Repost useful threads from RDNA.

• Poser Ambassadors

I would like to see some of our gurus repost some of the great tips and tools they had over at RDNA here such as.

1. coloured glass
    2. Skin shader from Blender Thread...
    3. Bricks?
    4. Pearls: revisited
    5. Laying a floor ...

There are many more, but you get the idea. Things that can be soon lost we can recover here.

• @Boni I agree, as I'd hate to see all that wonderful knowledge collected over the years be lost forever.

• I saw this discussed somewhere :D The problem is privacy/copyright. obtaining permission from all who replied to the thread could be a nightmare.

• There was something about that over at RDNA, but there's a simpler solution. Just link to the thread in question.

• Poser Team

Linking will work for now but whenever the forum at Runtime does close, it will be gone and all we will have here is a dead link.

I am going to update some of my tutorials and put them here in full, that way there wont be a dead link issue in the future.

• Poser Ambassadors

Most of the people involved with these threads are already here ... which I suppose I should have made a point of mentioning. I'm thinking of Tony Vilters's work with Pauline as well as Shvrdavid's. All of bagginsbill's stuff and he is here. Snarly's stuff ... see we have the majority of originators here already. It's just a matter of rebuilding the tips, tools and tutorials to tag and have available. This was just to bring everyone's attention to the idea to get the ball rolling. I know I have left key figures out ... for that I do apologize these great names are off the top of my head. My point is we have the resources here (and more are coming in daily) and we can make this the best and most robust Poser resource and community around. The more we can do in the beginning the stronger this site will become as far as I can see from my experience over the past 20 years seeing forums come and go. Just IMHO. :smiley:

• Poser Team

@Boni said in Repost useful threads from RDNA.:

My point is we have the resources here (and more are coming in daily) and we can make this the best and most robust Poser resource and community around.

Yes, we can.

That is why I want to update my tutorials and post them here. I plan on making more as well.
    Sure, it will take some time to do so. All of us know it wont happen over night, but it will happen over time.

Many things have transpired in the community over the years, that have affected it one way or the other.
    I plan on doing whatever I can to make this the best Poser community going.
    And I am sure that many others will do the same.

I have said this before, and it still holds true.
    We are friends that have never met, that pull together when the need arises.

• Poser Ambassadors

Perfectly said. No site wars or comparisons ... JUST Poser centered. And we are all primarily Poser people. I feel comfortable here, cuz I already know everyone. It's a welcome home after being exiled.

• Yeah, not me. I'm tired of marketplaces just deciding to wipe out years of knowledge and help on a whim. This whole thread is especially rich coming from a Renderosity moderator after they wiped out years and years of knowledge, not just ONCE but TWICE.

So, now we should all just do it over again, eh?

• Poser Ambassadors

I understand your feelings ... and don't disagree. Yes, I am a moderator at Rendo. I am not however a policy creator and came "on board" during the last dramatic upgrade. I've come here to escape the drama and concentrate on Poser. My work there is to moderate the Poser forum, check images and member behavior for TOS violation and honestly do my best to help the users. No drama and I avoid conflict. Those here who know me know that.

• Poser Team

I understand your frustration Traci, and you are not the only one that has gone thru this.
    All of us have.

I look at it a bit differently, even thou I understand what you mean.
    From a perspective of doing what I can so that users have a place to put things, share, learn, and laugh together. I do this for all of us, not just myself.

I have had no control over sites that have closed, folded up, etc.
    Yes I mod here and there, have admin'ed here and there. But the final decisions were never mine to make.

Traci, you helped out on more than a few projects that I was involved with.
    You gave a lot to the community.
    I hope that I can rekindle that in you, simply because I know it is there.

• No drama and no conflict, I agree with that . I got sick and tired of every thread that got derailed at Rendo. Since their latest TOS they made the site rather useless for the serious poserusers. RDNA still has some valuable forums, but the question is for how long...

I'm afraid we have to rebuilt all the usefull poser information from scratch. in the past years I made a lot of screendumps and paper copies of for me interesting items. So I will see if I can post some of the still relevant subjects again. I have three folders and a drawer filled with poseritems. In the next weeks I will wade through it, to see what is usefull.
    And then again there is still the problem about the copyrights, I will have to ask the original poster permission to repost it.

On the other hand , I also have a lot of new stuff for Poser11, the question is where do I put my energy in.

• I can speak only for myself but regarding my postings in the other forum, i posted there because it was clearly marked as the official Smith Micro forum. Now the official forum found a new home and i do expect that my postings are moved to the new home.

• Poser Ambassadors

Would it be feasible to move those handy tutorial/development threads, and delete posts from anyone who isn't a member here?

• Poser Ambassadors

A really great idea, it would be a real shame if all those precious informations vanished away :/

• Poser Ambassadors

I'm all for retyping everything I've ever done but that will take years.

I don't mind if other people grab my posts and images that were basically tutorial stuff and repost them for me.

I've been meaning to do some but I'm really seriously overwhelmed with work.

I was going to, for example, for the billionth time explain how to make a mirror shader in white and also gold. I also wanted to point out clean polished metal has no difffuse, and the stupid Gold shader in Poser 11 has diffuse in the FireFly version, which means it is bad and should not be in the damn package.

• By the way, BB, do you still have that BBGlossy shader? I found the thread last night, but all those links are broken.

• Poser Ambassadors

@eclark1849 Yeah but there are umpteen versions. Which one you'd want depends on whether you have Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, or 11 and whether you have Pro or not.

Note - the earlier ones work in the later versions of Poser, but they carry way more nodes than necessary. For example, 21 nodes to do Fresnel, or use the Fresnel_Blend (single node). There's lots of stuff like that.

• @bagginsbill I like to get it if you don't mind. 9+ and up should do both pro and regular.

• Something I've been wondering for a while, so I'm just going to throw it out there. Would it make any sense at all to start something like a "Material Database"?

Rather than all these different forums with all these long lost threads, would a searchable database format be more useful? One place to host a wealth of information about building materials in Poser?

I realize the scope of what I'm suggesting, I really do, and I have no idea how to get something like that off the ground. But it's been sitting in the back of my mind for a while, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Looks like your connection to Graphics Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.