Cached renders not sticking (PP11)

• I doubt that. I don't use the stock default scene, never have, and since returning to my own default scene I've not lost access to the render cache. Not sure what you mean...

• @piersyf said in Cached renders not sticking (PP11):

I doubt that. I don't use the stock default scene, never have, and since returning to my own default scene I've not lost access to the render cache. Not sure what you mean...

I was just wondering if Poser's default scene had a problem. It's called preferredState.pz3 and it's stored in:
    %APPDATA%\Poser Pro\11

• Ah, no that one was fine too... brought it back in with no problems.

• @piersyf said in [Cached renders not sticking (PP11)].. Anyone else seeing this?

I have the same issue. At least, I think I do... Anyway, I do have an issue with cached renders!

If I tab to the Render screen, I can not cycle through cached Renders.
    However, if I then open up the "Recent Renders" window/dropdown, it will refresh my cached render list and then, and only then, will I be able to cycle through/compare them past the most recent two. (This refreshes the list for the "Render" window, as well, allowing it to display the recently cached renders without the Recent Render window being used/active.)

I have deleted all prefs, etc, and doing so only resulted in a temporary fix. Once I exited P11 again, after it wrote new configs, the cached renders disappeared from the Render window until I, once again, opened up the Recent Render dropdown.

IOW - The "Recent Render" dropdown/window always works to reveal recent cached renders. However, the "Render" tab/window will not remember the cached renders past the first and second ones unless the Recent Render window is first displayed. (Even if I muck about with the preferences settings or delete/rewrite the prefs files, etc.)

Not a big deal, but an annoying one. In any event, the Recent Render window always works.

• That's funny, I just discovered the same thing! Sounds like we have identical issues, which suggests a commonality somewhere other than Poser (seeing as so few others have reported the same problem). So for completeness. I'm running Windows 7 Pro SP1, Poser Pro 11 SP5, latest Nvidia drivers for my GTX970, and I have Display Fusion Pro 8 running in the background. I also use Firefox as my default browser (often open while a render is running).
    I've had a few random graphics issues in other programs of late (one game on Steam in particular).

That's funny, I just discovered the same thing! Sounds like we have identical issues, which suggests a commonality somewhere other than Poser (seeing as so few others have reported the same problem). So for completeness. I'm running Windows 7 Pro SP1, Poser Pro 11 SP5, latest Nvidia drivers for my GTX970, and I have Display Fusion Pro 8 running in the background. I also use Firefox as my default browser (often open while a render is running).
    I've had a few random graphics issues in other programs of late (one game on Steam in particular).

Win7 Pro, patched up. P11 all patches. Nvidia Geforce, patched up. Happens no matter if P11 is running solo or I've got everything under the sun running concurrently.

It's a read/permissions issue, I'm sure of it, but I don't know how uncommon it could be. (Well, not sure - It could just be a bug with the Render window/tab history, which may be more likely.) I imagine it may have something to do with the fact that I almost exclusively use an alternate runtime. This "might" be confusing the Render Window, but not confusing the Recent Render dropdown, since it only reads/loads those recent renders when it is activated/running. That "refresh" fixes the Render tab/window list by feeding it the correct location reference. (Just my assumption.)

ie: Something is not providing the correct reference for the Render window for its recent renders, but the Recent Render window/dropdown corrects the reference problem. In any event, the recent renders are not lost, it's just their location that's forgotten by that Render tab.

PS - No video hardware or similar issue should cause this. And, as long as the OS gives Poser adequate permissions to write/read it's own caches, the OS version shouldn't cause a problem either, IMO.

• @morkonan
    I agree, it shouldn't be a problem. The permissions obviously exist or the program wouldn't be accessing the first 1 or 2 in the cache. The fault is in Poser. I was just looking to see if there were any conditions that make it an exclusive condition for us when it seems others aren't experiencing it.
    I'm not sure what you mean by alternate runtime (as opposed to external?), but I'm using the library set up I have always used, and I've not had this issue before. I didn't notice it on Poser Pro 11 before SR5 either (doesn't mean it wasn't there, just didn't notice it).

I'm not sure what you mean by alternate runtime (as opposed to external?), ..

Yeah, sorry "External" is what I meant.

I know that I did not have this issue before the very last Poser update, so it's got to be connected to that. There were no other changes on my system that could have or should have caused it. Others may not be noticing it because they use the Render/Recent Renders tab/window differently.

Note: Do you use the default Firefly Render script or do you use Direct3D's Firefly Render script accessed from the Scripts menu? The D3D script had a bug in it that would crash Poser when Background rendering was turned on for Superfly renders. That was "fixed" in the latest patch, so maybe something is going on with that and cached renders?

• I used to use D3D's script exclusively until Superfly came out. As I now render exclusively in Superfly I haven't touched D3D's script as I find it gives no better control over the renders and is (was) very unreliable in its output. I use the default.

I used to use D3D's script exclusively until Superfly came out. As I now render exclusively in Superfly I haven't touched D3D's script as I find it gives no better control over the renders and is (was) very unreliable in its output. I use the default.

Yeah, I think adding the Superfly renderer to it was just a kludge to allow it to be called from there. However, IIRC, if you set up the Superfly rendering options in the default Poser menu for it, it will get "remembered" (Stored in the superflyxxx.?? file) and, from then on, you can use the D3D script and it will call those saved values for the Superfly render.

The D3D also now allows "background" rendering for the Superfly renderer, so it's worth using just for that as long as it calls the right stored values. (You can't render in the background with the default Superfly Poser options, but you can with the D3D script, IIRC.)