Cached renders not sticking (PP11)

• I noticed this a while ago, not a deal breaker but I thought I'd mention it.
    I used to have cached renders set to 10, but Poser now only holds 3 (the rest are blank). I changed the threshold to 25, now Poser holds 9 renders before ditching the rest. Anyone else seeing this?

• W7 ultimate, i5 PP 11. 25 max renders cached, all are there.

• @piersyf said in Cached renders not sticking (PP11):

I noticed this a while ago, not a deal breaker but I thought I'd mention it.
    I used to have cached renders set to 10, but Poser now only holds 3 (the rest are blank). I changed the threshold to 25, now Poser holds 9 renders before ditching the rest. Anyone else seeing this?

Did you try to delete all the file in Poser's RenderCache folder?

• @piersyf No, I am not experiencing this problem.

• @Y-Phil

I thought I'd tried that, but had another go.

1. deleted the files from the render cache
    2. spent an hour doing a bunch of short renders to fill the cache
    3. scrolled back through the renders; all were present.
    4. went to bed.
    5. this morning, opened Poser and checked the renders. Only the last showed, all others are uniform grey.
      6)Checked the render cache again. All there, all seem to have a reasonable amount of data.
      Selected 2 .exr's at random and opened them in Krita (That works!). The exr's are NOT corrupt.

Conclusion; Poser is not reading all the exr's after a restart.

• @piersyf

I've had a similar problem, once. Here is what I did:

• in Poser's preferences: render cache=1
    • closed Poser
    • emptied its RenderCache folder
    • restarted Poser and set its render cache setting back to 25

• @Y-Phil
    Cheers. I'll give it a try.

• Didn't work. Poser only opened the last 2 in the cache. I might have to file a bug report.

• @piersyf Sorry about that... I suppose that in the mean time, you have restarted your computer, just to be sure that it isn't a problem with Windows' resources...

• Updated drivers, rebooted, did your process again (rebooting at every stage), still happening. The crazy thing is that it reads the last few... if it wasn't reading any exr's I could understand, but just a random number at the top of the list sounds like something screwy in preferences.

• @piersyf I'm really sorry not to be able to help you more: I don't have more ideas. As a developer, I suspect a problem with resource management, but where?

• Have you tried downloading the Poser installer again?

• No, it's not a big enough issue to reinstall. I can still access the cache through Photoshop and Krita, which is where the images would end up anyway if I wanted to use them. It's just a loss of the browsing capability. As Y-Phil suggests, if we knew the possible causes we could make the software more solid. Reinstalling just hides it.

• OK, got the render cache back. I've had numerous crashes lately (delete a character... crash. Attach a node in the materials room... crash), so figured it may have happened enough to have scrambled some code somewhere. Unlikely, but anyway, I reinstalled. Made no difference; STILL no render cache.
    What I ended up doing was creating a folder on my desktop and moving all the Poser ini. and various prefs files to it then restarting Poser. I left the render cach folder alone. On launch, all the renders were available.
    Next, I brought the old library files, pref scene file and the ini file back one at a time, relaunching Poser each time. When I had it back to the layout I wanted, libraries visible, all renders in the cache visible, I just deleted the rest.
    NONE of the 'normal' files were corrupt; ini, library, preferred state, all worked. It can only have been a corruption in one of the other files, maybe a temp file that wouldn't go away on shut down.

NONE of the 'normal' files were corrupt; ini, library, preferred state, all worked. It can only have been a corruption in one of the other files, maybe a temp file that wouldn't go away on shut down.

You may be speaking of Poser's default scene?

• I doubt that. I don't use the stock default scene, never have, and since returning to my own default scene I've not lost access to the render cache. Not sure what you mean...

I doubt that. I don't use the stock default scene, never have, and since returning to my own default scene I've not lost access to the render cache. Not sure what you mean...

I was just wondering if Poser's default scene had a problem. It's called preferredState.pz3 and it's stored in:
    %APPDATA%\Poser Pro\11

• Ah, no that one was fine too... brought it back in with no problems.

• @piersyf said in [Cached renders not sticking (PP11)].. Anyone else seeing this?

I have the same issue. At least, I think I do... Anyway, I do have an issue with cached renders!

If I tab to the Render screen, I can not cycle through cached Renders.
    However, if I then open up the "Recent Renders" window/dropdown, it will refresh my cached render list and then, and only then, will I be able to cycle through/compare them past the most recent two. (This refreshes the list for the "Render" window, as well, allowing it to display the recently cached renders without the Recent Render window being used/active.)

I have deleted all prefs, etc, and doing so only resulted in a temporary fix. Once I exited P11 again, after it wrote new configs, the cached renders disappeared from the Render window until I, once again, opened up the Recent Render dropdown.

IOW - The "Recent Render" dropdown/window always works to reveal recent cached renders. However, the "Render" tab/window will not remember the cached renders past the first and second ones unless the Recent Render window is first displayed. (Even if I muck about with the preferences settings or delete/rewrite the prefs files, etc.)

Not a big deal, but an annoying one. In any event, the Recent Render window always works.

• That's funny, I just discovered the same thing! Sounds like we have identical issues, which suggests a commonality somewhere other than Poser (seeing as so few others have reported the same problem). So for completeness. I'm running Windows 7 Pro SP1, Poser Pro 11 SP5, latest Nvidia drivers for my GTX970, and I have Display Fusion Pro 8 running in the background. I also use Firefox as my default browser (often open while a render is running).
    I've had a few random graphics issues in other programs of late (one game on Steam in particular).