Queue Manager Problem

• @seachnasaigh Reminded me of something that's been going on with my main Poser workstation for a while now over in this thread:

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/756/material-sampler-for-the-p11-construct/37

So I decided to post a separate thread about it, instead of hijacking his posts.

I use a mid-tower I5 system with 32 GB of RAM was my main workstation. Then I have 2 small form factor desktops sitting on the same desk, each with an I5 and 16 GB of RAM. I often use Queue Manager (QM) to render on two systems at once.

You will note that I just listed 3 systems, but I only render on two. That is because of an issue I often run into when trying to render on all three. Specifically when I try to render through QM on my main workstation.

I run Poser on the main station, and I turn off "process jobs locally" in QM on that system. I often set a scene up, submit it to QM, and then start working on the next scene. I usually do this until I have anywhere from 6 to 30 renders lined up in the Queue. Which is why I leave "process jobs locally" turned off on my main station - my main station would slow down way too much if it was rendering while I was trying to work on the next scene.

So far so good, this is working as intended. Here is where I can run into an issue though. If I'm done setting scenes up and submitting them to QM, then you would think that I could turn on "process jobs locally" on my main station and have 3 systems rendering at the same time. However, I cannot do that and here is why:

In this scenario, I cannot rely on QM on my main station to operate properly if I turn on "process jobs locally". If I do turn it on, then the local copy of QM will not properly finish any renders. It renders to 15% or 20% and then moves on to the next render. Even worse is that it tries to work on multiple renders at the same time, or that is how it appears. It will try to render 3 or 4 different jobs simultaneously instead of rendering one job until it is done. It is almost like it's trying to render one job for each core on the processor.

So QM will try to render almost 6 jobs at once: four on the local workstation and one on each of my two network nodes. The renders on the remote nodes will continue to work properly, only the local jobs don't work correctly. They will never finish.

This does not happen every single time. It happens at random. However, it happens often enough that I cannot trust QM to run properly when using all three available nodes.

Please note that this does not happen if I am only using QM on the local machine - if my two remote nodes are not turned on then QM works properly on my local machine. This only occurs in the specific scenario that I've listed above.

Anybody else ever run into this, or is it just my setup?

• Poser Ambassadors

What OS do you have, on each machine?

How are connected? Cat5e, Cat6, wireless? What speed router/switch (10/100? Gigabit?)

Do you have this problem if you set the master's Queue to process jobs locally before you begin sending jobs?

I've run batch lists both ways; with the master set to not process jobs locally, and with the master taking jobs. I've never tried to switch that while Queue was actively handling jobs.

• @seachnasaigh I don't recall right off what happens if I leave "process locally" on from the start.

All of the machines are running Windows 10, through a 10/100 router, using Cat5 (maybe 5e?)

• Poser Ambassadors

Being hardwired -as opposed to wireless- I doubt if network communication speed is a factor.

What I would want to determine is if it only happens if you switch the process jobs locally setting while job handling is in progress.

Be mindful whether you see it happen if you have process jobs locally off (and leave it off), and whether it happens if process jobs locally is on (and left on).

It will also be useful to know if this occurs with Win8.1 or with Win7.

This happened with P11Pro? (as opposed to Pro2014, Pro2012, etc)

All of my P11 machines are Win7. At the moment, though, my stuff is busy networking in Vue.

• @mr_phoenyxx If you are worried about the speed slowing down you should set the Firefly process to a lower Priority. Go into Task Manager while FFrender64.exe is running and right click the set Priority to Below normal or Low. when you use the computer Firefly will drop to a lower CPU usage and when there is nothing else running will use as much of the CPU as it can.

• @richard60 said in Queue Manager Problem:

@mr_phoenyxx If you are worried about the speed slowing down you should set the Firefly process to a lower Priority. Go into Task Manager while FFrender64.exe is running and right click the set Priority to Below normal or Low. when you use the computer Firefly will drop to a lower CPU usage and when there is nothing else running will use as much of the CPU as it can.

I should probably do that, but I've just become used to doing it the way I currently do it. :P

• @seachnasaigh You know, I am not sure if I've tried it since upgrading to PPro11. It was definitely happening in Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev.

I also have no way to test it in Win 7 or 8. It certainly used to happen when switching the setting while QM is processing jobs. It does not happen if I leave the setting completely off. I do not recall if it happens when the setting is left on.

My suspicion though is that it only happens when changing the setting while QM is already processing jobs.

• Poser Ambassadors

When I use Queue manager I have it running on 3 machines all the time.

I do a similar strategy and send the renders to the Queue. I have both Process Locally and Send to Network off on the master until I am ready to let them all be processed. I have not had any issues with doing it that way. I do not process them on the master system, I just send them to the network and let the other 2 do the renders.

I am going to play around with this and see if I can get what your getting.

Is your master machine a clean install of windows 10, or an upgrade from a previous version.
    And what version(s) of Win 10 are you running?
    And finally, do you have homegroup set up on the network?

• Poser Ambassadors

@mr_phoenyxx said in Queue Manager Problem:

@seachnasaigh I also have no way to test it in Win 7 or 8.

When I get the tasks at hand finished, I can test in Win7. Somebody else would need to cover Win8/8.1 and try to reproduce the problem on Win10.

@shvrdavid said in Queue Manager Problem:

I do a similar strategy and send the renders to the Queue. I have both Process Locally and Send to Network off on the master until I am ready to let them all be processed. I have not had any issues with doing it that way. I do not process them on the master system, I just send them to the network and let the other 2 do the renders.

It never occurred to me to use the "send jobs to network" setting as a "go" switch.
    Are your three machines Win10?

• Poser Ambassadors

Yes the 3 machines I use are win10 64 bit 1511 version (pro set to defer)

• @shvrdavid and @seachnasaigh

Two of the machines are upgrades from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, and my main machine is an upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10.

I finally got some time this week to play with this and I have not been able to reproduce the issue with Poser Pro 11. Mind you I haven't done a lot of iterations, but I did a few tests and they all worked fine.

I set up a test scene with 3 Andies: one chrome, one glass, and one marble. Basically just the default PP11 scene with Andy copied twice. Then I submitted it to QM 20 times, naming each copy with an increasing number: test 1, test 2, etc. I submitted them all with "Process Locally" turned on before opening QM. They started to render properly.

Then I turned off "Process Locally", closed QM, opened it back up, waited for the 2 nodes to start their renders, and then turned "Process Locally" back on. It rendered a single render to completion on my main station as it should have. I let the other 14 renders finish overnight at this point without touching any settings and they all completed without issue.

These were all FireFly renders, as I have not worked very much with SuperFly yet.