Poser Pro 11 and Nvidia cuda cards?.

• [It seems i posted this post in "Comments and Feedback" by mistake
    so ignore that posting].

Hi everyone.
    Anyone bought any of the new Nvidia Pascal range of GPUs .
    I think there is a 1080 version and there is the new Pascal Titan x.
    There is also the Pro version P 5000 which is not out yet.
    Just wandering what your experience is in terms of speed
    increase with Poser Pro 11.
    Do they speed things up a lot or no were near the claimed 10x plus.

• Poser Ambassadors

I have a Gigabyte 1070, and it does well. As far as 10x faster, no it is not.
    My 1070 is faster than a Titan, but more like 1.3 times faster.
    A 1080 uses better memory than the 1070, and will be about twice as fast as a Titan.

Keep in mind that Cuda 8 was finalized about a week ago, and basically no programs use it yet.
    Drivers will be updated to reflect Cuda 8, etc.

That may make a 10 x difference in speed on some benchmarks, but rendering wont be one that is 10x unless you get a P6000 or higher card.

• Thanks shvrdavid for info.
    At least i have some basic idea of what i can realistically expect if i bought into an Nvidia Cuda GPU.
    Looks as if the 1080 would be a good option.
    Interesting that there is going to be an update to Cuda 8 i did not no that.
    I have been checking out the 2 top Pro cards the p5000 and the p6000.
    Both are due for release by the end of this month.
    The only one i have a price for is the p5000 which has a pre order price of £1944.98 at scan.co.uk.
    Heaven knows how much the P6000 is going to be.
    Never the less im giving some seriouse consideration to the p5000 even more so now that you infer that the Pro versions will be so much better/faster.

The only downside is there "Open cl" feature has always been at version 1.2. They have never updated it to "Open cl version 2".
    Nvidia do not mention in there specifications which version they have in there latest Pro cards. Would be great if its "Open cl version 2"
    Maybe there will be more info on this when the Pro cards are actually available.
    The Open cl aspect is important to me as Poser Pro 11 and other software i have will eventually be Open cl compliant.
    To have Cuda and Open cl v2 on the same GPU would be great.

• Poser Ambassadors

Pascal chips support Compute Capability 6.0 (GP100 only), 6.1 (GP102, GP104, GP106)

If they are focusing on Compute 6.1 and still retaining OpenCl 1.2, that's probably what we are going to get.

Nvidia pushes CUDA developement, But not so much in the OpenCl department.

• I sent an email today to scan.co.uk. to see if they can say which version of Open cl is featured on the
    Nvidia p5000 they are advertising. Hopefully i will get an answer tomorrow afternoon [Monday].
    Will let you know what they say.

• @poserprofan

Hi there

Not sure if its worth to get P6000 over two Titan X Pascal,those cards will have more CUDA cores what you want in rendering and memory only can be downside as you will have 12GB which is in most cases enough,but this depends what renders are you do

I don't think NVIDIA will support OpenCL 2.0 anytime soon,as GTX10xx series still using or have OCL 1.2,they push as shrdavid said CUDA and OCL in many ways will negate CUDA as OCL 2.0 supports or have function multi GPU or in any words if yours GPU have 8GB and second GPU have 6GB,you will have 14GB rendering memory

Regarding Poser Pro and OCL,I just don't think we will have this,I would love that as this would open new frontier,I asked them to ask AMD regarding their renderer which is OpenCL renderer and which will be bundled with Blender too

Regarding the if those cards will be faster than TXP or GTX1080 not sure,they're clocked less than GTX or TXP and in rendering core clock and CUDA cores make difference,only difference you will see in pro apps like is AutoCAD or Revit,Inventor and many apps which really needs FP64/FP32

Regarding the OpenCL and development,this development has stalled as NVIDIA is stuck in OCL 1.2 and OCL 2.0 only at moment support fully AMD GPU and SW which do use OCL 2.0 are few there and many developers are trying rather creating CUDA cross compiler have look on Otoy(Octane Render) which pulled down OCL version and they are creating CUDA cross compiler though the GPUOpen SW

Due this I still feel dubious and doubtful if there will be new OCL or at the end NVIDIA at the end will supports OCL 2.0

And regarding the Scan,you are in good hands there,I'm using only them for PC builds like for me and for my friends,they're best and shipping they have very fast there

And what card to get,Titan X Pascal is best,but still I would wait a bit as GTX 1080Ti is and will be here,because AMD will be releasing their new HBM2 cards and if you are really thinking to get GTX1080 then I would go with Zotac or ASUS STRIX series,stay away from Founders Edition or stock blower style GPU as they're loud and run very hot,best card what I've tested to the date has been Zotac GTX 1080 AMP,Palit GTX 1080 Super Jetstream,those two cards are so quiet under load and they run pretty much at 70-75C,plus good is too GamerRock version and ASUS STRIX which is running very quiet and is running quiet cool too

Titan X Pascal with stock blower is running hot there and without the going with water cool,is not worth as those cards are running very hot,I've earlier Titan X Maxwell GPU which is running om custom cooling with Raijintek Morpheus II and GPU in rendering never goes above 45C right now and is so quiet,previously with stock cooling,my temps has been in 75-80's with high fan profile and GPU is very loud there above 55% fan profile,then I tried EVGA Hybrid which hasn't lasted too long there,this has failed after 6 months of use(pump failed) and previously my H100i V2 failed,due this I'm now using Noctua NH-D15 air cooler and GPU is cooled too with air

Hope this helps there

Thanks,Jura

@shvrdavid

Is Poser Pro 11 updated for new CUDA kernel and are there any changes to GPU kernel if I can ask ?

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

• Poser Ambassadors

@shvrdavid

Is Poser Pro 11 updated for new CUDA kernel and are there any changes to GPU kernel if I can ask ?

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

I have been rendering with Cycles and Superfly on my 1070, both engines use an older shader model which works on pascal cards.

I have the Cuda 8 kit but have not read thru everything yet.
    Not even sure the latest drivers support all of it yet either.

• @shvrdavid said in Poser Pro 11 and Nvidia cuda cards?.:

@shvrdavid

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

I have been rendering with Cycles and Superfly on my 1070, both engines use an older shader model which works on pascal cards.

I have the Cuda 8 kit but have not read thru everything yet.
    Not even sure the latest drivers support all of it yet either.

Oh OK then,as rendering on my Titan X is now lot slower,please have look on my thread,but I think is down to the Separate rendering process,with checked Render in Separate process rendering is OK in new update,with unchecked is lot slower,painfully slow

Yes I've to new CUDA 8 toolkit and I will be doing few test later on too,I will have GTX1080 and TXP for testing and will see if its worth to get those cards

Still no news too on Pascal OS X support

I didn't tried to render in Poser with new Pascal cards,only in few SW and speed there is OK under OCL,I would say is faster than AMD and tried too Octane where still is not properly supported,hopefully they will sort that when they will get hands on CUDA 8

Thanks,Jura

• Got a reply from scan.co.uk about which version of Open cl there latest Pascal GPUs have.
    [1080 /Titanx and there Pro versions P5000 P6000].
    scan.co.uk contacted Nvidia on my behalf and Nvidia replied saying that "We can confirm NVIDIA are still using OpenCL 1.2"

jura11
    Thanks for all the extra detail and advisory info you posted. All noted.

As for your advice to wait for the GTX 1080Ti and there will be new AMD HBM2 cards .
    It seems were always waiting for stuff to come out its an endless waiting game.
    Still ill wait a bit longer and see what the GTX 1080Ti and AMD cards have to offer.

• @poserprofan said in Poser Pro 11 and Nvidia cuda cards?.:

Got a reply from scan.co.uk about which version of Open cl there latest Pascal GPUs have.
    [1080 /Titanx and there Pro versions P5000 P6000].
    scan.co.uk contacted Nvidia on my behalf and Nvidia replied saying that "We can confirm NVIDIA are still using OpenCL 1.2"

jura11
    Thanks for all the extra detail and advisory info you posted. All noted.

As for your advice to wait for the GTX 1080Ti and there will be new AMD HBM2 cards .
    It seems were always waiting for stuff to come out its an endless waiting game.
    Still ill wait a bit longer and see what the GTX 1080Ti and AMD cards have to offer.

@poserprofan

I thought so NVIDIA will be supporting right now OCL 1.2 as it makes more sense for them,until OCL 2.0 will be supported by more and more SW or rather they want protect their CUDA API

Regarding the GTX1080 or get Titan X Pascal or P6000/P5000,right now I've ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP! edition which I got,in Poser Pro 11 not sure,performance with Titan X in tandem and rendering,not sure,its not faster as I thought so,SuperFly engine still doesn't taking full advantage of GPU used and still there is room for improvement,temps I'm getting pretty much in 65C range as max with 65% and card is very.very quiet

I would expect there will be Ti version,as Ti usually is released after Titan version and usually is cut down Titan with less memory and less CUDA cores,but performance should be on par with Titan X Pascal

New GTX1080 is faster than old Titan X,be warned,Scan and many other companies only sells old Maxwell Titan X,Pascal Titan X is only can be bought through the NVIDIA website

Regarding what new GPU will bring us,hopefully if AMD will come with their GPU,those GTX10xx prices will drop to more reasonable levels as right now are overpriced and I would wait there for bit longer if you could,if not then I would pick up GTX 780 6GB version or GTX Titan X or GTX 980Ti which can be bough right now used for very reasonable money and those newer GPU don't have failure rate as those which has been manufactured previously and mostly many companies have great RMA

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura