Is it Possible to create an Instance in Poser via Python

• Just what the title says. Is it possible to create a low poly duplicate in Poser via a Python script? If not, I'm wondering if someone could explain to me the problems involved? How much different is that from the process Poser uses to create hair strands?

• That's not my understanding of an instance. I think an instance is where the renderer replicates the original geometry and source textures multiple times rather than making mesh copies. I've wondered the same thing about hair. I'm not sure whether in Poser hair is an instance or a particle system. On the surface at least it does look like instancing. I was hoping we'd get instancing with Superfly... Cycles can certainly handle it.
    To answer your question, I believe it IS possible in Poser, just not implemented yet.

• @eclark1849 said in Is it Possible to create an Instance in Poser via Python:

Just what the title says. Is it possible to create a low poly duplicate in Poser via a Python script?

It should be. At least, it's possible to sub-d a mesh in Poser using python and to replace the existing mesh with it. (Snarlygribbly's free sub-d can do this. Or is it D3D's? I forget.) So, if it can run a sub-d algorithm, I imagine one can use a similar method with a decimate algorithm and a duplicate method.

How much different is that from the process Poser uses to create hair strands?

AFAIK, those are "line models" generated in Poser and not actual 3d geometry. (They have 2 dimensions, but are moved around in 3d.)

I don't know how they're populated, but I imagine its much like instancing by hair group, according to the settings in the Hair room. And, since I hate the Hair Room more than the idea of being forced to consume Moist-Hemorrhoid Soup.... that is pretty much the limit of my knowledge on this subject and it may not even be accurate... much like Poser's Hair Room.

I can't believe we're stuck with the same disgusting Hair Room after all these iterations of Poser... Well, at least it has a dynamic hair generator, I suppose. Too bad it's not actually good for generating realistic hair other than an "exploded mop" hairstyle.

• You might want to look at Ockham's Furniturize script. It may point you in the right direction. It leans out a cr2 for duplication and may provide a basis upon which to ponder. It may not have been updated in some time.