, do not discount your own ability to generate bump maps yourself with Photoshop or GIMP (Free). Search around for how-tos with bump maps and, IIRC, there's a great thread on Renderosity and probably one on RDNA that gives some technical advice about creating bump maps. (It's not just about desaturating a texture map...)

• Thanks for all for advice and help given much appreciated.
    So far ive looked at------

renderosity.com
    The Metropolitan Collection.
    [These 2 are now in the site basket].
    Dublin V4.2 by danae
    Lyon and Paris V4.2

daz3d.com
    "Elite" texture sets for V4 from DAZ.
    [This one also in the site basket].
    V4 Elite Bundle.

Have also downloaded the Snarlgribbly's SSS shader script.

Still have to check out Content Paradise and Rendo.

If no more suggestions are posted over the next couple of days then i will commit myself to purchasing the renderosity and daz files.

Looks as if im going to be busy for a while.

• @poserprofan

Just as a side note: Danae's Bliss Vision Hair for Vic3 is gorgeous, too. And it may be easily positioned on any character.
    Example here with Sydni, an Aiko3 character:
    Sydni

• @poserprofan said in Textures for V4++ figure.:...

If no more suggestions are posted over the next couple of days then i will commit myself to purchasing the renderosity and daz files.

Check the dates on the sales! I think Renderosity's sale ends on Monday and DAZ's may end there as well. Right now, they're at the lowest discounts one usually sees them. These sets do go on sale fairly frequently, but I'd hate for you to miss your opportunity right now.

PS - "I just picked up "Oxygen for Poser/DS" from DAZ's sale. It used to be regarded as a very good texture set, listed at RDNA, but I never picked it up. It's on sale as well, so you may want to take a look at it. If I can't recommend it to you after I muck around with it for awhile, I'll come back before the day is done and let you know. Vanilla Sky, also previously listed at RDNA, is on sale as well, but I didn't pick that up. It was also a highly regarded package for V4 at one time.

• @Y-Phil

Extremely nice transmaps! That's the thing about hair models for "realism" - If the creator has excellent transmaps, you can make "Carrot-Colored" hair look realistic... :)

(Good mats, specular node setups, etc, are also necessary, but they're worthless without good transmaps.)

• @morkonan

Note that this hair figure has been "ezskined"

• Thanks for extra info.
    Checked out "Oxygen for Poser/DS" from DAZ' and liked what i saw.
    Texture now in the my Daz basket.
    Think id best take your advice to purchase items today, Sunday, in case the sale
    does finish on Monday.

• @Y-Phil said in Textures for V4++ figure.:

@morkonan

!!

Reaaaalllly...? I've never tried it with hair, despite its own recommendation. I don't do much SSS or even PBR rendering. (I still use FaceOff's V4 Realism kit in Firefly and I'm not ashamed of that... :) )

But, if anything in the world will improve anything to do with hair in Poser, I'll try it! Thanks for the headsup!

• @morkonan

You're welcome ~smile~

Note that from time to time, with ezskin, you'll have to change some settings under "Edit other", because you can find nice hair texture that are too luminous

• @morkonan said in Textures for V4++ figure.:

@Y-Phil said in Textures for V4++ figure.:

@morkonan

!!

Reaaaalllly...? I've never tried it with hair, despite its own recommendation. I don't do much SSS or even PBR rendering. (I still use FaceOff's V4 Realism kit in Firefly and I'm not ashamed of that... :) )

But, if anything in the world will improve anything to do with hair in Poser, I'll try it! Thanks for the headsup!

Why fake SSS when Firefly has had real SSS since PP2012? Not trying to shame you just think you need to get up to speed on your tech. The real SSS looks better anyway...

• Hi there

As above Danae have best textures,I would add MDD(Maddelirium) have good skins too,I'm using her skins mostly for V4 with few modifications and SV7 have few good skins and not at least Tempest3D

EZSkin is must for me and really its great plugin and with BB EnvSphere you have two powerful tools

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• @ghostship said in Textures for V4++ figure.:

Why fake SSS when Firefly has had real SSS since PP2012? Not trying to shame you just think you need to get up to speed on your tech. The real SSS looks better anyway...

Speed, that's the only reason. I've been using EZSkin/SSS since it came out, but I don't render a bunch and, when I do, I just want a decent render with decent speed to check the work. By not using SSS, I skip an entire render segment and save a lot of time and can still get decent results.

@Y-Phil said in Textures for V4++ figure.:

@morkonan

Note that from time to time, with ezskin, you'll have to change some settings under "Edit other", because you can find nice hair texture that are too luminous

Thanks for the headsup on that. I'll muck about with it later this eve.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.