What would YOU change about the Poser UI???

• You can right click on the image window and choose your camera from that menu if you want and then you don't need that pallet open. Document style is under the display menu.

I would like easier light controls. They are difficult. And zooming in the matroom would be cool. I would also like to see the default be for dragging pallets to be off. I'd also like the camera controls to be more spaced out. Too often the move x and y control gets crossed with the 4 handed plus thing.

I do like how the pallets are all moveable and can at least to some extent change the size and shape of them.

• @redphantom Well, I admit, I'm more after gaining viewport real estate. The nice thing about the tabs are they're labeled, so you know where and what they are.

• @eclark1849

2 monitors.

1 for the viewport, 1 for all of the palettes.

I'd like it if my preferred state would be the same for all rooms instead of me having to use the UI dots.

Speaking of that, it sure would be nice if my preferred state in the Pose tab would stay the same after I come back from one of the other tabs.

• Took back some of that viewport real estate. :)
    0_1534234765012_UI sample.png

• Poser Ambassadors

Reply to the original question : "What would you change about the Poser UI?"
    Answer : Nothing at all. Not a pixel.

All companies have a limited number of coding hrs before a next release, and the Poser UI "as is", is pretty good.

Changing the UI does not bring you faster renders, other render engines, better figures, rigging and /or clothing systems.

Let the new coding team concentrate on fixing some long outstanding bugs like obj file handling, a EEVEE similar preview, a faster and more complete Cycles, and after all these years, yes, a Poser family of figures on par or better then the competition.

At this stage, any minute "lost" on the UI is a minute "lost" for fixing bugs and improving the app, or you end up with the same app, but in different colors, and that's not what we want..

Just my personal little opinion here.

• @eclark1849 Is it on purpose that your right pallet is so wide? I know it makes it a bit easier to see the library entries, but this is a lot of lost space :)
    0_1534253538076_8dcdbabb-8e36-4c73-b551-f91df1874a73-image.png

I think my current setup leaves me enough of space :)

• @vilters said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

Reply to the original question : "What would you change about the Poser UI?"
    Answer : Nothing at all. Not a pixel.

All companies have a limited number of coding hrs before a next release, and the Poser UI "as is", is pretty good.

Changing the UI does not bring you faster renders, other render engines, better figures, rigging and /or clothing systems.

Let the new coding team concentrate on fixing some long outstanding bugs like obj file handling, a EEVEE similar preview, a faster and more complete Cycles, and after all these years, yes, a Poser family of figures on par or better then the competition.

At this stage, any minute "lost" on the UI is a minute "lost" for fixing bugs and improving the app, or you end up with the same app, but in different colors, and that's not what we want..

Just my personal little opinion here.

I agree, perhaps apart from the "New family of Poser figures"

Nobody (really) uses those anyway. I'd rather see something like Dawn/Dusk or PE and a male companion as part of Poser, if need be.

Paul2 and Pauline2 isn't bad. They just have a bad rep for being POSER figures. Nothing will change that, I am afraid. A lot of people still think of Don and Judy when they think "Native Poser figures" and go "BLECH" - without ever giving them a chance.

My favourite male figure is still the G2 Simon. He's easy to morph, looks fine out of the box and ... well ... has bits.

• @trekkiegrrrl I like Tony, I really do. But he doesn't know everything and basically, if HE likes it or hates it, that determines what he wants. Now, I never said that any improvements to the UI would make Poser a better program, but improving the UI could indeed make the program easier to use for people, especially newer users. Now, in this thread I asked if people had improvements that they would make to the UI. I concentrated primarily on increasing the viewport real Estate. A number of the panels or windows basically just sit on my desktop, unused anyway, BUT when you close them, Out of Site, Out of Mind tends to come into play. Hence, moving them to the tabs means they take up less room, and are still visible if you need them. This makes the program more enjoyable , in my opinion, and me more likely to use it even more.

I would LOVE for Poser to improve some of it's features. To be honest, a simple UI re-do for some of those like the Hair Room, Cloth Room and Bullet Physics features would also benefit the program and not only make those features easier to use, but more enjoyable. as well. And as I've said many times before, a new figure is not going to save Poser, unless it gives advice on investing in the stock market. And lastly, I'd much rather you forget the figures and leave those for others to do. From what I've seen those are usually done last minute anyway and not ver well. Where as, Interface redesigns in some cases can be done in a few days, so you literally can wait til the last minute.

• I would be happy if the stuff they already have actually worked. If I was really drunk, I would wish for a button that removed everything from the library list that wasn't in the current scene. Then, during the subsequent hangover I would like poses for figures to be anywhere else than with all the other stuff (the Poser library is a bit better than Kindle library, but not by much).

• Poser Ambassadors

Below is my normal workspace.
    But when working dual monitors? => ALL tools are on the second monitor, and the main preview/render/screen is full primary screen.

As here below : Move everything that you always use over to the left side of the screen and remove what you do not use all the time like in my case the animation window.
    0_1534263185541_Poser-UI.png

This is the closest you can get to normal life.
    One reads and writes from left to right, and this way all the tools are on the left side, (minimises mouse movement too), and brings a nice large workspace on the right.

Library is hidden by default (bookshelf button upper right hand corner) and only opened when looking for something.

Best regards, Tony

• @tburzio said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

I would be happy if the stuff they already have actually worked. If I was really drunk, I would wish for a button that removed everything from the library list that wasn't in the current scene. Then, during the subsequent hangover I would like poses for figures to be anywhere else than with all the other stuff (the Poser library is a bit better than Kindle library, but not by much).

Well .. To be fair, it's not Poser's fault that vendors ect lump MAT poses ect in with the poses. It could be nice with a dedicated Morphs folder, but ... (and while we're at it, the option of MAKING folders would be awesome. That way ppl could sort it to their likings. And do a Morphs folder if they wanted)

• Poser Ambassadors

@trekkiegrrrl

Hallo my dear, add a folder is possible in the current version of the library. => See screengrab.
    0_1534264174447_add a folder.png

Hoover the mouse over the icon, and the "Add a Folder" pop up comes up. Click to create.

• @vilters Tony, again, I can get a larger screen, particularly if I hide al the panes. But you and I have been doing this for quite sometime and we know where everything is. But what about the new comer who doesn't know where the document display is, or can't figure out how to create new lights? Or even the more experience user who still complains about Poser's lights?

• @trekkiegrrrl

It would be nice if the legacy vendors would join the 21st century and make .mc6 files (the standard since Poser 6, and put them in the Materials folder, but that would mean leaving the Poser 4 workflow behind, which I don't see happening.

The good news is that Netherworks has a little product called Batch Material Converter, that will not only convert all of those pesky .pz2 material files to .mc6 miles, it will even move them to the Materials folder. I converted a 40Gb folder in less than 45 seconds.

A LOT of the non-legacy vendors are adding a Morphs folder to put .pmd & .pz2 files that the end user should never touch. It would be nice if we could move all of the !DAZ and other vendor nonsense to that folder, but everything in those arehard-coded to location.

• To be fair, it's not Poser's fault that vendors ect lump MAT poses ect in with the poses.

Here's another wild wishing from my stupor-ed fog, how about changing the favorites area so that it is saved PER FILE, and is reloaded with the "open" command. Let me put what I want in, folders too, not just files. It's more manual than the automatic it should be, but this would fulfill all my dreams. Imagine, not having to search for buried library entries when opening a file... :-)

• @ssgbryan

That is how I have mine setup - libraries on one screen and viewport on it's own screen, if you click on the little arrows in the top right hand corner of each pallete, you will find you can undock them and move them around to suit yourself.

Otherwise for me - I would change nothing, the current UI has worked for me since Poser 3, so I'm too old to change now.

• This post is deleted!

• @tastiger said in What would YOU change about the Poser UI???:

@ssgbryan

That is how I have mine setup - libraries on one screen and viewport on it's own screen, if you click on the little arrows in the top right hand corner of each pallete, you will find you can undock them and move them around to suit yourself.

Otherwise for me - I would change nothing, the current UI has worked for me since Poser 3, so I'm too old to change now.

Apparently not, or you wouldn't have moved things around to suit yourself.

• @eclark1849

I was referring to the controls, not their actual layout....