What would YOU change about the Poser UI???

• Blender's UI sucks. Everyone knows this, and many people have tried to change it. There will be some changes coming soon with v. 2.8. So that got me to thinking about Poser's UI. are there any improvements you would make or things you would change? One thing I would change are the little editing tools palette or window. I'd take it out and put an icon bar either across the top of the screen or along the side. I'm not a fan of the light widget either, but it's not a totally bad idea. Problem is, you can't really tell where you light is using it so I'd tweak it a bit by adding a grid overlay to it. Then, when you switch to Top view, at a glance you know where all your lights are in relation to every thing else.

So give it some thought.... what, if anything, would you change about Poser's UI.

• @eclark1849 I make the mat room more like the material window in Blender. You can zoom in and zoom out at will which is real nice. I'd also want an option to flip the material node view so it was right to left as blender does. This would make it easier to manually copy material setups posted as jpgs on the net.

I'd like to have a more reliable selection method like the way objects are selected in Daz Studio.

• @ghostship I did make a request months ago for the ability to zoom in and out in the Material room. Just have to wait and see.

• The light ball thingy. Jehoshaphat but it's a cack-handed way to go about setting up your lights.

• @eclark1849 said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

Blender's UI sucks. Everyone knows this, and many people have tried to change it.

I guess you never used Blender's old 2.4x versions, huh? I did, and trust me when I say the current UI is wonderful compared to the old 2.4x versions. Actually, I like Blender's current UI setup, and hope the new 2.8 "Default" setup will still look the same. It works well with my workflow, so I don't see a need to change it drastically.

I think the new 2.8 setup is to make it easier for those who are new to Blender; who have never used it before because they found the current 2.7x UI too hard to work with.

• @Miss-B Yeah, I did use, well it was either 2.4 or 2.5. It's been a while. Did you ever see Andrew Price's video about changing Blender's UI?

• @eclark1849 Hmmm, no it doesn't look familiar, so thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

• I plan to keep my 2.79 along with the new 2.8 when it comes out in full release, mostly because they're getting rid of the standard Blender render engine, as 2.8 will have the new EEVEE render engine.

Since I don't do final renders in Blender, and only do render checks to see how my model is progressing, to have to wait for a Cycles render to finish in that scenario, just doesn't make sense to me.

• Thought I'd see what a Poser UI facelift might look like. :)
    0_1534208376894_UI sample.jpg

I didn't do much. Mainly just added a few tabs for the lights and Bullet Physics and Editing Tools. The Edit Tools and Lights Tabs would basically just be Drop down menus.

• Hmm, now that I think of it, The Different Cameras, and Document Displays could also be a drop down menu under a Tab. That would free up that entire left side of the screen for more Viewport screen space. The Camaera and light controls could go over the viewport.

• You can right click on the image window and choose your camera from that menu if you want and then you don't need that pallet open. Document style is under the display menu.

I would like easier light controls. They are difficult. And zooming in the matroom would be cool. I would also like to see the default be for dragging pallets to be off. I'd also like the camera controls to be more spaced out. Too often the move x and y control gets crossed with the 4 handed plus thing.

I do like how the pallets are all moveable and can at least to some extent change the size and shape of them.

• @redphantom Well, I admit, I'm more after gaining viewport real estate. The nice thing about the tabs are they're labeled, so you know where and what they are.

• @eclark1849

2 monitors.

1 for the viewport, 1 for all of the palettes.

I'd like it if my preferred state would be the same for all rooms instead of me having to use the UI dots.

Speaking of that, it sure would be nice if my preferred state in the Pose tab would stay the same after I come back from one of the other tabs.

• Took back some of that viewport real estate. :)
    0_1534234765012_UI sample.png

• Poser Ambassadors

Reply to the original question : "What would you change about the Poser UI?"
    Answer : Nothing at all. Not a pixel.

All companies have a limited number of coding hrs before a next release, and the Poser UI "as is", is pretty good.

Changing the UI does not bring you faster renders, other render engines, better figures, rigging and /or clothing systems.

Let the new coding team concentrate on fixing some long outstanding bugs like obj file handling, a EEVEE similar preview, a faster and more complete Cycles, and after all these years, yes, a Poser family of figures on par or better then the competition.

At this stage, any minute "lost" on the UI is a minute "lost" for fixing bugs and improving the app, or you end up with the same app, but in different colors, and that's not what we want..

Just my personal little opinion here.

• @eclark1849 Is it on purpose that your right pallet is so wide? I know it makes it a bit easier to see the library entries, but this is a lot of lost space :)
    0_1534253538076_8dcdbabb-8e36-4c73-b551-f91df1874a73-image.png

I think my current setup leaves me enough of space :)

• @vilters said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

Reply to the original question : "What would you change about the Poser UI?"
    Answer : Nothing at all. Not a pixel.

All companies have a limited number of coding hrs before a next release, and the Poser UI "as is", is pretty good.

Changing the UI does not bring you faster renders, other render engines, better figures, rigging and /or clothing systems.

Let the new coding team concentrate on fixing some long outstanding bugs like obj file handling, a EEVEE similar preview, a faster and more complete Cycles, and after all these years, yes, a Poser family of figures on par or better then the competition.

At this stage, any minute "lost" on the UI is a minute "lost" for fixing bugs and improving the app, or you end up with the same app, but in different colors, and that's not what we want..

Just my personal little opinion here.

I agree, perhaps apart from the "New family of Poser figures"

Nobody (really) uses those anyway. I'd rather see something like Dawn/Dusk or PE and a male companion as part of Poser, if need be.

Paul2 and Pauline2 isn't bad. They just have a bad rep for being POSER figures. Nothing will change that, I am afraid. A lot of people still think of Don and Judy when they think "Native Poser figures" and go "BLECH" - without ever giving them a chance.

My favourite male figure is still the G2 Simon. He's easy to morph, looks fine out of the box and ... well ... has bits.

• @trekkiegrrrl I like Tony, I really do. But he doesn't know everything and basically, if HE likes it or hates it, that determines what he wants. Now, I never said that any improvements to the UI would make Poser a better program, but improving the UI could indeed make the program easier to use for people, especially newer users. Now, in this thread I asked if people had improvements that they would make to the UI. I concentrated primarily on increasing the viewport real Estate. A number of the panels or windows basically just sit on my desktop, unused anyway, BUT when you close them, Out of Site, Out of Mind tends to come into play. Hence, moving them to the tabs means they take up less room, and are still visible if you need them. This makes the program more enjoyable , in my opinion, and me more likely to use it even more.

I would LOVE for Poser to improve some of it's features. To be honest, a simple UI re-do for some of those like the Hair Room, Cloth Room and Bullet Physics features would also benefit the program and not only make those features easier to use, but more enjoyable. as well. And as I've said many times before, a new figure is not going to save Poser, unless it gives advice on investing in the stock market. And lastly, I'd much rather you forget the figures and leave those for others to do. From what I've seen those are usually done last minute anyway and not ver well. Where as, Interface redesigns in some cases can be done in a few days, so you literally can wait til the last minute.

• I would be happy if the stuff they already have actually worked. If I was really drunk, I would wish for a button that removed everything from the library list that wasn't in the current scene. Then, during the subsequent hangover I would like poses for figures to be anywhere else than with all the other stuff (the Poser library is a bit better than Kindle library, but not by much).

• Poser Ambassadors

Below is my normal workspace.
    But when working dual monitors? => ALL tools are on the second monitor, and the main preview/render/screen is full primary screen.

As here below : Move everything that you always use over to the left side of the screen and remove what you do not use all the time like in my case the animation window.
    0_1534263185541_Poser-UI.png

This is the closest you can get to normal life.
    One reads and writes from left to right, and this way all the tools are on the left side, (minimises mouse movement too), and brings a nice large workspace on the right.

Library is hidden by default (bookshelf button upper right hand corner) and only opened when looking for something.

Best regards, Tony